Road Glide banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my storage box covers after getting my inner fairing back from painting.
I noticed the Torx head screws seemed a little short when tighted they did not protrude out of the Nylock nuts. Rule of thumb is that you should see at least two threads on the screw sticking out of the Nylock nuts when tight. I attribute this to my aircraft maintenance training 100 years or so ago. I also noticed that the fit was too close to the fairing along the verticle edges and thought that spacing the mount out with thin washers would keep this cover from scratching the fairing in these areas. I bought longer allen head screws at ACE and proceeded to change them out.
I then discovered that the best fit comes from pushing the covers down a bit on the storage box openings, against the spring tension of the covers and then tighten the screws! The elongated screw openings in the fairing allows for a more precise fit if you push down on the covers as you tighten them....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yep, Ive found that pushing them down like that makes for a better fit also, I'm an old aircraft mech as well and noticed no threads stick thru those lock nuts, I have installed more of those lids than you can count and each one was like that...FAA standards don't apply to the Roadglides, lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts