Road Glide banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first HD and first fuel injected bike. Should I buy a KN filter replacement or just save up for an entire air box kit? Not thrilled with the idea of the open element style because of all the rain here in South Korea. Or am I just being paranoid? Will get to exhaust sometime this winter. Was not planing on getting a tuner till then and what's the way to go there? Seen little fuel guys all the way up to 500$ Dynojet tuners? Thanks!!

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
1,070 Posts
Ask these questions to 10 guys and you'll get 10 different answers. There are just too many different ways you can go.

I would recommend saving up for the full deal on the intake, not just a new element.

Personally, I use the HD Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather for the intake. It is an open element design, but I have over 44K miles on my bike with it and I have never had any trouble with it in the rain. I ride year round and have been in rain so hard you can barely see the road.

If you are only changing the Intake, no need for the tuner yet. That can wait until you get the exhaust done, but once you have both intake and exhaust done, you WILL need the tuner.

Again, there are just as many options there as there are for exhaust and intakes. I use the HD Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. I've been happy with it, but not that many people know how to tune with it so that limits your options a bit.

I had a Power Commander III on my last bike. It was a good tuner and I could download/install maps myself using software I could get from Power Commander for free. I could also plug my laptop in and tweak the maps if I wanted to. A lot of people use the PC tuners, so there are a lot of options if you want to get it dyno'd by a local shop.

I'm sure you will get many more responses to your question that will differ from mine.

Good luck with it, and Welcome to the Shark Tank!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Since you asked for opinion,here's mine: as said above.I think everyone has a different idea.I went with the S&S tuned induction air cleaner,cause I didn't want mine to be like everyone else's.I used a thunderheader,but if I had it to do over I think I'd go with the dragos header instead.but yeah,save and get the complete air cleaner,I doubt the better flowing element will do much inside the restrictive stock housing.

I went with the thundermax tuner to free myself from dynos.It's a complete ecu replacement.You load a program and ride and it tunes itself.

I think it's all part of the "harley tax" we all pay.I have a luggage rack and better hinges for the tour pak on the way now.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At 300 miles and looking for the sissy bar. Looks like I need the ghost locks the bar and the pad. That will come first. Shit is just too much from the local HD!! He wants 850 for that in just parts....not installed

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
The new bikes are suppose to have better air flow anyways and the air filter is washable from what I understand.
I would not go with a open air filter element because they are a pain in the ass IMO, I had the heavy breather and I always kept the rain sock on it. When I washed the bike I had to take a plastic bag and cover the filter so it wouldn't get too wet because if I didn't cover the element the bike ran like shit until the element dried out.
The open K&N air filter will not flow anymore air then the covered K&N air filter.
You may want to consider putting slip on mufflers first because you don't need to reflash the ECM or retune the bike.
Do the stage 1 later when you can do the air intake mod along with decatting the head pipes (you already have mufflers) and putting on the tuner and having the bike tuned at the same time.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
12,819 Posts
"Stock bike...now what!!??"

The best advice I can give you (which you're starting to figure out on your own) is to either have the credit limit doubled on your credit cards or get a second job.

HD stands for "Hunnert Dollars" as there's nothing they sell that costs less than that!

·
Registered
2019 RGS 114 22x and lots of other expensive stuff
392 Posts
I have open filters on 2 bikes have ridden in rain so intense one time only going 20 ran into standing water I didn't see was more like a motor boat than a bike no problem.
I also fly and air filters on aircraft are ram type flying thru storms only on a few occasions did engine even show a slight sign of losing power for a few seconds.
Basically if its raining hard enough that you can't breath then your engine will have same problem. Thats a pretty hard rain. When bike is not running water just runs out bottom
So in my opinion buy the filter you like if its raining that hard you probably won't be riding

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. Thanks for all the input. Just broke 2000 miles in a little less than 2 months. I will end up with the fuel pac3. Gonna grab some cfr knock offs or what ever is handy. I've ripped the bars up. And got the back rest on. Momma loves that part. Will soon have an ultra seat in the mail!! And scored some off set pegs on here. Next thinkin about a few more inches of windshield...wind noise and radio... But that is not a deal breaker

·
Registered
641 Posts
I went with the Fuel Moto intake because it uses the stock cover. I don't choose to ride in the rain, but have been in storms so severe several times that I could barely see. I like having the covered filter. I also went with their header, their mufflers, and power vision.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
So this is my first HD and first fuel injected bike. Should I buy a KN filter replacement or just save up for an entire air box kit? Not thrilled with the idea of the open element style because of all the rain here in South Korea. Or am I just being paranoid? Will get to exhaust sometime this winter. Was not planing on getting a tuner till then and what's the way to go there? Seen little fuel guys all the way up to 500$ Dynojet tuners? Thanks!!
Per my dyno guy, the new Rushmore washable stock filters breath more than enough for the 103 with pipes and a cam. He has dyno'd with the big sucker and then compared to the stock filter and no gain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.