Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine went out this weekend after riding about 10 miles on a rough gravel road. Happened on my streetglide.

This is my first option because it doesn't cost anything but time.
  1. Pull the radio.
  2. Pull the face and open the pins out a little.
  3. Replace the face and plug it in and hopefully it will work.
  4. Reinstall and button it up.

Option 2 is to pickup a new head unit (thinking Alpine HD CDE-149BT) and VTwin audio install kit with handlebar control and splash guard.

Happened at about 20K on the SG and now about 20K on the RG out of warranty of course. The fix was still going strong on the SG until I traded it at 75K. Not pressed for time since it works fine just no display.

Would love to hear any other suggestions on head units. I am running biketronics BT2180 amp w/ 7.1 in the fairing and 6.5 in the lowers. I'm an android guy and everything I have read on the alpine is apple. Is there another HU that you can see in the sunlight that will work better with android or USB drives?

· Registered
10,571 Posts
Mine went out this weekend after riding about 10 miles on a rough gravel road. Happened on my streetglide.

This is my first option because it doesn't cost anything but time.
  1. Pull the radio.
  2. Pull the face and open the pins out a little.
  3. Replace the face and plug it in and hopefully it will work.
  4. Reinstall and button it up.

Option 2 is to pickup a new head unit (thinking Alpine HD CDE-149BT) and VTwin audio install kit with handlebar control and splash guard.

Happened at about 20K on the SG and now about 20K on the RG out of warranty of course. The fix was still going strong on the SG until I traded it at 75K. Not pressed for time since it works fine just no display.

Would love to hear any other suggestions on head units. I am running biketronics BT2180 amp w/ 7.1 in the fairing and 6.5 in the lowers. I'm an android guy and everything I have read on the alpine is apple. Is there another HU that you can see in the sunlight that will work better with android or USB drives?
The pin trick should work, it has on most that I've read about. I switched out to the Alpine 149bt along with the V twin install kit & splash cover, and could not be happier .

· Registered
1,477 Posts
interesting timing, mine started on the fritz a week or so ago, I start the bike and it's fine for a little while then it goes blank, it's covered under warranty but it's still 50 bucks (esp) and the service writer told me if they have the bike and it's on when the start it they can't warranty it, I guess I'm going to try the pin trick soon

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
134 Posts
Mine died too..By the time I send it to Iron cross, figured $350 for fix..I am getting Kenwood installed with Handle bar control wiring for little less than $400...

· Registered
818 Posts
Think i paid $275 for the fix and whatever software upgrades were due.
didnt have any extra MP3 or usb ports added. Almost went with a Sony marine unit, but I kinda wanted to keep things OEM.

· Registered
277 Posts
I've had two HK go bad. Tried the pin trick with no luck. both went completely dark. Decided to go with Aquatic AV unit. Should be here late next week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.