Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a flat black Harley-Davidson helmet, purchase back in 2014, the flat black has become very sticky the whole outside of her helmet is sticky, she wears hers a lot, tried many things to clean it up with including alcohol, and gasoline.
In the process of trying to get the stickiness off her helmet, all of the flat black has come off and it's turn to a shiny helmet that is still sticky.
I carry my helmet with me it's actually in a bag and rides on the back of my bike oh, so if it rains or turns tonight I actually have a helmet to put on, this weekend while riding I actually had to put my helmet on, I noticed that it was sticky as well, but not near as bad as my wife's, has anybody else experienced this or is it just me, I'm afraid to try anything on my helmet for it might be like my wife's full the flat black off and turn it shiny. I love this helmet from the rip it does everything I wanted to do
so buying a new one is really not an option, I just want to know if somebody has any ideas to help remove the stickiness and not remove the flat black off the helmet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

TexasSmoket

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Might be tree sap? Maybe some GooGone would work or first try Dawn soap.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paint it to recoat it?
That might be the best option, I have never had this happen to any helmet.
I really did not care so much, because it was the wife's helmet, but now my helmet is beginning to do the same thing, I actually wonder if it's because I live so close to the beach. My wife thinks I should just put a a graphic sticker that is flat and black over it, but I paid a very amount of good amount of money for my helmet just don't think paint is the option, as long as I've been writing I have never experienced anything like this as far as the helmet goes, crazy
But I will say this I am pretty good with a rattle can, they look into the vinyl graphics a Little Closer, either or the helmet is flat black so it shouldn't be that hard to paint, I was hoping there would be something like oops or goo be gone or something that would bring it back to its original texture
But the rattle can is an option,

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,067 Posts
Well. Now that you've poured gas and alcohol on it. I'd be getting a new helmet. I replace my helmet every 4 years. Mostly due to the interior glues lifespan and it usually starts to fail. Not sure if the shell is porous now that the paint is gone. But it would be in the trash at my house. That's just MO.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have one like that. I spoke with the dealer about it and they had a pre prepared response. By the time they get sticky, they are past the expiration date.

The one I have has a flat rubbery coating on the outside. And either it has oxidized and become sticky, or the sun/UV broke the material down and made it that way. It was always a little hard to wipe the bugs off of it, buy once it got sticky, cleaning it just made a bigger mess.

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
740 Posts
I have had that happen while living in San Diego. It was a HD 1/2, black and turned tacky. Not overly. I never tried to do anything to it, just admired the big collections etc…
After moving to CO tackiness went away..

I look at it as a sign that I was to get the hell out of CA!

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know I forget, I have been told that helmet actually has an expiration date although I've never seen it, my wife wears her helment every time the bike fires up, but I don't it takes a nasty rain storm, or nighttime for me to put the helmet on , so my helmet has very little wear on it. What Hillman is also been kept in a helmet bag with a fleece lining, so the stickiness thing, it's starting to happen to my helmet not as bad as my wife but I see the writing on the wall....... I know they have vinyl wraps, four trucks, golf carts, motorcycles, I was thinking I could order a vinyl wrap, and cut it to fit the helmet. But so far flat black paint, is sounding better and better.. .
I'm almost to the point of where I like the idea of replacing the helmet for the wife,
The problem is the helmet still in good shape, the padding hasn't fell out, or worn out, so the helmet is basically in good condition, as for my helmet, I just don't know the answer, which is why I made this post....
I'm also glad to see that I am not the only one with this problem...

·
Registered
168 Posts
The reason for getting a new helmet every 5 years is the the shell material breaks down. A 7 year old helmet should find the garbage can.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update.....

I'm kind of pissy right now, cuz somebody on this post had to mention expiration date, ain't mentionin no names, but it got me to thinking, so I got on the internet did a little bit of searching, and found out the average helmet life is 5 years, that is if you haven't been in a wreck or dropped it a few times, I thought I was going to get lucky cuz I looked and I looked for the manufacture date on my helmet, I finally pulled away the lining inside the helmet, and sure enough there was a manufacturing date, with a warning right next to it, with a sticker on when to replace the helmet. So now I'm kind of upset because my helmet still looks like brand new, yuuuupppp I did say it brand new, it's just a little sticky on the outside.
My wife must never know,
but I think I will just go ahead and replace hers, and make her think I did it out of the goodness of my heart.🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
740 Posts
We’re all a little sticky on the outside.

im getting a new one now. And I knew all that information about the exterior break down etc…. From my shoei days….
ive worn it daily for… ever. Just didn’t care enough….

time to grow up a bit.

·
Registered
2009 road glide
36 Posts
Update.....

I'm kind of pissy right now, cuz somebody on this post had to mention expiration date, ain't mentionin no names, but it got me to thinking, so I got on the internet did a little bit of searching, and found out the average helmet life is 5 years, that is if you haven't been in a wreck or dropped it a few times, I thought I was going to get lucky cuz I looked and I looked for the manufacture date on my helmet, I finally pulled away the lining inside the helmet, and sure enough there was a manufacturing date, with a warning right next to it, with a sticker on when to replace the helmet. So now I'm kind of upset because my helmet still looks like brand new, yuuuupppp I did say it brand new, it's just a little sticky on the outside.
My wife must never know,
but I think I will just go ahead and replace hers, and make her think I did it out of the goodness of my heart.🤣🤣🤣🤣
Quite a while ago I was in the motorcycle industry and all helmet manufactures have a 5 year life span, even if it just sits on the shelf. I've been riding since I was 12 and a lot of my helmets didn't even make it to 1 year mark which is probably why at 42 I feel like I fell out a 4 story window every morning, lol. With all the sweat and hair products the inside is usually nasty also. Sorry to say but time for new lids, plus the dome is a good thing to keep nice. Check out cycle gear on line they ship to house and usually have good prices.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boy I was pissy then, I'm really pissy now, peer pressure is a motherfu.......
So I went ahead a ordered a helmet for my wife from DK, a Shoei J-O , I paid more for her helment ($400) than I did for both of helments that we currently have...
But she will be happy.... and for what I paid for her helmet....... I will just wait till my helmet to gets really sticky........and paint it!!!!!
Helmet Sports gear Peripheral Font Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Update.....

My wife must never know,
Back in the late 80's or early 90's the NHRA kept changing the lid rules. First it was full face, then the next year it was snell and some date. Well having just bought a full face the year before, I just upgraded the sticker on mine. And then when the next change came, I changed the sticker again. Then one winter I was at Gainesville Fl. and tech actually was checking lids. They guy looked at the sticker, picked at it a little, then pulled the lining out. Right on the inside the original date and classification was pressed into the plastic. He cut the strap off of it and told the guys on the line to make sure they checked everything on my car. That's how I found out that there was a date under the liner. And what dicks the tech guys at Gainesville were.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
677 Posts
My wife has a flat black Harley-Davidson helmet, purchase back in 2014, the flat black has become very sticky the whole outside of her helmet is sticky, she wears hers a lot, tried many things to clean it up with including alcohol, and gasoline.
In the process of trying to get the stickiness off her helmet, all of the flat black has come off and it's turn to a shiny helmet that is still sticky.
I carry my helmet with me it's actually in a bag and rides on the back of my bike oh, so if it rains or turns tonight I actually have a helmet to put on, this weekend while riding I actually had to put my helmet on, I noticed that it was sticky as well, but not near as bad as my wife's, has anybody else experienced this or is it just me, I'm afraid to try anything on my helmet for it might be like my wife's full the flat black off and turn it shiny. I love this helmet from the rip it does everything I wanted to do
so buying a new one is really not an option, I just want to know if somebody has any ideas to help remove the stickiness and not remove the flat black off the helmet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

TexasSmoket
I understand your concern about the finish however I was taught years ago our helmets need replacing every five years to maintain safety. The finish you describe most likely means the entire unit is compromised.I followed that schedule pretty close I did replace mine this year after close to 6 years.April is helmet month and you can get some money off check your local dealer come spring .Just payed forward insurance.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back in the late 80's or early 90's the NHRA kept changing the lid rules. First it was full face, then the next year it was snell and some date. Well having just bought a full face the year before, I just upgraded the sticker on mine. And then when the next change came, I changed the sticker again. Then one winter I was at Gainesville Fl. and tech actually was checking lids. They guy looked at the sticker, picked at it a little, then pulled the lining out. Right on the inside the original date and classification was pressed into the plastic. He cut the strap off of it and told the guys on the line to make sure they checked everything on my car. That's how I found out that there was a date under the liner. And what dicks the tech guys at Gainesville were.
I have actually raced at Gainesville Raceway, back in 91 I took an 86 Trans Am and put a fuel injected Stroker motor in it, it was one hot mess, I was lucky I had people that took me under their wing to help me get a lot of things straightened out oh, I actually had to drive to Daytona to pick up 3 custom cams that crane had made for my engine, Don Garlits also took me under his wing and helped me with the tune far as the prom in the ecm, then they couldn't be flashed, he burned the prom that plugged 88 Corvette, Don Garlits also turn me to a club called street legal, my car was way ahead of its time, it was so fast but they wouldn't let me race because it was faster that 11 seconds back then anything faster than 11 seconds had to have a roll cage, my car was running low 10's at from anywhere 140mph to145mph depending on whether I kept it in third or shifted into fourth. Me being from Texas I thought I knew everything about drag racing oh, let me tell you something Florida blows Texas away when it comes to racing, when I moved from Florida back to Texas I took everybody's money with my Trans Am, would drive to Oklahoma just to make money oh, back in the day that car dynoed at 430 horsepower oh, that's a lot considering he barely had 200 horsepower from the factory. I learned more about drag racing in Florida than I had all my life in Texas.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
i had a helmet that did that. in my case, it was from the louisiana heat. i ended up using a plastic scraper and removed all the flat and was left with a carbon fiber look gloss. it actually looked pretty good. to get the sticky off, i used goo-gone.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i had a helmet that did that. in my case, it was from the louisiana heat. i ended up using a plastic scraper and removed all the flat and was left with a carbon fiber look gloss. it actually looked pretty good. to get the sticky off, i used goo-gone.
One thing I did not take intp consideration, was the Texas Heat, now that really makes sense....
I pulled the trigger on a new helmet for the misses, my helmet still looks brand-new inside , so I am going to take the advice and get all the flat black off of my helment ........

1 - 20 of 32 Posts