Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the correct area to post this, and it isn't a problem. Just an educational question of sorts.

This is my first motorcycle with the, "cush drive". I know what it is and how it works. But what is the strange sound in that area shortly after takeoff? Is that the spider gear and everything settling back into place?

Just curious really.

Thanks Y'all

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
It's just a rubber cushion between the wheel and the sprocket.

Part 8 in the photo.

At most it might thump. There are bearings in the wheel and the sprocket, but I don't see them making noise only as you pull away. If they are bad, the noise would be continuous.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
This may not be the correct area to post this, and it isn't a problem. Just an educational question of sorts.

This is my first motorcycle with the, "cush drive". I know what it is and how it works. But what is the strange sound in that area shortly after takeoff? Is that the spider gear and everything settling back into place?

Just curious really.

Thanks Y'all
Describe the sound. Could be your belt is not adjusted properly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's just a rubber cushion between the wheel and the sprocket.

Part 8 in the photo.

At most it might thump. There are bearings in the wheel and the sprocket, but I don't see them making noise only as you pull away. If they are bad, the noise would be continuous.
I figured that it was that rubber spider gear. I know what's in there. I modified and fabricated a set of late model Knuckles wheels for my '06 Ultra, but never got around to putting them on.

Describe the sound. Could be your belt is not adjusted properly.
It's really hard to describe the sound. It almost reminds me of a VERY faint emergency vehicle siren chirp. If that makes ANY sense.

Ill take a look at the belt slack and tracking on the pulley. The bike is brand new, but you never know.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Does it happen if you walk the bike backwards or forwards? Had a chirping with mine and a belt adjustment took care of it. If it happened while riding, I couldn't hear it over my D&D.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it happen if you walk the bike backwards or forwards? Had a chirping with mine and a belt adjustment took care of it. If it happened while riding, I couldn't hear it over my D&D.
I have to walk it out of the garage every day backwards down the driveway, but have not heard it walking it either back or forward. I seem to only hear it like right after starting from a stop, almost like when I start to get out of the throttle. Never after that though.

I wonder if I can get a sound byte of it or put the trusty GoPro on it....

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
There is a bearing in the rear drive pulley and that can go bad just like any other bearing. Lift the rear of the bike and check the rear pulley for unusual movement. If the pulley moves side to side it is bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a bearing in the rear drive pulley and that can go bad just like any other bearing. Lift the rear of the bike and check the rear pulley for unusual movement. If the pulley moves side to side it is bad.
Yeah, again, this bike is brand new. Not that things can't loosen up, but i doubt the bearing is, "bad". I'm gonna dig in there though.

Or, that elusive chirp from the rt side exhaust rubber under the bag
What is this here now chirp you speak off? I will investigate that....maybe move some things around down there see if I can replicate it.

I honestly don't think I have a problem. I really thought I would get, "oh yeah, that's the normal sound that the crampoozle perpetuum makes when the fulcrum realigns itself...." or some other, "that's an easy one", variation on that....

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
What is this here now chirp you speak off? I will investigate that....maybe move some things around down there see if I can replicate it.
This is only known to manifest when taking off at a slow
And seeing how the bike general goes where your head goes
Turning your head to investigate May place the bike up your a$$
YOU may want to lube it first

The slightest wiggly in the rubber will cause it....only when in motion

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is only known to manifest when taking off at a slow
And seeing how the bike general goes where your head goes
Turning your head to investigate May place the bike up your a$$
YOU may want to lube it first

The slightest wiggly in the rubber will cause it....only when in motion
HAHA, yeah, I guess I wasn't very clear on that. I was gonna wiggle some shit around while it's in the garage. :grin:

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
HAHA, yeah, I guess I wasn't very clear on that. I was gonna wiggle some shit around while it's in the garage. :grin:
If you wiggle it more than twice, it's concidered playing with it. :)

Reactions: reds4

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
HTML:
If you wiggle it more than twice, it's concerned playing with it. :)
Well...........Then i'm playing with it............wait.............yes I'm definitely playing with it. :laugh:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Or, that elusive chirp from the rt side exhaust rubber under the bag
That one is really annoying. Mine still wants to squeak at idle even after I replaced it ... I finally said fuck it and just turned up the radio.

Reactions: reds4
1 - 14 of 14 Posts