Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting an air ride setup for the rear of my 15 RGS. My question is, I can get a decent ride out of my stock shocks if I take the time to take off the saddle bag and adjust the knob between 1 up and 2 up. Most my riding is done one up but do get out a good bit with the wife so I adjusted the stock shocks for two up and usually forget to readjust just for me or don't want to take the time. So the air setup I was looking at is the Dirty Air "budget" kit off ebay for about $300. I am thinking that if the air ride will be as good or better than stock it would be a no brainer since the ride would be just as good and I would not have to remove the saddle bag every time I wanted/needed to adjust the ride. Inputs? Thanks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I am thinking about getting an air ride setup for the rear of my 15 RGS. My question is, I can get a decent ride out of my stock shocks if I take the time to take off the saddle bag and adjust the knob between 1 up and 2 up. Most my riding is done one up but do get out a good bit with the wife so I adjusted the stock shocks for two up and usually forget to readjust just for me or don't want to take the time. So the air setup I was looking at is the Dirty Air "budget" kit off ebay for about $300. I am thinking that if the air ride will be as good or better than stock it would be a no brainer since the ride would be just as good and I would not have to remove the saddle bag every time I wanted/needed to adjust the ride. Inputs? Thanks.
A decent air ride system with adjustable rebound control will be better then stock. Nothing will beat a shock built for you though. If you are trying to go cheap then i would sugest priceing out the DIY monroe setup that others have done on the forum.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I have the DIY Monroe (or Gabriel) air shock setup. I can say that it feels better than the stock shocks which did nothing for my wife or I. I weigh 185, she 100 and that stock shock was painful. We didn't put enough weight down to make soft. fast forward to the DIY monroe setup, which if I'm not mistaken the Dirty Air uses the same parts. @ $300 it's not a bad deal and takes the homework of getting all the right parts ordered the first time.

on ride quality - I notice when riding solo it feels a little more harsh. I keep it inflated to about 80-85 solo. When riding two up I inflate to about 105 psi and feels way more cushioned, at least it gives a little more. Still a better ride than stock and you get the cool factor when you want to dump it at the bike nites and etc.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the DIY Monroe (or Gabriel) air shock setup. I can say that it feels better than the stock shocks which did nothing for my wife or I. I weigh 185, she 100 and that stock shock was painful. We didn't put enough weight down to make soft. fast forward to the DIY monroe setup, which if I'm not mistaken the Dirty Air uses the same parts. @ $300 it's not a bad deal and takes the homework of getting all the right parts ordered the first time.

on ride quality - I notice when riding solo it feels a little more harsh. I keep it inflated to about 80-85 solo. When riding two up I inflate to about 105 psi and feels way more cushioned, at least it gives a little more. Still a better ride than stock and you get the cool factor when you want to dump it at the bike nites and etc.
Thanks Paul. Exactly what I was looking for. Definitely think that the price is good for the Dirty Air without the guess work although the Monroe setup is laid out pretty good on the forum. Think I will try the Dirty Air in the near future. Don't think I can go wrong. And get the bonus cool factor which I think does look bad ass when the rear is slammed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FrankieB, I did look into the Monroe mod, but think the Dirty Air set up is right about the same price as piecing out the Monroe mod but get everything in one kit. Just seems a simpler process to me with the same results.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Good deal. When I put my kit on I don't think these Dirty Air kits were around. In retrospect, for the price if these were, I would just do the same and buy the kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.