Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys , whats the big benefit to monotubes up front as opppse to the stock forks , if i dont want to lower the bike ? i have a 13 RG custom

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Ok guys , whats the big benefit to monotubes up front as opppse to the stock forks , if i dont want to lower the bike ? i have a 13 RG custom

Hit your front brake and watch the front end dive. Monotubes easily cut the dive in half. The front wheel will also have better contact with the road, because the Monotubes react faster to bumps.

Combine the Monotubes with better shocks in the rear, and you will have a whole new ride. Ohlins, are a really good choice for the rear. My Anti-lock brakes don't kick in for no reason, like they used to.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Improved ride,almost eliminates front end dive,it'll never have a fork seal leak,Improved handling,Improved ride,no downside.

Just my experience with my RGU.Been one of the best upgrades I ever did.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
Been on monotubes for a little over 3 years now..... all of the above, and good price to accomplish doing what they do.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Handling is much better with mono tubes. I put the stock height on my RG. I'll never go back to a stock setup on the front.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Same as all above. Major improvement in front end dive,better contact with road makes for better handling in the curves. Did not regret it for a minute on my last bike, that is why my new one is getting it this winter also.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
The job of any suspension to to keep wheels in contact with the road in all kinds of situations. Monotubes are an upgrade to the stock springs in their oil bath. Just as a good, gas-charged shock with pre-load adjustability will be an improvement over the OEM air ride.

To me the stock suspension on a touring Harley is built with comfort being the primary objective. One can move performance to the top, while still maintaining comfort, with upgraded components.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
A lot of people complain about the stock suspensions on Harley touring bikes. Bottom line is.... not all riders are built the same. The MoCo did it's best to do a one size fits all. But ........

As an example,a guy who weighs easily 300, and his girlfriend is probably 250, compared to a guy who weighs 165 and rides solo. In the first case.... there's not enough air in the world to prevent bottoming with the stock shocks. In the second case the stock shocks are going to feel harsh.

People are counting on the suspension to cater to both extremes. Not going to happen. It's one of the things you have to do to make the bike fit you, and your riding style.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
The main reason I did it was to loose the front end dive. I hear people play with fluid weight , but I don't think a fluid weight change would compare to the mono tubes.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
A lot of people complain about the stock suspensions on Harley touring bikes. Bottom line is.... not all riders are built the same. The MoCo did it's best to do a one size fits all. But ........

As an example,a guy who weighs easily 300, and his girlfriend is probably 250, compared to a guy who weighs 165 and rides solo. In the first case.... there's not enough air in the world to prevent bottoming with the stock shocks. In the second case the stock shocks are going to feel harsh.

People are counting on the suspension to cater to both extremes. Not going to happen. It's one of the things you have to do to make the bike fit you, and your riding style.
That's all true... and true of any stock scoot, not just a Harley.

The reasons to upgrade components is to tailor the suspension (and, the ride) to the individual.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
From what i understand about the stock front suspension is that one fork does the dampening and the other fork controls the rebound. Basically both forks together act as one shock where as each mono tube controls both dampening and rebound giving you a more solid feel.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hmmm, interesting thread.....are the monotubes people are installing on RG's off another model HD? How pricey is this conversion....

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Hmmm, interesting thread.....are the monotubes people are installing on RG's off another model HD? How pricey is this conversion....
No, they're made by Progressive Suspension for the exact bike you order it for . The kits are around $250 - $ 300

·
Registered
126 Posts
I installed the Progressive monotube kit shortly after purchasing my '13 RG CVO Anniversary about a year ago. The best bang for the buck ($225) I have spent so far. What a difference. I'm 6'-3"; 215 lbs and my GF is 5'-0" 105 lbs. Whether I ride solo or two-up the monotube makes for a much better ride. I ride pretty hard when solo and with the monotube there is no more dive when I hit the front brake and I also feel like I'm riding on rails when pushing hard through the twisties. I still have the CVO rear suspension which has one side adjustment for the spring load and the other shock does the dampening. The monotube up front made the whole ride better front and back although I am researching the best replacement for the CVO rear shocks now. I've already done a ton of engine work and with 124 foot/lbs of torque, I'm happy just to stay on the scooter when I hit the throttle. I had Thrasher Seats insert a support brace inside the back of my seat so when I ride solo without the passenger pillion I don't slide off the back.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I messed with the air pressure on the stock 12" rear shocks from 27# on down to 9# thinking I could soften the ride. Then read here that someone had good results with more pressure, so up to 32# and best ride so far but... still not what I feel it could or should be. Now for the questions.

Maybe mono tubes is the next step, but how does this help the rear ride quality as some have said?

Or should I start with replacing the rear shocks first? Possibly CVO stockers or something like Progressive 444's. I know to by the best one you can afford, but just can't go way high end.

Does lowering the front with mono tubes have any impact on ride quality other than lowering the center of gravity?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

·
Registered
296 Posts
IMHO The FIRST thing anyone riding a Harley Davidson should do is upgrade the suspension front and rear to aftermarket parts. The MoCo does the least it can, using suspension components developed (and not upgraded) in 1948!

There are more options for the forks than just the Progressive Mono Tubes. Go to the Suspension section of this forum. You can read for DAYS!

Personally, I like the Race Tech Gold Top Emulators for my forks, and a good coil-over adjustible rear shock.

Have fun, and ride safe.

Scoop

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yeap MoCo leave lots of outdated items on our loving machines. The suspension should be updated when new frame came on 09, say they did. Oil and spring with valve system long gone. The air shocks ok if riding solo and no load.
Front best setup Monotubes, well HD have similar ones for mo money. Never hear any one mention the HD's though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts