Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried or heard anything good or bad about the Jensen HD1BT. Plug and play for harley?
It's $500 and a kenwood or alpine or pioneer are all less expensive. But i kinda like the option of plug and play with no other kits required. Thanks guy's and gal's

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
714 Posts
Has anyone tried or heard anything good or bad about the Jensen HD1BT. Plug and play for harley?
It's $500 and a kenwood or alpine or pioneer are all less expensive. But i kinda like the option of plug and play with no other kits required. Thanks guy's and gal's

I don't have any experience with the radio, but it doesn't have pre-amp outputs. Ideally you'd want line-level output if you're going to add an amp. That alone would make me pick something different.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
If it plugs directly into the OEM slot, but cost $500 what exactly does it do that the OEM doesn't? For $500 I can buy a good after market radio with plenty of features, the adapter kit, and still have money left.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's $500 and a kenwood or alpine or pioneer are all less expensive. But i kinda like the option of plug and play with no other kits required.
$500 list. I'd imagine you'll be able to find it for about $100 less from a discounter when it comes out in a month. I like the looks of it. Not having to buy an install kit for $250 (Hawg Wired Radio Install Kit with housing, bracket, and wiring adapter) makes the price most reasonable/understandable. But... it only plays digital media, no cd's (if that's a deal breaker). Plug-and-play is worth the extra cost IMHO.

Yes, there are car stereos out there that can be had a lot cheaper. But, when you add up the plug-and-play ability, water & dust proof, factory look & colors, Bluetooth ready, & Sirius capable, it adds up enough for me. Had it been out last year when I bought all new stuff and went through the pains of the install, I'd have bought it. If I have to do it again, I'd seriously look at buying one. HTH.

it doesn't have pre-amp outputs. Ideally you'd want line-level output if you're going to add an amp.
Not true. The RF PBR300x2 is one of the best amps for bikes like ours and it performs better hands down using the speaker level inputs. In fact, the RF instructions have you cut off the RCA ends when using the speaker level inputs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
From what i can see, the only benefit of the new jennsen over an aftermarket radio would be the waterproofing. I have read that even the "marine" radios still are not waterproof just water resistent and can still break if cought in rain or from direct spray due to washing. but for $500 you get way more features with another radio.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I want to see someone put this radio in a bucket of water and still have it play if it's truly waterproof, :D even with that unless it has outstanding sound and a few other qualifications, I'm still not interested. :cool:

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't care How many "Features or Gizmos" that thing has....Its a Jensen. Any Pioneer or Alpine Unit will out-perform that Radio in a Heart Beat,,,,

·
Registered
220 Posts
No audio outs? It says it says wise ..

It's also Sirius/XM ready, so you can add a SiriusXM tuner and antenna and control stations from the clear red and black face of the unit. And if the 50 watts x 4 channel isn't enough, front and rear line-outs are included for adding additional amplifiers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, in looking over the owners manual, there are 2 sets of RCA outs and 1 set of RCA ins, along with a plug in for a Sirius receiver, a USB in, blue amp power out, and a couple of proprietary Jensen ins. It also has an input for the HD wiring harness plug and another for the HD deutsch speaker plug. Looks pretty complete to me...

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd like to see a review of the quality of the unit. Maybe MAYBE it puts out decent sound.
Plug n play is nice, but you can have an Alpine and HawgWired adapter for less than this Jensen. And the adapter isn't hard to install at all (getting the faring back on is harder than wiring the adapter!)

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I'd like to see a review of the quality of the unit. Maybe MAYBE it puts out decent sound.
Plug n play is nice, but you can have an Alpine and HawgWired adapter for less than this Jensen. And the adapter isn't hard to install at all (getting the faring back on is harder than wiring the adapter!)
My thoughts also, but you still have to remove the fairing for the Jensen, not to mention if you keep the bike for awhile and want to change out the HU, with the hawgwired that won't be a problem. I'm probably prejudiced, but I haven't been impressed with anything Jensen has put out since the mid 80s. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SPH-L710

1 - 19 of 19 Posts