Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So what say all you who have gone from a pre-Rushmore bike to the newer ones? Is it really worth it?

I've been thinking about if I want to keep my 2011 RGU or get something newer. Of course I will stay with the Shark family if I do trade up. So let me hear the good points of going with newer? I'm not liking the idea of going back into debt but if the right bike was to be available I might do it.
So here is one choice, 2015 CVO FLTRUSE https://www.eastsideharley.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2015-Har…
Or do I go NEW NEW? Like a new CVO? If I keep my current bike I am going to do a 110" kit or maybe even go larger. Other than all the chrome I have always liked the CVO's and I really like the paint on this 2015. But I'm not sure what I gain. My biggest plus to my current bike is that it is PAID OFF. I just don't know if it is worth it? Or how about a Road Glide Special?
Let's hear your thoughts...……………

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I went from a 2012 to a 2015 and the difference was worth it in my opinion. As long as you are talking pre M8 Rushmores, the only difference really is the fairing, wheels and the H.O. engine. That's all I can think of at the moment at least. As far as upgrading and having to pay a loan on the upgrade, that is entirely on you. I just traded my '15 in on a 2019 RGUltra three weeks ago and had to acquire a loan. It was without a doubt worth it to me! CVO's are nice and if you can find the one you want used for a decent buck go for it even if it's a 2015. I think once you get that Rushmore fairing you will appreciate the improvement! Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have my 11'. the 96ci was uncracked. I just had tru duals and a tuner on it/dyno'd with the other straps-ons.

Since bringing it down the hill from CO to SC it never clicked right from me.. something just seemed a little off and I couldn't get the tuning right. Dealership dyno'd said it was good togo.

so after paying for the dyno etc. I saw a 18' sitting in the corner.

I said give me 9k for mine (it was paid for years back), and knock 3k of the 18' you got a deal. They did.

Each has a different riding position. The 18' fir more upfront. I like the fairing for the breathers. The M8 is a sweet ride. I don't feel the need to rip into to creat more power instantly. smooth and seamless.

I rode 1800mi in the NW last month and the Navigation worked as it should, with you prior map study. The radio is like all stock radio's (volume wise).

I do a loan now, but its not alot and I can double/tripple/etc on the payments, as needed.

I do miss the old mount. They have a cool classy looked and some good miles.

j

·
Super Moderator
9,600 Posts
A lot of depends at play ..

I can honestly say that the 11 is the first bike from HD ( first one in 1971 ) that I was totally satisfied with off the floor , with two exceptions 1) the bars had to go and 2) the seat was too fat ..

So I changed the bars and got a seat off a bat wing ultra from a friend ..

Only things otherwise I have done is a FP3 tuner and I gutted the cat . And I put a bat wing tour pak on in 2012 with insurance money from getting hit in a parking lot .. So now I have a lighted tour pak ..

I plan on keeping it and re powering when the time comes .. Sure I would love a new U .. I think I mentioned in another post not long ago that the 19 colors I really like ..

My issue with new , aside from I dont want payments , is I ride and my bike looks like I ride it .. It has all the battle scars of the environment and some scuffs from the accident where I was hit and some parking lot and drive way dings .. And the inner fairing really needs paint ... I get a new bike , then I get to go through all the agonies of a new bike no longer looking new and paying the bank at the same time ..

Don't get me wrong , I take care of the bike , I am anal about covering it at work , no matter the weather and the paint still looks pretty good when I clean the bike , let me repeat , when I clean the bike ...

I will either re power with a Harley long block , S&S 107 or 117 that I build , or a 124 crate or , if S&S would build a LC version of the 143 .. You get the idea , plenty of power options available ..

I got over new long ago ...........

I had the Feuling 4 valve heads on my EVO TG years ago , that was money foolishly thrown away , they were a problem ..

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
You might want to have a discussion with your auto correct.
How do you know he didn't mean that? Lol! :laugh:

OP, It's all in what you want. If you have a want for the latest model I say it's well worth it. I will agree with prior post that the riding position is different and does suck for bigger guys but we change everything anyway to make it fit so to me that would not be a big deal. I will disagree that the wind management is worse out of the box on the new ones. I put well over a 100k miles behind a Madstad windshield on my 2010 and 2012 RG's as I just couldn't find another windshield that I felt really satisfied with on the old fairing. With my 2018 I am running a 8.5" Memphis Shades shield and I am perfectly fine and don't feel the need for a Madstad. To me the 2 side vents don't really do anything for buffeting but the center vent make a noticeable difference. With all vents closed the fairing feels much like the 13' and older fairing but with the center vent opens it smooths the air that hits your head. It also depends on how your helmet reacts to the buffeting as to how much of a difference it makes. Another thing to consider is if you like it stock and don't want to do performance mods the M8 is much better. While the M8 has many manufactures making big bore kits for the M8 and you can build a 124" or 128" without splitting the cases for now I would stick with a paid off TC and put performance mods on it for the money. The new bikes do seem smoother and more nimble to me and they are great rides. It all just depends on your budget and what you think you will be happiest with.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
If you are really happy with the '11 better to keep it.

The only thing I liked about the pre-rushmore bikes was the looks. Once I test rode it I couldn't part with my money for one. The ergos were way off for me. I couldn't get the bike into neutral and the salesman said to turn it off to get into neutral. WTF? I didn't like the way the saddlebag lids worked and the reach to the stereo was awful.

When I saw the '14 rushmore touring line I became interested again and told myself I would take a hard look at the rushmore road glides. Everything about it just clicked right with me.

If you are on the fence after checking out the Rushmore Road Glides then you might as well keep what you have.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
My 2010 is set up perfectly for my liking. Runs great, looks great. Why spend 15 K + to start over. I'd also lose my warranty because the stock tune and pipes would have to go.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Had an 11 RGU...was about to get the red 15 RGU CVO till I rode the 17 RGS. Glad I did it cause I love my 17. Got an excellent trade value for my 11 and paid the difference for the 17, so she’s mine.

Would’ve had to pay a little more for the 15 CVO, but a deal breaker for me was engine heat. My 11 RGU was brutal, 15 CVO was much better but it was still there, have not felt any on my 17.

I’m pretty sure prices have come down on the 15 CVOs that they are less than new 19s, you just need to decide on what is most important for you and then execute it.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I came off a 13 RGU that I loved for a used 15 CVORGU. Like others have said, I'd say take it for a ride and if you don't know the answer then you shouldn't trade. But - for me - as much as I loved my 13 I've been totally happy w/ the new ride. I like all of the Rushmore changes - the faring, sleeker tourpac, latches, hand controls, dash layout, water cooling, braking, other stuff I can't remember. Plus I like all of the CVO shiny things that I would never have purchased - lighted hand controls, bag liners, fob locks, garage opener, paint (yes, I'm shallow), 110 (even though it blew up on me), heated grips & seat, and what ever else I can't remember. I like it so much I'm really not sure I'll ever trade - but I'm an old codger now at almost 65. I like the M8's a lot, but I'm happy enough w/ my 110 that I don't miss it too much. I know it's not a real speedster but it sure feels peppy to me. I think they're a good buy, particularly after the M8's came out. I never thought I'd really have anything this nice.

But again, go ride it and if the answer isn't clear don't trade. You're already on a great ride!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well my plans to ride it today didn't work out. This dealership has two stores and the bike is at their other store which was another 45-60 minutes away depending on traffic. My more local dealer has a 2016 CVO so I think I am going to stop by there and take that one for a ride Monday since I will be in Yakima for a doctors appointment anyhow. Then if I really think the Rushmore is all that then I'll go look at the 2015 on Tuesday.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
I mentioned on your post on the CVO sire some things but want you to see it here as well. The rear brake pedal is in a different position (higher) on the 15^ than on yours. It may give you some grief due to your leg and you'd have to change it out for an aftermarket one.

The '16 comes with tire pressure sensors while the '15 does not.

'15 has the old style light bar in the back with turn signals and the '16 does not.

Hydraulic clutch vs cable with no easy way to adjust the friction point without changing the damper spring behind the clutch basket.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Replied to you over on the CVO board.

The 2016 CVO in Yakima has been dropped a few times so the paint isn't as perfect at the 2015 appears to be. I haven't seen the 2015 in person yet so can't say.

Of course my bike WAS in great shape paint wise until today. I went to pull into a parking spot at Safeway and dumped the damn thing onto the right side. Scratched up my right saddlebag and broke my new brake lever. Getting use to riding with this prosthetic isn't as quick and painless as I had hoped. But no real damage other than my pride.

The price on the 2016 is also $4K more and that dealer isn't known for haggling on price much. But I haven't really pushed yet either. I like the paint colors of the 2015 more than the 2016 also. The 2016 is Silver.

https://www.owensharley.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2016-Harley-Davidson-Motorcycle-Scooter-FLTRUSE-CVO-Road-Glide-Ultra-CVO-owensharley-6123270?ref=list

Here is the 2016

And here is the 2015

1 - 20 of 89 Posts