Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody had done this and if they had any symptoms of it being loose. I have a weird feeeling in the Bars. So when Bike is Parked, I turn the Bars to the Left or Right and stop like Half way (If that make any sense) I get a feeling like the wheel is still turning and feels loose to me. It like almost shakes. If so is it a tough job?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
It's not a tough job, but its a little bit annoying. The test is too jack it up and turn the bars all the way to the left or right. Make sure it can swing freely, ie no tight brake or clutch cable. It should swing between 1.5-3x's I believe. Someone will confirm. The easy way to test it is set your cruise control around 50mph, let go of the handlebars and if she shakes like hell it needs to be tightened.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
For what its worth I have the same feeling on my '04 RGU, found it was the rubber bushing's worn. I removed the speedo bezel and can see the bushings esp the left one moving. Haven't replaced them yet. But it felt like front axel loose kind of like an old school springer with wheel flop when turning bars left to right while stopped

·
Registered
57 Posts
For what its worth I have the same feeling on my '04 RGU, found it was the rubber bushing's worn. I removed the speedo bezel and can see the bushings esp the left one moving. Haven't replaced them yet. But it felt like front axel loose kind of like an old school springer with wheel flop when turning bars left to right while stopped
For what its worth I thought when we determined the wheel was fine I would have bet my last dollar that steering head was loose.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I can always tell when my rear shocks are low on air, I get the wobble. Once I put over 40lbs (ussually go to 48) the wobble goes away. Just pointing out that the wobble isn't always because of the head bearing. Tire pressure can cause it too.

Also, your supposed to remove all cables from the bars when doing the swing test. Most people don't because of the hassle of removing the brake cable. Just sayin...

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
It's not a tough job, but its a little bit annoying. The test is too jack it up and turn the bars all the way to the left or right. Make sure it can swing freely, ie no tight brake or clutch cable. It should swing between 1.5-3x's I believe. Someone will confirm. The easy way to test it is set your cruise control around 50mph, let go of the handlebars and if she shakes like hell it needs to be tightened.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The swing got changed to 1.5 a few years ago . Mine is under 1 with all cables / wires connected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts