Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day after a week of not riding, I noticed my stock head unit doesn't show text anymore. It lights up and the music still plays, but no text. Is this common? Is it covered under extended warranty?

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I had 2 units replaced under warranty for the same thing before I went to an aftermarket head unit. I don't know how common it is, but if regular warranty takes care of it, I imagine the extended warranty should also.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Administrator
10,373 Posts
it is very common .. mine does it on occasion and sometimes you can push the screen with your finger and it will come back on .. seems somewhere here a good while back someone said you could spread a couple of the pins in the connection at the rear of the radio and it would fix it ..
the dealer will take your head unit and exchange it for a refurb'd one , if like most warranty related things , you'll have to take it to them for removal and exchange

I don't have my ESP paper in front of mew , but it will probly cost you $50 ( the deductible )

JtB

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
50 bucks, they'll likely want to keep your bike could be weeks, thats BS, show and tell em, arrange it thru so covered ESP, DIY upgrade speaks, unless you can get the dealer to find other things wrong to work on, still 50 bucks

·
Registered
875 Posts
had mine replaced for same issue under regular warranty. It was refurbed unit. It now sits in a box on the shelf. I replaced it with a Sony. I'd spend the $50 towards a replacement HU not getting the HK swapped out.

As for the dealership and weeks..They told me same thing, be a week, week and a half. I asked why..Their response was they had to pull the HU and ship to HK and wait for them to test and determine problem, then ship repaired unit back. I'm like OK, just pull the HU and give me the bike back. Their response is warranty only covers one time for fairing off and back on, they would have to charge me labor if they had to pull fairing twice..Sent MOCO an unfavorable experience note calling it BS...Week later dealer GM calls and says whats wrong and bring it in we'll fix it. Told her I'm busy right now, she sent a truck out to pick it up. They pulled HU to get serial number and then put it back together and said come pick it up, we'll call you when your replacement comes in, week later they replaced the HU..no charge..also detailed bike while they had it..

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the fix

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/electrical-wiring-lighting/196624-harmon-kardon-blank-display-repair.html

Takes about an hour from start to finish. I did mine about 30,000 miles ago. Been fine ever since.
Didn't work.

I've decided that I'm going to bring the bike in to the dealership, and then once I get a new/refurbished one, sell it and get an aftermarket radio.

I'm looking for mainly bluetooth, USB & AUX plug-ins. I don't need any CD's/SAT Radio/etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts