Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Which do you prefer Mushroom or Rope

• Mushroom Plug

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Rope Plug

Votes: 8 57.1%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2019 RGS/ FM 132 - Super Shox, 2013 RGU/ FM 110 - Super Shox: Both/ Pro-Action (fork kit)
199 Posts
Used the Stop and Go on a friends bike. At the beginning of a trip we stopped to meet up with some others joining us. We were looking over our bikes and I noticed a nail in his rear tire. Remainder of the riders showed up and low and behold someone had the Stop and Go. First time this kit was used by anyone in our pack so it was a learning curve but once we read the instruction a few times (I know, read them first) the tire was fixed he aired up and off we go. I followed up with him on our next ride and he said he never lost any air and will leave it alone until the tire wears out. And he did, 12k additional miles since the fix and he never had any problems.

I bought a kit and now carry it everywhere I go. I'm always looking for someone with a flat on the side of the road just to use it. ;)

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Used the Stop and Go on a friends bike. At the beginning of a trip we stopped to meet up with some others joining us. We were looking over our bikes and I noticed a nail in his rear tire. Remainder of the riders showed up and low and behold someone had the Stop and Go. First time this kit was used by anyone in our pack so it was a learning curve but once we read the instruction a few times (I know, read them first) the tire was fixed he aired up and off we go. I followed up with him on our next ride and he said he never lost any air and will leave it alone until the tire wears out. And he did, 12k additional miles since the fix and he never had any problems.

I bought a kit and now carry it everywhere I go. I'm always looking for someone with a flat on the side of the road just to use it. ;)
What kit did you use mushroom or rope

· Registered
2021 Road Glide
58 Posts
Generic Rope plugs for me.

I have a similar mushroom style tool by DynaPlug which I think is a good solution if you pick up a nail.

The advantage for the rope plug is that you can also field repair a wider cut in a tire enough to get to a shop or home to deal with it.

On a smaller bike, I would be tempted to continue to run a mushroom style plug. Given the weight and highway speeds that my RG gets used for, I would not run a plugged tire for an extended amount of time.

· Registered
2019 RGS/ FM 132 - Super Shox, 2013 RGU/ FM 110 - Super Shox: Both/ Pro-Action (fork kit)
199 Posts

I bought a kit and now carry it everywhere I go. I'm always looking for someone with a flat on the side of the road just to use it.
What kit did you use mushroom or rope
I used the mushroom style.
Mushroom kit with pump.

Reactions: louisiana rgl

· Registered
3,127 Posts
I use Ride On personally. I had a Stop in Go mushroom kit. Loaned it out and never got it back.

· Registered
3,127 Posts
I need to get a compressor for "just in case".

Reactions: Mike U

· Registered
730 Posts
Going to order the stop and go tubeless tire repair kit.

One big difference is the mushroom stye does not come with a "T" handle tool they are screw driver style

The issue of price.

What would you knowledgeable folks go for.

Stop and go Tubeless Tire Repair kit
I have this kit and used it: Stop & Go 1075 Tubeless Tire Plugger Repair Kit for Punctures & Flats (stopngo.com) Plus: Stop & Go RCP Compact Mini-Air Compressor w/ 12V Car Adapter Built in (stopngo.com)
I had a puncture from a 2" nail. I can say the plug held from April 2021 to Aug 2022 until I needed new tires. I rode with it in all conditions canyons, freeways, city, including a couple of 120 mph wild hair moments (just because). The mushroom was a little deformed from my install, but never leaked a bit. The way the plug is streached out when inserting assures a no leak fix, if done correctly.
Glasses Automotive tire Wood Gesture Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wood Water Grey Road surface

Automotive tire Wood Water Tread Grey

· Registered
3,796 Posts
If you have to plug it, then a rope plug 24-7-365

But don't buy a knockoff kit. Spend the money and get yourself a SafteySeal kit. Those knock off ropes will leak right through the center of the rope.

True story. A while back I had a construction screw go through my tire head first. So I had a big hole. I cleaned it with acetone and put a SafteySeal plug in it. And then because the size of the hole worried me, I put the heat gun on it to help it vulcanize. Rode it the rest of that season. Then put a new tire on that winter and since the punctured tire only had about 5-6K miles on it, I went to boot it. Was going to use a boot with a puncture filler made to the boot, so I needed to pull the rope plug. And the rope plug was having none of it. The rope broke before the repair pulled out of the tire. Twice.

· Registered
730 Posts
I've always used the rope style.

I think FortNine did a comparison of various types and the good old Rope did better than all of them.
Everything on YouTube is absolute, yes? :D Look at the hole size at about 5:10 in his video for the "mushroom plug, the guy must have used a 3/8 inch drill bit through the tire, then compare the "permanent patch" hole size at 4:54...WTH? I call bullshit on this. Some if not most of these youtubers get "endorsements". Have a look at some real world experience from members here in post #s 7&11. The rope plug kits are also good, you say tomahto and I say tomayto. Cheers

· Registered
730 Posts
Rope plug %100, those mushroom plugs according to Fort nine are sub standard.
Everything on YouTube is absolute, yes? :D Look at the hole size at about 5:10 in his video for the "mushroom plug, the guy must have used a 3/8 inch drill bit through the tire, then compare the "permanent patch" hole size at 4:54...WTH? I call bullshit on this. Some if not most of these youtubers get "endorsements". Have a look at some real world experience from members here in post #s 7&11. The rope plug kits are also good, you say tomahto and I say tomayto. Cheers

· The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
13,489 Posts

· Registered
730 Posts
This is the Safety Seal Kit that I will be picking up soon.
When working as an Auto Technician Safety Seal was all that we would use and they always held up well.
Mike U.
Same here when I worked at a Good Year service center maybe 1970?

· Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,343 Posts
Back in the day working construction we would park under ground free out door. Go out to my truck and there is a girl with a commercial caulk gun squeezing caulk into her truck tire.She was adorable so I wandered over.Asked if I could help.She snarled so I asked what she was using.Clear window glazing sealer.I’ m a glazer and I always get flats and cannot afford to keep changing tires.She went on to say all four had multiple flats, pumps them with sealer goes back to work until the caulk sets adds air and never had a failure.
We we’re driving to work thru the Hood in Chicago early morning and rain the tire pressure alert comes on.I pull off to a gas station.The car came with no spare just a compressor with a screw on bottle of GM flat repair. It was not a screw it was a bolt as mentioned above.inflated the tire with this gunk and it held perfectly and we were out of there 10 hours later still good drove to the dealer got a new tire and I ordered a second can of goo.
My question is could we use similar products like this on our bike tires ? No Patching just fill and go

· Premium Member
6,364 Posts
i have the stop 'n' go as well. i've used it more on my riding lawn mower than i have on my (or any) bike.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts