Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
yeah, your heat is pretty much the same as mine. i live 13 miles from texas.

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
The reason for getting a new helmet every 5 years is the the shell material breaks down. A 7 year old helmet should find the garbage can.
If you're wearing a helmet for protection, don't paint it or keep it longer then the expiration time. ^^^^^
If you're just wearing it to keep warm or keep your hair from blowing around, do as you wish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Paint it to recoat it?
That might be the best option, I have never had this happen to any helmet.
That is the material coating that makes it flat coming out, if you thoroughly clean it with a prep solvent it will come off and will not be sticky!

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide special Zephyr Blue. D&D exhaust.
18 Posts
My wife has a flat black Harley-Davidson helmet, purchase back in 2014, the flat black has become very sticky the whole outside of her helmet is sticky, she wears hers a lot, tried many things to clean it up with including alcohol, and gasoline.
In the process of trying to get the stickiness off her helmet, all of the flat black has come off and it's turn to a shiny helmet that is still sticky.
I carry my helmet with me it's actually in a bag and rides on the back of my bike oh, so if it rains or turns tonight I actually have a helmet to put on, this weekend while riding I actually had to put my helmet on, I noticed that it was sticky as well, but not near as bad as my wife's, has anybody else experienced this or is it just me, I'm afraid to try anything on my helmet for it might be like my wife's full the flat black off and turn it shiny. I love this helmet from the rip it does everything I wanted to do
so buying a new one is really not an option, I just want to know if somebody has any ideas to help remove the stickiness and not remove the flat black off the helmet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

TexasSmoket
Buy a new one. They are only good for 5 years.

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The wife has a new helmet comin, cause I am such a great husband, she knows nothing about the expiration..... just told her that her sticky helmet had to go!!!!!
And it was a little pricey, so my helmet all of the sudden doesn't seem so bad,

Yupp i will just wear it to keep my hair dry when it's raining..........and my head warm at night..........🤣🤣🤣
I'm not really a helmet guy anyway....😁😁
As Texas does not require you to wear a helmet, my wife on the other hand puts the helmet on every time she gets on the bike. Hence the new helmet comin for her.......

my helmet stays on the bike 100% of the time, so it always there if rains, I can atleast keep my hair dry.......🤣🤣
Put it on at night to keep my head warm, and the dragon flys from hitting my face... 🤣🤣

As I said, that helmet been everywhere, the helmet cover used to be black, but now it's gray.....( Here's your sign)
Wheel Vehicle Tire Plant Automotive lighting
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

I know... I know..... my helmet is really just an accessory that came with the bike.........🤣🤣
Ok Ok.......going to my corner....facing the wall.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife has a flat black Harley-Davidson helmet, purchase back in 2014, the flat black has become very sticky the whole outside of her helmet is sticky, she wears hers a lot, tried many things to clean it up with including alcohol, and gasoline.
In the process of trying to get the stickiness off her helmet, all of the flat black has come off and it's turn to a shiny helmet that is still sticky.
I carry my helmet with me it's actually in a bag and rides on the back of my bike oh, so if it rains or turns tonight I actually have a helmet to put on, this weekend while riding I actually had to put my helmet on, I noticed that it was sticky as well, but not near as bad as my wife's, has anybody else experienced this or is it just me, I'm afraid to try anything on my helmet for it might be like my wife's full the flat black off and turn it shiny. I love this helmet from the rip it does everything I wanted to do
so buying a new one is really not an option, I just want to know if somebody has any ideas to help remove the stickiness and not remove the flat black off the helmet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

TexasSmoket
Same thing happened. His and her helmets. Cleaned, light sand, mask, and paint. Life is good.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts