Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little embarrassed asking this question because it seems like it should be obvious. I recently acquired a lift table and I love it for most everything. Engine work, general service, changing the rear wheel, etc. Everything is much easier.

However, I recently swapped out my front wheel. I tried strapping down the rear, jacking up the front with a frame jack and then removing the wheel chock. I was going to have to jack it up pretty high to get the wheel/tire out from under the fender. I never could get comfortable with the way I had it set up. I eventually ended up putting the bike on the ground and using a regular MC jack to swap out the front wheel.

So, there's got to be a better way to do this on the lift table. What am I missing? How do you all do it?

·
Registered
809 Posts
With my HF table with a rocking style chock I would do it on the floor also. With my titan table it has a vise chock that I can remove a bar in the front to roll the tire out of. You could try and roll it on backwards and don't use the chock at all, just strap it down good.

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
Hello Jay,

Funny you should post this, I am in the same predicament. Have removed axle and spacers. Have the frame jack under the bike, have yet to remove the wheel chock. To top it all off i have the the lift in a corner of the shop so that I can still put in a company vehicle when the weather drops to -20 or so. So my front and left side access is very limited.

I was thinking that next time I need to do this of rolling the bike on backwards without the wheel chock on. This will take 2 people but then the second person can place the frame jack under the bike and lift the front end ever so slightly, strap the bike down overtop of the battery after taking the seat off. Raise the lift and remove the back section of the lift where you would normally remove the rear tire. Sound plausible?

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Both my thoughts have already been presented.....Remove the fender also so you height off the table is limited - Or, get some help backing onto the table & once strapped down, you can use the drop plate the same way you do when taking off the rear......

·
Registered
280 Posts
We use a HF table lift and remove their wheel chock in favor for the black trailer style chocks that flip forward when you roll the bike over it and locks the bike down enough to strap the bike down. Then in order to take the front end off we then take a frame jack and jack to bike up. once the tire just lifts off of the wheel chock, we pull the pins on the chock and remove the back part. Then you are able to slide the wheel out. It is the best way we found because this way one guy can do it all by themselves. Hope this helps you

·
Registered
818 Posts
If i'm pulling the front wheel it stays on the floor and gets lifted with the scissor jack. As long as I'm able to crawl around on my knees for 10 min. thats what I'll do. I'm not overly confident any time its on the HF lift.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. You guys got me thinking and I think I came up with something that should work.

I'm usually working alone, so no way I'd be able to back the bike onto the lift. However, I think I can easily drill a couple of holes at the head end of the table so I can swap my ramp to that end and ride it on from the other direction. Then strap it down, raise the front slightly with a frame jack, drop the end of the table and get to work!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I had similar problem. I have the HF lift and a removeable chock. I get the bike in the chock, strap down and remove the chock. HF also sells a small mc jack. Rated for about 1000 pounds. It's small enough to fit under the bike on the lift table. My brother welded a piece on to go across the bike frame. I use that to get blocks of wood on the the table so she's steady and than strap her. Easy access to anything you need in the front.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
We use a HF table lift and remove their wheel chock in favor for the black trailer style chocks that flip forward when you roll the bike over it and locks the bike down enough to strap the bike down. Then in order to take the front end off we then take a frame jack and jack to bike up. once the tire just lifts off of the wheel chock, we pull the pins on the chock and remove the back part. Then you are able to slide the wheel out. It is the best way we found because this way one guy can do it all by themselves. Hope this helps you
That's exactly what I do but use a small jack to sit the bike on wood so I can remove and swing whole front end.

·
Registered
391 Posts
After losing a bike from the lift table I am always looking for ways to tie them down. That was ugly and I was not there for a day or so, 3 gallons of fuel spilled out on the floor with a mix of a couple quarts of motor oil. It was an expensive lesson and a real chore to get that bike back up.

I think I would use the drop out hole by putting the bike on the lift backwards and use a frame jack and 2 sets of straps (4) to keep it from moving without using the chock. I like straps with soft loops as an addition or integrated as it increases the strapping locations while minimizing possible damage.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Lax, when you get a chance can you take a pic of your lift set up for me. I might be going that route. Thx

Yeah. It's at my brothers house. Hopefully be there tomorrow of my damn inner fairing ever gets painted. Lol

Q and Jay below is a shot of how I access the whole front end. Place on those blocks and strap down in 2 different places. I'll try and get a pic of the jacks I use while on the lift. A scissor jack would be awesome but there damn expensive.

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
Noticed today as I was taking apart the clamp style chock on the front of my lift that it has holes already drilled in it to connect the ramp and drive on from that end as well...duh. I needed access to the right side for the cam swap anyway but now that I know should be a lot easier in the future to swap out the wheels.

Had some fun jacking up the front end to fit the 21" underneath after taking off the 16". Had a buddy who stores his bike in my shop on hand to help out, that extra set of hands comes in handy when your removing the wheel for the first time.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yeah. It's at my brothers house. Hopefully be there tomorrow of my damn inner fairing ever gets painted. Lol

Q and Jay below is a shot of how I access the whole front end. Place on those blocks and strap down in 2 different places. I'll try and get a pic of the jacks I use while on the lift. A scissor jack would be awesome but there damn expensive.

If you want a scissor jack go to your local chain auto parts place and get a scissor jack for a car, then weld some square tubing on top of it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gettin ready to do the same thing. I did have my son help me back it onto the table, what a pain in the ass that was. Finally got it lined up right only to find the 180 rear tire didn't fit into the adjustable chock. Had to drill a few more holes to mount the non-adjustable side out about an inch more. Once we got it back up there and tightened down it worked out great. I've got it strapped down real good and when I'm ready to remove the front end I'll use my scissor jack to lift the front. Looks like it should work out ok.....

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts