Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of cheap aftermarket billet style shift levers. They were advertised as aluminum, but they appear to be steel. Do you think that the extra weight will stress the mounting spline? Also, will steel to steel mounting make it more likely that the spline will strip? Thanks.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Check them with a magnet to see if they are steel. If you get the cinch bolt torqued to spec, they won't strip. Also, if it's heal/toe, they will counterbalance each other.

So that was basically a long winded way of saying..... don't worry about it. Most shift levers are steel.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had OEM levers strip. I'd much rather that than the shafts itself. A magnet sticks to them. I'm doing heel/toe

·
Registered
820 Posts
i just bought a set of aftermarket billet alum. heel toe leavers and after dryfit installing went to take them off to locktite them and the toe leaver snapped at the mount. turns out they were cast alum not billet, so if you buy aftermarket don't get anything billet from china, next order i make on ebay will be usa made.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If the spline on the lever is cut different to the shaft it will likely do some damage or at least seize on the shaft causing damage to one or other on removal.
So, does your American motorcycle have AF or metric spindle spline ?
I don't know.
The difference would be the angle and height of the 'teeth'.
My 'guess' is the spline cutter in China is metric.

If it slips on nice and snug just like the OEM then it should be fine. I'm Australian but I'll say it anyway "support (your) local industry, BUY U.S. MADE"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts