Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best way to fix? Was advised to use touch up paint, then hit with 0000 steel wool then buff out. Otherwise its 438$ from body shop to remove and have repainted. I have the picture uploaded to my photobucket account but since I don't have 5 posts, I cant use it. Photos available upon request

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I'm no paint guy. But just keep responding to this thread. You'll get your 5 posts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you can't live with it the best thing to do is have a professional take care of it. Touch up paint looks like ass. Paint atomizes through a spray gun which it won't by dabbing on paint and the color will never look right. Then it needs to be cleared. Which again needs to be sprayed through a gun. I don't know who told you to use steel wool but they're a moron....dont. Best advice if they're chips that are just going to happen again because it's a bike that you ride, live with them. If it's significant damage let a shop deal with it

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Go post in new member welcome section...you'll have your 5.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Live with it, it let's others know it's not a trailer queen.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you can't live with it the best thing to do is have a professional take care of it. Touch up paint looks like ass...... If it's significant damage let a shop deal with it
I agree with most touch up paint but I have had good luck with the vivid black on my 13 FLTRX. The color matches perfectly - the big problem I have is making sure to add just a little paint at a time. Fill the chipped section slowly or you will end up with a wad of paint noticeably higher than the original. I took the fender off, adjusted so the chip was on top, and added paint slowly so that I didn't end up raising much over the original paint.

The vivid black is really soft and a little polishing (no compounding needed) and I could hardly tell and I knew it was there. No one else could ever see. I now have a 16 special also in vivid black. When the time comes (and it will), I will try my luck again.

Also I agree that if it is significant damage, let the shop handle. I am only talking about small rock chips

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Leave it alone, you're just going to get more stone chips. In most cases touch up paint doesn't do a factory type of repair. If you ride the bike expect to get more paint damage from road debris so wait until there is a lot of damage then repaint. Or just do like me and say the hell with it and ride on. :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
$438 to repaint it? I replaced the front fender on my 2015 (Vivid black with pinstriping) for $500 brand new including shipping after a deer strike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts