Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the measurement of the stock air shocks??
I hate it and am looking to replace it for 2 reasons. 1 -I am to short and am still tip toeing at full stops and 2- i need more comfort when riding 2up.

Any suggestions.

I am 5'8 175lbs

Thanks

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
This answer depends on which bike you have. Standard RG and RGU's have a 13" and RG custom's have 12".

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
I put a 2011 seat on which drops ya down 1". I hear the HD. Sundowner seat also drops you down about an inch. Also they have the seat made for shorter folks it has less padding and is narrower and I believe it will git ya down almost 2".
You can also change out the shocks to the Progressive 940s you'll drop an other Inch.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Whats the measurement of the stock air shocks??
I hate it and am looking to replace it for 2 reasons. 1 -I am to short and am still tip toeing at full stops and 2- i need more comfort when riding 2up.

Any suggestions.

I am 5'8 175lbs

Thanks
too short- you're looking for shorter shocks...

more comfort for 2 up- you're looking for longer shocks.

these two goals are counter to each other. which is more important? thats the one you'll need to focus on.

You can also change out the shocks to the Progressive 940s you'll drop an other Inch.
the progressives are supposed to be the same height as the shocks on the fltrx. some have even said that it actually raised them about a 1/2'' (though most did agree that the ride was definitely better than stock)

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
too short- you're looking for shorter shocks...

more comfort for 2 up- you're looking for longer shocks.

these two goals are counter to each other. which is more important? thats the one you'll need to focus on.

the progressives are supposed to be the same height as the shocks on the fltrx. some have even said that it actually raised them about a 1/2'' (though most did agree that the ride was definitely better than stock)
Good catch and good to know, I assumed folks were talking about their customs when replacing the stock shocks to Progressive, they made sound like it anyways.
Well that leaves only seats to lower the rider. I would not put a lowering kit on the RX shocks.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Well that leaves only seats to lower the rider. I would not put a lowering kit on the RX shocks.
or they can do what i did. i sent a pair of stock shocks to bitchin baggers and had them remanufactured to 11-1/4''. no, the ride is not cadillac smooth, but i am short of inseam, and never ride 2 up, so it was an acceptable compromise to me. i agree with you about not using a lowering kit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lowering

I just installed the Progressive monotubes in the front and the 12" HD shocks on the rear of my 2012 RGU. The ride and handling is awesome! It did away with the front end nose dive during hard braking. I have only ridden about twenty miles on the new set up, but it handles so much better. The ride is a little stiffer which I like! Not to mention it looks better. I am 5'6" and can just about flat foot it now. I may do the Mean City seat mod this winter to get my feet flat on the ground and knees bent a little.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Are the springs in the forks up front the same in the Ultra as the RX ? Are the spacers the same ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts