Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very close to purchasing a 2015 RGS (currently have an 07 road king), but one thing concerns me. I ride 2 up much of the time. I weigh 230 and the wife weighs about 130. The specs indicate that travel on the rear shock is only 2.1 inches. I'm very concerned that the stock will either bottom out or take the bumps hard depending on the setting. I know that the probable answer is to go aftermarket, but I'm already upgrading the windshield and the seat and that's about all I want to spend at this time. My question is, does the stock shock handle the weight and bumps, or will I absolutely have to upgrade? Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm very close to purchasing a 2015 RGS (currently have an 07 road king), but one thing concerns me. I ride 2 up much of the time. I weigh 230 and the wife weighs about 130. The specs indicate that travel on the rear shock is only 2.1 inches. I'm very concerned that the stock will either bottom out or take the bumps hard depending on the setting. I know that the probable answer is to go aftermarket, but I'm already upgrading the windshield and the seat and that's about all I want to spend at this time. My question is, does the stock shock handle the weight and bumps, or will I absolutely have to upgrade? Thanks.
I'm about 280 and the wife is about 130 and my 2015 RGS does just fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a 2015 RGS today, picking her up Saturday. I had read unbiased reviews and watched (youtube) test ride reviews, Motor trend, Cycle World etc. I plan on two up and bagged up once I gear up. Had same concerns after doing all the specs home work on that model. My salesman claimed the rear shocks were premium (beefer) than the standard RG. Also stated the air adjustment should counter bottoming out. Claims the MOCO has had no complaints.

That being said 2.1 travel in a bagger shock seems short in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The 2015 RGS comes with upgraded shocks compared to previous air shocks. They come with a preload chart you can set up for your size and riding conditions. I have them on my ultra. I'm 220, wife is 5'7" 140. No bottoming on my ultra with a preload of 7 clicks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts