Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or are the stock air shocks just rough? I rode an '03 Ultra for 115K and had a smooth ride. I am being slammed and am having a rough ride on my new to me '09 RG CVO. I have adjusted the air pressure in the shocks from 8lbs up to 15 lbs. I ride solo most of the time and I weight 183 lbs.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
If im not mistaken i believe the owners manual says to run 20 to 30psi for solo riding depending on weight. Im 300lbs and keep it closer to 30 and have no problems even when my gfriends on the back. If you have a manual handy take a peek at it cuz it sounds like you may be bottoming out alil and will have to bump the pressure up alil. If you have the HD hand pump you can take it with you and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I just hated them ! always screwing around with psi .thats why yesterday installed my new progressives,tired of messing around no more hassle. Just my 5 cents sorry.:eek:

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
i run 40 psi all the time, solo or 2 up. me 235 lb, wife 170. no complaints.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have settled on 34 lbs ride solo 90% of the time and tip the scales at 210. A pot hole is still hard on the suspension but until I upgrade to something better 34 lbs works for me. Sending my seat to MCC next month hoping that will help the ride also.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I ran mine for 30,000 miles on some interesting terrain. I recently installed Ohlins 3-4 shocks. They're nowhere near broken in yet but holy $shit the ride is dramatically better. I'm kicking myself for wasting so many miles and hours on the stock air shocks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rode mine for about 1000 miles, settled on somewhere near the 45 mark and it still was not right. Talked to Howard at Motorcycle Metal and got me a set of Ohlins. Put 14,000 on the bike since and will never look back. I love the Ohlins!

http://motorcyclemetal.com/

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Its definately gonna be a trial by fire with the PSI adjustment.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I ran mine for about 4,000 miles. found the only way to get them to run not topped out all the time was with about 8 psi. I also changed out the oil in them before I replaced them and that helped out some.

The problem with them is they do not allow proper suspension set up, its almost impossible to adjust any sag into the shock, and with only 2" of travel if you allow sag you dont have much left, so any thing that requires the wheel to drop into (pot holes, off speed bumps, small ledges) the whole bike drops into instead of the wheel dropping into it and the bike riding over the bump. The 12" shocks only have about 2" of travel , the 13" have about 2 1/2 (and that is why a lot of riders comment on the Ultra being smoother that the Custom) , and the dampening is slow / poor( can be slightly improved by oil change).

The good thing about then is their load carrying ability (like all air systems, thats why they are used in trucks and trains), more load add more air.

If your a solo rider under 250lbs and using more than 15 -20 psi the ride your getting may be smoother to you because you are not bottoming out, but you also dont have much suspension action (travel) going.

IMO the stock HD touring bikes are very comfortable and handle well and most people will never want or really need a different shock until they have ridden the same model bike with a better shock on it and then realize the difference that is available in both comfort and handling

1 - 10 of 10 Posts