Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so to start, i'm thinking of upgrading so I have a newer bike to sell when I can.t ride anymore-found 2018 in renton wa. Harley dealer posted for sale at 18300.00-i talked to sales person about it to see if they would store for a month after purchase-the next day price went up to 19100.00-still a good price-spent all week trying to get someone to talk to me-I told salesman I would put 4000.00 down finance the rest for 36 mo-pay of when I sell mine.after 6 phone calls I get a text from sales manager telling me to fill out a finance request-which was done 4 days prior-so he comes back,with my rating I can get 0% for 5 yrs-their payments come to 26000.00-i told him that I wanted Harley credit-20% down-36 or 48 months and I would give him a card for down-they said they don't know me,will not take card-will not store bike at all-all of this is by text???also would not do electronic signing-I think I must be missing something-I would not dare send a cashiers check for down--

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Why would your reason for buying a new bike be, "so I have a newer bike to sell when I can't ride anymore"? Just keep what you have if you intend on stopping riding soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If I understand what you’re saying, I wouldn’t buy anything from them. If the price is 18300 and they go up 800 bucks after you showed interest I would have stopped there. But they offered you 0% financing and the total cost of the loan is 26000!!!?? If it’s 0% the total cost of the payments should equal the selling price. Run, run fast.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
It's things like this that dealers do that make me hate buying new shit. I've encountered weird crap like this many times and it's even from dealers that I have worked with before with no issues previously. Run away and don't look back!

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
so to start, i'm thinking of upgrading so I have a newer bike to sell when I can.t ride anymore-found 2018 in renton wa. Harley dealer posted for sale at 18300.00-i talked to sales person about it to see if they would store for a month after purchase-the next day price went up to 19100.00-still a good price-spent all week trying to get someone to talk to me-I told salesman I would put 4000.00 down finance the rest for 36 mo-pay of when I sell mine.after 6 phone calls I get a text from sales manager telling me to fill out a finance request-which was done 4 days prior-so he comes back,with my rating I can get 0% for 5 yrs-their payments come to 26000.00-i told him that I wanted Harley credit-20% down-36 or 48 months and I would give him a card for down-they said they don't know me,will not take card-will not store bike at all-all of this is by text???also would not do electronic signing-I think I must be missing something-I would not dare send a cashiers check for down--
I wouldn't worry about the cashiers check, but the increase in price and 0% finance adding an extra 8 k is a deal breaker. Way to many dealerships out there that will work with you . I'd send them a text back....Go pound salt !

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my reason for newer bike-I know I can get 3-4 years riding given my age-my 2011 has 50000 miles- at some point it isn't worth much even with new motor-a newer bike with very few miles will ,hopefully have less problems-I think there are more guys putting the 10000 miles or more a year are on newer rides-I want to do a native bagger front end-2200 if I do my own paint-would sooner spend on new ride-my logic may not match someone else-

·
Registered
247 Posts
Steer clear of that establishment, there are plenty of decent dealers out there to get a fair sale. As others pointed out, the early signs would have made me head out the door. There will always be slick salesman out there, doesn't mean we have to deal with them. Open the search radius. Go with your gut, it's got experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's all negotiable. Dealer's asking price can go up or down. Go in there when you are ready to buy and ready to take it home. That is the leverage you need. I would also let them know it's not just the selling price that matters. Ask for a breakdown of any fees involved with the purchase. Those can be negotiated also. Once that is settled you can talk about the 0%. Let them know you can bring in a check for the full balance if you don't get the rate you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
my reason for newer bike-I know I can get 3-4 years riding given my age-my 2011 has 50000 miles- at some point it isn't worth much even with new motor-a newer bike with very few miles will ,hopefully have less problems-I think there are more guys putting the 10000 miles or more a year are on newer rides-I want to do a native bagger front end-2200 if I do my own paint-would sooner spend on new ride-my logic may not match someone else-
Makes sense. I read your original post wrong. I thought you were selling sooner than 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
talk to the general manager and tell him you want a better experience lol
seriously, sales staff come and go every week.
either they want to sell a bike or they don't.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
It sounds to me like you are letting them run the show. Remember that they need to sell a bike more than you need to buy a bike. They are not your friends. They use all kinds of tactics to sell you a bike. I would walk in and say you want the $18300 price with NO FEES! The rest of what they are doing is complete BULL CHIT! Sorry for being blunt here, but if you don't understand that 0% interest coming to $26,000 means you are paying $26,000 for an advertised $18,300 motorcycle then you sir are a salesman's wet dream.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I wouldn't send a cashier check for the down either. I had my bank send them a bank check. Trail for the money but I can't get it back so they are safe. Sales not in person are not the norm and people are not used to it yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Likes been said the dealer jerking you around on the asking price then trying to bamboozle you on the financing tells you all you need to know about that dealer. They sound too shady to me to deal with. Saying that though why not visit the dealer if local or call them if they're not. You could have got more done with a phone call or two then a week worth of texting and emailing.

When I bought my last bike I called or visited 8 dealers in 5 states. I found the best deal then went to my local dealer to see if they could match it. They did better then match it, but if they hadn't I was prepared to go to the dealer with the best deal. I was dealing with a high mileage trade as well, but its amazing the information you can get over the phone. Yeah they can't tell you exactly what your trade will bring but they can ballpark it and tell you what they'll sell you their bike for. Most dealers quoted me similar deals but there was an $8k dollar difference between lowest and highest. You can also get a feel for who wants to sell a bike and who doesn't.

Ask around and find out which dealers people recommend in a acceptable radius to you and start calling. Calling you talk to someone right now, texting and emailing who knows when you'll hear from them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts