Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing new Handlebars polyurethane bushings and monotubes. Now on the ignition switch fork lock doesn't work, ignition and accessory work fine. the wheel also sticks and feels tight when turning to full left. It's smooth turning and coming back to center on the right side

Thanks
Masque

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Triple checked everything nothing binding bushings torqued down cable length is fine still having stiff and full left sticking now having trouble realigning and getting the ignition back in.

Any help would be greatly appreciate

Thanks
Masque

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm hoping it's just that the tumblers are miss aligned been trying to get them aligned with different length screw drivers. Not going too well dealer doesn't have the alignment tool in stock. Figured the sticking while turning left was the steering lock. So I have it fully to the left and trying to align the tumblers to the lock position

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just went through this last week the screwdriver does work to realign the ignition switch you may have to look at the switch and the tumblers and align it up look down there with a flashlight and turn them when it looks close put the ignition switch in. I used electrical tape around the screwdriver to make it a little wider. It takes patience

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've never made the tool but by the looks of it 1/4" tubing should be good. It just needs to be narrow enough to fit in the hollow channel.

I've always ended up screwing around with mine for about 30 minutes and cursing at it. What I ended up doing is inserting the lock just far enough to turn the top/ bottom "tumbler" separately, until they are both lined up with each other. It seemed like one was always off 90 or 180 degrees and it was trial and error to get it lined up again.

Just gotta try to keep your cool and keep playing with it, eventually it will line up and work properly. Good luck

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got it in and lined up I have ignition and accessory but no fork lock and sticking and resistance when turning full left. Full right is smooth and goes all the way till the sliders hit the engine guard :banghead::banghead::mad::mad:

·
Registered
852 Posts
If it won't lock (I am assuming that you are talking about fork lock not the key) you still do not have the tumblers aligned. This is a PIA and takes a lot of patience. I went through this on my other bike. Same exact problem of not locking. Took me an hour or so to get it right. I thought I was going to lose my mind I was so frustrated. Use a flashlight and screwdriver to align them (you may have to turn them) until ignition goes in and everything works. Hindsight but I always turn it to lock, remove the ignition, remove the parts I need to, reinsert ignition and finger tighten, work on the bike and then reverse to reassemble. If it is still sticking turning left after the ignition is right then it sounds like you have a bind with the pinch bolts on the forks (not sure if you said you had tightened those or not. Loosen everything off and I'll bet it turns fine. Tighten each bolt a bit at a time until you finally get to the proper torque. If not that check that your clutch cable or brake line is long enough. Nothing in the riser clamps would make it hard to turn left.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally a friend and I figured it all out. Used a home made tool ( 1/4 copper tube flattened out) screw driver to align the ignition switch.

The sticking while turning left was due to over tightening the left fork cap bolt.

The issue with the fork slider touching the engine guard while turning right was due to the engine bar being improperly installed.

Thanks for all the replies

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.