Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Harley dealer in Santa Maria CA yesterday to trade in my 2012 FLTRX. Wow!! $38K for a Road Glide Limited. So now I'm looking to upgrade my 2012 that has 70,000 miles. I'm a highly capable A&P mechanic. I want to pull the motor, tear it down and do a killer build. I would like to go with 107 cylinders, high compression pistons, a hefty set of cams (maybe geared), heads, bigger throttle body. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would talk to fuel moto for some ideas.i have 50000 miles on 2011-due to some issues with the 110 I would put new bearings in lower end.i look at my age-71-and wonder where i'll be in 5 or 10 years-for me the cost of new engine would be less than difference in new bike-maybe--good luck

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
definitely less money to upgrade your engine, and you have myriad possibilities on that front. but just out of curiosity, what did you expect to spend on a new bike, and what did the dealer do to justify a $10,000 price increase over msrp?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
definitely less money to upgrade your engine, and you have myriad possibilities on that front. but just out of curiosity, what did you expect to spend on a new bike, and what did the dealer do to justify a $10,000 price increase over msrp?
Blacked out option, custom two tone paint, RDRS, fright, CA emissions, and sales tax you're there pretty easy if he didn't try and deal.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Blacked out option, custom two tone paint, RDRS, fright, CA emissions, and sales tax you're there pretty easy if he didn't try and deal.
Yep, that sounded high but I added it up with the options Craig pointed out ^^^. With California sales tax (7.25%) and a $500 "Set up" charge they all throw in, it came to $37,032.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He was a little arrogant to begin with. When I asked why is the price more than what is advertised on the HD website he began to show me all the listed BS on the price tag. His final remark was "that's the price". Pretty much, like it or leave it. Thinking of test riding a Gold Wing.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I would definitely email ALL the managers at that joint and tell them of the smug salesman. Is that the only dealer near you? Have you bought stuff from them in the past? Good luck with your next moves bud.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Laidlaw? Harley claim they do not mark their bikes up. I have no idea where in Cali they are, but.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Was out in Cali in '16 and stopped at a couple of dealers. They all had the sales tax included in the price on the tag they put on them . Was a little scary at first as none of the dealers around here do that.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,472 Posts
Lots of options out there , doing the work yourself ?? look at the S&S 107 , think it's 10.5 CR , comes with pistons and cylinders , around $1100 I thinketh , gear drive cams around $700 or so ..

JtB

·
Registered
342 Posts
Maybe look at the used bikes. I've already seen '18 and '19's for sale with low miles.
I don't think I would buy a used 17.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
He was a little arrogant to begin with. When I asked why is the price more than what is advertised on the HD website he began to show me all the listed BS on the price tag. His final remark was "that's the price". Pretty much, like it or leave it. Thinking of test riding a Gold Wing.
Hi Drjones, maybe check out the new Indian Challenger. It is liquid cooled, 122 horsepower off the floor, mono rear shock, comfortable and the Dark Horse version is $28k.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Hi Drjones, maybe check out the new Indian Challenger. It is liquid cooled, 122 horsepower off the floor, mono rear shock, comfortable and the Dark Horse version is $28k.
Actually $27,499 for the Darkhorse and the black limited is $27,999 with the colored limited coming in at $28,749. Not that I priced them out at all. Lol

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Actually $27,499 for the Darkhorse and the black limited is $27,999 with the colored limited coming in at $28,749. Not that I priced them out at all. Lol

OP was looking at a limited...that means he's probably wanting a tour pak. An Indian tour pak is around $3500. So that bumps it up a little. No where near what he was quoted, but then again he never really said what exact bike he was looking at....so the price might have be just about right.

On a side note I read that there was no harness right now to make the rear speakers or lights work as of right now.....but that may just be hearsay.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Maybe look at the used bikes. I've already seen '18 and '19's for sale with low miles.
I don't think I would buy a used 17.

Good luck.
Just curious, what is difference between the 17 vs 18s? Resale?

·
Registered
5,379 Posts

I'm guessing because of the first year of the M8. They actually did work out maybe 1 of the bugs in it by 2018. lol

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm guessing because of the first year of the M8. They actually did work out maybe 1 of the bugs in it by 2018. lol
What I have heard and read about is:

1) Transmission to Primary Xfer and Vent Fix:
2) Oil Pump Sumping (Stage-4 only?):
3) Leaky Valve Seats:
4) Minor Leaky Rocker Box Gasket: New P/N available now

Great Summary:

Other significant issues anybody?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yup,, that's it. I personally won't buy an M8. I'm pretty happy with my '15 Road Glide and don't see the cost to advantage ratio.

Reactions: Road dawg
1 - 20 of 26 Posts