Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've the front of the 2011 RGU broken down per the manual - and can see the adjuster nut - even have a tool to reach the nnut but not sure how to proceed. IS the adjuster nut fairly tight so need to tap the tool with a mallet? Should I be able to reach in there and turn it fairly easily? What has someone found to be the easiest way to reach the adjuster nut? Any video? (already looked on you tube but not finding anything other than where the nut is)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You first have to loosen the top clamp bolt, and also the lower pinch bolts for the legs.

Yes, you are going to need to tap on the tool with a small hammer.

It's not easy to get to, even if you buy/fabricate the special tool, you can also get to it with a long narrow drift. You need to crank bars all the way right and get very low to see the star nut... they probably couldn't have made it any more difficult to get to if they had tried... tap tap tap, test it... just go slow.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
You first have to loosen the top clamp bolt, and also the lower pinch bolts for the legs.

Yes, you are going to need to tap on the tool with a small hammer.

It's not easy to get to, even if you buy/fabricate the special tool, you can also get to it with a long narrow drift. You need to crank bars all the way right and get very low to see the star nut... they probably couldn't have made it any more difficult to get to if they had tried... tap tap tap, test it... just go slow.
Perfect answer. I bent a long ass screwdriver. Take your time tap it a little and check the fall away. It's a major pain in the ass.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DONE! What a major PITA. Thanks for the help everyone. BTW - I greased teh bearing per the manual and like others - it took a whole lot of grease before it peeked out from the bearings.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yesterday I decided to check the grease in my head bearing. Pumped half a tube of grease into it and still did not see any "peeking" out. Stopped at half a tube as I just knew the grease MUST be piling up somewhere and makin' a big mess. Rode the bike last night found no mess this morning so will add more today. It amazes me how empty the head tube comes from the factory. :confused:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The factory only greases the bearings so that first greasing takes a ton... and just wait for a nice hot day... you'll have that crap oozing all over the lower tree and dripping down the left fork leg... think of it as rust proofing the front end. ;-)

·
Registered
765 Posts
"You need to crank bars all the way right and get very low to see the star nut..."

There's a little detail the manual missed..... no wonder I can't find it! :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts