Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the front pads and rebuilt the calipers on my 06. I bleed the heck out of them but the brakes still feel soft. There is no air in the lines that I can tell. Also, when the bike is rolling I can hear the front braks rubbing on the rotors.
I rebuilt the calipers because they were grabbing the rotors while running. It looked like dot 5 had been mixed with the dot 4 in the master cylinder, so i flushed it all out at the time i rebuilt the calipers. Any idea's on why the brakes are still rubbing the rotors?

It stops good (even if it feels soft) but the rubbing is driving me crazy
dh

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
did you slather grease on the backside of the pads, patricularily the area around the piston actuator bungs?

I've had luck doing brakes before, but other times, well, I'll end up having someone who does it all day look at it also.

PB-50 or simple green can remove residue from the rotors.

keep us posted

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
took some steel wool to the pistons to make sure they were smooth and used the grease in the kit to lubricate them. they went in fine.
My next step may be to flush out the system again and start from scratch, refilling with dot 4 and re-bleeding the system.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Are the rotors good and true, did you check the run-out??????
I know on some of the early 2000 and up bikes you could hear the pads rubbing or scrubbing as you rode down the highway. The new pads have a template and a tube of substance you apply to the back of the pads....
Your on the right track about flushing the entire system down, make sure you buy a new sealed bottle of brake fluid, for some reason an open bottle will attract moisture....
Good Luck

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I did the brakes on my car, using the supplied packet, still squeeled, took them apart the next weekend, put a huge glob of sta-lube, a bunch, about 10-20 times what was in a supplied packet, in the tracks and behind the pads, very quiet, very efficient. I think the grease will help stabilize the pads until they burn in to the shape of the rotors.

autozone, $4-6, maybe less, is used the synthetic one I think.

hope you get it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sounds like it could be warped rotors, check the run out. I always use brake cleaner on the rotors after assembly to get any residue off of them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got her done.
took some #600 emry cloth and smoothed out the inside of the rotors. Alls quiet now and plenty of stoppage.
thanks
dh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts