Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mileage is super low on this 2019. Haven't hit 7000 miles yet, and bought it with 1900 on it already. RWD 13" shocks on the rear, front stock suspension. The is the first bike that has had stock tires on it I have owned since my 2013 Glide I bought lightly used in 2013. I've run many varying brands of tires on my bikes (I own 6 right now) and have come to the conclusion that the stock tires are super hard and contribute to the rough feeling of the front end currently.

Front end is stock. Yes 100% stock. I aired up both tires (rear did not need any, front needed 12 lbs) yesterday before I headed out on my ride with the new pipe, a/c etc. I've decided that these stock tires are so hard (for a good reason) taht they really make the bike feel different than if I had a different tire on them.
My 2013 FLTRX ran Mich Com II's for the vast majority of it's 106000 miles, with a Metzeler here or there if what i wnated was not on the shelf. I'm aware the new Com III's have issues although I have a set on my Dyna (very low mileage) and have not had an issue.

These stock tires (manufactured to last with the extreme weight of our motorcycles) are hard as a fucking rock. I mean literally, this is the hardest tire out there. The only comparison I have is the Metzeler ME888 I ran on the rear of my 2013 until it picked up a nail (thank God it did).

I'm planning on American Elite's when I wear these stock tires out. I've found that with most tires I can maybe manage 12K miles, but I replace front and rear at the same time as when I do not I end up getting a new front a few days later as with a full tread rear I notice that the front is low enough on tread that it feels quite squirrely compared to the new rear. Life is short, replace both at the same time.

So, I need to wear out these stock tires as I am over the lack of feeling and grip they provide. Hopefully The AE have a different curve to them (these are way too flat for my taste) and hopefully they might feel a bit stickier. The tires that have always felt the best to me are the Avon Cobra's, however their pathetic mileage (5000 on a rear) made them cost prohibitive on a bagger. I run the Cobras on one of my FXR's, the other has MCII on it still as it has a blown motor hand has been sitting in the corner for a few years.

Anyway, I find my tire information on forums and am curious as to what you guys have been running and what you like? Stock is to only be used in case of emergency for me. I have a tire machine in my shop (that I have not used yet) so maybe I'll get to doing my own tires as was thought when I bought it. For some reason, up until now I have still taken my bike to somewhere to get tires done...

The cost of doing tires without having to pay the labor is much more reasonable although still outrageous. I can put 4 tires of any variety I choose on my truck for close to the same cost of buying stock and having them mounted at a Harley dealer.

Oh, almost forgot...Avon Cobra chrome are supposedly longer lasting, but I don't believe it. My last place of work was a Harley wheel manufacturer and we had a deal with Avon to sell their tires at all the rallys. They had a "warranty." Yes that is in quotes. To get warranty you have to be within a certain tread depth, take tire off wheel, send tire to manufacturer (pricey to ship a tire) and wait for their determination which quite often would no warranty. So I don't go for all that BS which is just fancy marketing, as is the "chrome" version of the tire. They are just trying to compete within a super competitive over priced tire market for Harley's.

So what is your tire choice (I'll never get Harley's wheel and tire coverage) and why? This is actually the forst bike I've had in a very long time that has stock wheels and I have no plans son changing. Myabe I should get wheel and tire. That coverage got fucked when everyone I knew would put a screw in their tires when they got low on tread and get new ones for free. Harley changed it so the tread depth had to be deeper, and everyone who bought it got screwed, unless they got a new tire with half life tread.

And then, it's still stock tires on teh stock wheels so if you swapped rims, you are screwed. Sure it saved some money for a lot of people, but I'll jsut pay for the tires I want and deal with it.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
On the specials with the low profile tires, it is like riding on rails. I love the handling, but yes, the suspension needs to be able to handle the low sidewall flex tires.

On my 2010 Vulcan Voyager, Kawasaki recommended 28 pounds on the front tire to compensate for their cheap front suspension. Tire were wearing out prematurely and cupping as a result. I upgraded the front suspension and upped the PSI and got good ride and wear out of the OEM replacement tires.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Normally I say American Elite's hands down. Best over all tire. And lot of miles prove it. With the 2020 and the low profiles it may be a different story. I will find out.. I need to find a 16 wheel that looks right for the rear so I can run the car tire with sidecar.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to figure in the 18" rear and the super low prifile 130-6019 on the front. When I was selling wheels and tires(did that for many years) we found that 18" rears on baggers handled best with the stock D408 tire as it had the stiffest sidewall at the time. My 2013 has a 16" rear so I never had an issue or thought about that. Hmmmm. This complicates matter further.

Back then, the only 130/60-19 front tire was the factory tire as it had just come out and the after market tire manufacturers had to catch up. Nowadays that is all available. Hmmm.

On my 2013 I run a 21" front, and run 40 front and 42 rear which served me fairly well. It seems these varying sizes throw another wrench into the mix. What I'm really wondering is if the the Dunlop AE are as HARD and UNSTICKY as the factory tires. It seems like the stock tires are made of wood with their lack of stickiness on my special.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Put MC II on after the stockers were done. Just put another new set of MC II on her. About 25k mileage and good characteristics. This is on an FLTRU and most rides are 2 up and loaded.

Reactions: eddienelson

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We'll see what happens when I wear these stockers out. I'm figuring 4000-600 miles to go but I might change earlier as I hate these tires.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Oh, almost forgot...Avon Cobra chrome are supposedly longer lasting, but I don't believe it. My last place of work was a Harley wheel manufacturer and we had a deal with Avon to sell their tires at all the rallys. They had a "warranty." Yes that is in quotes. To get warranty you have to be within a certain tread depth, take tire off wheel, send tire to manufacturer (pricey to ship a tire) and wait for their determination which quite often would no warranty. So I don't go for all that BS which is just fancy marketing, as is the "chrome" version of the tire. They are just trying to compete within a super competitive over priced tire market for Harley's.
i ran cobra chromes on my cvo. unfortunately, i cannot talk about the longevity aspect of them as i had less than 5,000 miles on them when the bike got totaled. they still had a lot of tread left though....

i loved the way they rode. just a very positive feel. and i also have a tire machine so if the mileage is not the best, at least it's only my labor that i'm out and not my wallet.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i ran cobra chromes on my cvo. unfortunately, i cannot talk about the longevity aspect of them as i had less than 5,000 miles on them when the bike got totaled. they still had a lot of tread left though....

i loved the way they rode. just a very positive feel. and i also have a tire machine so if the mileage is not the best, at least it's only my labor that i'm out and not my wallet.
It would be nice to see what the mileage is on these. IF I can get 10K out of a set of tires on a bagger I'm happy. How some guys get 20K is a mystery to me, regardless of what tire it is. Anyway, thanks for the info. I love the feel of Avon's, I have cobras on my 111 FXR. The bike sticks like glue.

·
Registered
444 Posts
20,000 miles on American Elites on my 2019. I had the stock Dunlops replaced pre-delivery, I had read too many poor stories about them.

Still plenty of life left on mine. I would say 90% of that mileage has been at 60mph-75mph on highways/open roads.

I do have a 17in front and 16in rear wheel combo. I hate big 'n' skinny front wheels on H-D touring bikes.

I will buy American Elites again when these wear out. But I expect to get another 5000 miles out of them, at least. Good in the rain too. Quite happy.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
It would be nice to see what the mileage is on these. IF I can get 10K out of a set of tires on a bagger I'm happy. How some guys get 20K is a mystery to me, regardless of what tire it is. Anyway, thanks for the info. I love the feel of Avon's, I have cobras on my 111 FXR. The bike sticks like glue.
i've been riding baggers since 2010, which coincidentally, is the start of the dual compound stock dunlops. since then, i've run stock, american elites, and cobra chromes. other than the early demise of the bike with the avons, i've always gotten at least 20k out of the tires. i will switch them both out at the same time, usually there is a lot of tread left on the front, but i like the feel of new shoes.... i don't ride like grandpa, but i'm not a hooligan either.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@skratch I've not had that experience. Not sure why. But I don't expect that. I expect 10K which is fair in my book depending on how much I am riding. It used to be about 2 or 3 sets a year but the pace has slowed down this last two years.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Another one asking for opinions. Here’s mine.

Run Metzlers and Öhlins. Other than that I’ve got nothing. 😂

Joking aside, if you want the best....

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,428 Posts
I've run Cobra Chromes last two years, I always got 10k miles out of the rears. I couldn't fins any north of the border here at the end of the season, so I mounted the Bridgestone H50's to try out, based on feedback here.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I think avon had some mfg issue with the rear tire, for a bit couldn't find any. now revzilla has them in stock again. spring or early summer, i'll probably be changing my stock tires out, will be around 15k on them. still a lot of tread, but I like the feel of new tires....

what do you think of the h50's vs the chromes?

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,428 Posts
I think avon had some mfg issue with the rear tire, for a bit couldn't find any. now revzilla has them in stock again. spring or early summer, i'll probably be changing my stock tires out, will be around 15k on them. still a lot of tread, but I like the feel of new tires....

what do you think of the h50's vs the chromes?
I haven't had a chance to even mount them yet, the bike is on the hoist for winter and the transmission is in pieces on my bench. I'll update on the Bridgestone thread once I get some miles on them, I usually need to replace tires half way through the season.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
well, you'd better hurry up. our winter should be over here pretty shortly, so won't be too much longer i'll be looking to make that change ;)

Reactions: Zedbra
1 - 17 of 17 Posts