Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So among other problems I ran into while installing my new bars, my new Avon grips were sticking pretty bad on the throttle side. I did some searching and someone suggested making a tool. They said they used a dowel rod, cut it and put some sandpaper in it to put in a drill. I did that, and it worked great, so here's a picture for anyone else that may have this problem. I got a dowel road at Home Depot for like 80 cents, and some emery paper and sandpaper. Cut a slit in the top (be careful, it broke and I cut my finger open lol) then I folded the sandpaper up into a cylinder shape to fit inside the grip, and honed out the inside using the drill.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You sure you didn't just have the grip/hand control pushed to far onto the bar? There should be some play in the grip on the throttle side of the bar.....ie: you should be able to move the grip back and forth a little on the bar.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it was on correctly, I guess it's a common problem with those grips. Used the home made tool and it works great now

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Yeah it was on correctly, I guess it's a common problem with those grips. Used the home made tool and it works great now
Very common problem when using aftermarket bars. I experienced the same myself on two different sets of Avon Grips. By far the worst were the Avon Air Cushion grips.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Originally, thought I had the same problem when I put mine on. Did not believe it, and didn't think about it. My problem wound up being that the notch end of the bars was slightly spread. I could take my finger and flick the grip and it would slide easily to a certain point. Sanded the grip area on bars and same thing. Now the problem may have been imperfection on the interior of grip, but when I pinched the splits on the bar ends a bit with the grip sensor installed and not damaging the grip sensor. It was just a very slight closing of the spread on the notch of the bars, the grip slid on like a dream. Just my experience. May help somebody.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts