Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,
When im riding and listening to music, my stereo will randomly stop playing, as in the sound will stop but the stereo itself is still on. I have to turn off the stereo and then turn it back on in order to get the sound back.

There is nothing i have noticed to make it do this, such as hit a bump, too much bass, too loud.
Sometimes it turns on and wont go off for a hours..other times it plays for 10 seconds then turns off

any clue as to what this could be?

thanks
Erik

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
What year bike, and is it the stock stereo?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Fellas,
When im riding and listening to music, my stereo will randomly stop playing, as in the sound will stop but the stereo itself is still on. I have to turn off the stereo and then turn it back on in order to get the sound back.

There is nothing i have noticed to make it do this, such as hit a bump, too much bass, too loud.
Sometimes it turns on and wont go off for a hours..other times it plays for 10 seconds then turns off

any clue as to what this could be?

thanks
Erik
If it is a stock HD stereo, the best source for info is Iron Cross Audio. Their experience and service on the Harmon Cardon stereo is unmatched.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 07 fltr
everything for the stereo is stock.

when the sound shuts off, i press the "speaker" switch to neutral (between on and off) and it starts playing again.. once it shuts off again, i switch the button the on (where the light turns on)

its incredibly frustrating having to switch the button back and forth 100x on a trip

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
I have an 07 fltr
everything for the stereo is stock.

when the sound shuts off, i press the "speaker" switch to neutral (between on and off) and it starts playing again.. once it shuts off again, i switch the button the on (where the light turns on)

its incredibly frustrating having to switch the button back and forth 100x on a trip
Sounds like the speaker switch is going bad. Probably why they got rid of that switch soon after.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same thing happening on my 13 Ultra before and after the PBR 300x4 amp install.
First dealer just told me to just turn down the volume which of course did not work.
I went to another and they replaced my radio now no problem.

One thing that a tech did tell me was that when the internal amp in the radio stopped working it work kill the radio as well....only way to fix was to restart the radio

Or have it replaced which is what I was able to have done.

And at the same time I have found a new dealer to take my business to.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
If it is the radio, and not the switch, Iron cross audio is the place to go for repair.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It could be a speaker going bad. If the voice coil in the speaker is beginning to fail it will dead short the amplifier output of the radio and you will get no sound. With it being a sparatic problem just the speaking playing even at a low volume could cause the speaker to short. A little hard to do but disconnect one speaker and try it and see if the problem persists. If so then reconnect it and disconnect the other speaker. Any speaker wire shorted to ground or to the opposite polarity speaker lead will cause this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts