Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone happy with the stock bars? I am thinking of buying a 2013 and am stretching myself to get there financially. I am 5'8" with short arms. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'm 5' 7" with not short arms and while I wasn't unhappy with the stock bars, I just didn't like the look. So I went with 12" Outlawz from Wild1 Inc. But before I changed them I rode about 1000 miles with the stock bars and didn't have any complaints.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
It seems that just about everyone changes out the stock bars. The most economical bars I have found is the HD Hertiage Style bars for the FLTR/FLHR for $80. I have them along with many other members and I am very happy with them. Ride with the stock bars for a while they may be good for you.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I am 5'9" (on good day) and the stock bars hurt shoulders. Went to heritage bars and shoulders still hurt. Went to 14" outlaws and all good. Can't use stock cables with this size though. Was the pain enough to keep me off the bike...hell no. Take that for what it is worth my man.

Maybe a seat that brings you forward will help and it is cheaper? That said I have a Danny gray speed cradle which lowers and brings forward and still had issues with the two previous bars. You are gonna have to mix and match until you find a sweet spot but like I said the bike is still great and rideable stock.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'm 6'4" and I like the stock bars.they were fine for me with the stock seat,and even better with the tallboy seat.they can be rotated a bit in the clamps.I think it might have to do with the width of your shoulders and length of your arms.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I lowered the stock As far as I could in the clamps and they are now tolerable. Loosen them in the clamps, lower them down, turn the handle bars left and right to make sure they don't hit the tank. Tighten them when they feel comfortable. Lock to lock the bars are about 1/2 inch off the gas tank. Made a major difference from how the deliver them.

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
I liked the look of the stock bars if your keeping the bagger look to the bike but the stock bars hurt my back so I switched to the Heritage style bars also.

I guess it depends on your set up of the bike and how you sit when riding.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I am 6'1". And the stock bars work great for me. But I also think cruise control helps tremendously by being able to rest the arms and hands when needed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
5'10" and found myself going to Heritage Style Bars after 1000 miles due to shoulder blade pinch, the bars feel great however This weekend I'm installing Yaffe 10 inch Monkee bars, love the look too much. All personal preference but I think you will be reaching too much at your height, minimally try Heritage Style, no cable changes needed.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
5-10, I need apes on any bike I own. Had 14's on my Heritage, and my Road King. Going with 12.5s on my road glide, I hope I dont regret it. I wanted a bit easier maneuverability in tight spots.

The stock bars are recognized by Amnesty International as torture devices, you are aware?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I figured I would just start with the three that I was interested in. This was out of the 2012 Catalog and are all 1 inch bars.

.....................Tip to Tip...... Pull Back.... Rise...Base Width....Knurl Width
Stock .............32.00...........3.50..........10.50...11.50..........3.14
Heritage..........31.25...........5.00..........12.00...11.50..........3.14
Reduced Reach.32.00...........5.50..........11.25...13.00..........3.14

Updated 12-3-2012 This was very helpful for me. These are all 1 inch bars. If you have any information to add please do so and thank you.

.....................................................Tip to Tip...... Pull Back.... Rise......Base Width....Knurl Width
Stock ...............................................32.00...........3.50..........10.50.. ......11.50...............3.14
Heritage............................................31.25............5.00..........12.00.........11.50...............3.14
Reduced Reach...................................32.00...........5.50...........11.25.........13.00. .............3.14
Burly Apes.........................................38.75...........10.00..........16.00.........14.00...............3.14

Specs for Khrome Werks Bars

http://www.khromewerks.com/handle_bars_specs.htm
What about the HD ROAD GLIDE FAT MINI-APE

·
Registered
11 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong guys, but there is only a slight difference between the HD heritage style bar and the reduced reach, and that is 1" of pull back difference right?

I had a 06 RK with the reduced reach bars and loved them, they were just right. So now I have a 13 RGC and am thinking of going with them as they feel of the bars is just like my stock RK bars were.

Why heritage bars over reduced reach? Or is it just preference??

Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
There is a little differance this might be easier to read. If you have the HD Genuine Motor Parts & Accessories there is a chart right befor the bars that has all these numbers, but I cant find the information on the fatmini apes. The bars also will referance you to another chart if cables, brakelines, wiring kits if needed. Hope this helps

TIP2TIP PULLBACK RISE BAS WIDTH KNURL
Heritage.........................31.25............5.00..........12.00.........11. 50...............3.14
Reduced Reach................32.00..... ......5.50...........11.25.........13.00. .............3.14

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm 5' 10" with short arms. The stock bars were a bit of a reach for me. I went with a set of Wild 1's 515 and like the reach now as well as the width.

·
Registered
114 Posts
at 5 8' i wasn't comfortable with the angle of my wrists, at any position of the bars. i picked up a set of Kromewerks +2's off this site and once dialed in, have not been happier. no tingle, shoulders can take the distance, and i am able to maintain the look i was going for.

good luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts