Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks to NakedSnowman and TracyB for feedback and info that helped me decide which way to go with my stereo upgrade.

I completed the first phase which consists of Head unit replacement, amplifier, and 4 6.5" speakers installed in the fairing. I used the following equipment:

Head Unit - Alpine IDA-x100M (marine certified)
Amplifier - Alpine KTP-445
Speakers - 1 pair Polk db651
- 2 pair Polk DXi650
Stereo replacement kit - biketronics BT1005

The following is a youtube video of my sound check after I installed the system. http://youtu.be/CWDHGqAP8FQ

Now, I need to save for the phase 2 which will include
CycleSounds 6x9 speaker lids with a paint job - I already have a set of Polk MOMO 6x9s ready to install.

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
Sounds great Juiced....Looks good too! Did I tell ya you can download different backgrounds for the screen? I found a green & blue one for mine to match a lil better.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Looking good!!!!! No problem on the help....That's why we're here.....Get them lids and some extensions for the bags, and you'll be rollin!!!!!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking good!!!!! No problem on the help....That's why we're here.....Get them lids and some extensions for the bags, and you'll be rollin!!!!!!
Yea, lids, extensions, wheels, handlebars, etc... It doesn't stop, does it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
First, thanks to NakedSnowman and TracyB for feedback and info that helped me decide which way to go with my stereo upgrade.

I completed the first phase which consists of Head unit replacement, amplifier, and 4 6.5" speakers installed in the fairing. I used the following equipment:

Head Unit - Alpine IDA-x100M (marine certified)
Amplifier - Alpine KTP-445
Speakers - 1 pair Polk db651
- 2 pair Polk DXi650
Bike looks great!
How do you like the amp? Fits in the fairing? Do you have space behind the 2 pair of speakers of did you have to cut into the glove box?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mounted the amp on the left side of the radio mount. The amp works fine. The sound quality is great. There are more powerful amps out there, but for the price and performance and ease of installation, it's hard to beat.

The Polk db651's mount on the inner fairing and didn't require any cutting of the glove boxes.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
123 Posts
are the DXi650 marine grade? Do you like the DXi650 over the DB651? I was also looking into the MM651 and DB651s...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
All of the polks are marine grade. The DXi's are positioned between the db and mm series. I like them so far but I like the db's as well.

I have used and plan to use my Polk mm Momo series 6x9's once I get my audio lids for the bags. If the rest of the mm series performs like my 6x9's then I believe that the mm6.5 will be awesome. I don't think that the mm 6.5s would fit in the inner fairing without glovebox modifications.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The KTP-445 amplifier is designed to be plug and play with late model Alpine head units. So once the Biketronics adapter is wired to the Alpine radio harness (power, ground, accessory power, speakers), you plug the Alpine radio harness plug into one side of the KTP-445. The other side of the amplifier has a harness connected that you plug into the Alpine radio. That is it.

I mounted the amplifier on the left side of the fairing by fastening it to the radio mounting. The amplifier is small, so there is no space issue with mounting it.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have been trying to find online the question I'm about to ask and I hope it comes out the way I'm thinking. I use to have some Polk DB's that had the tweeter mounted in the center as well as the DXI650, however if I recall correctly the actuall speaker cone floated around the base or pillar of the tweeter and if it obviously rained and filled that part it would let water in. So while the speaker is marine grade it had a serious downfall of leaking water. Now, those speakers were mounted on a batwing fairing and well, water would never really or have a chance to just sit there, but on our beloved road glides, this could be possible, so my question is do the DXI's have a closed sealed cone woofer sorrounding the tweeter base or pillar? I hope this makes sense. I guess I'll just have to buy it and I guess since quite a few members here are using them without any problem it shouldn't be a problem for me. I'm just an inquisitive mind. Thanks in advance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts