Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know HD considers a Stage I to be air cleaner, pipes and tuner. I'm planning to keep my (upcoming) new 2019 SGU under warranty for a few years, so that means using SE/HD upgrades. But how much performance will I actually get paying for Street Cannon slip-ons. Again, to keep the warranty intact, mean keeping the cats too. Is it primarily just a sound improvement, or will I get a some performance? I'm basically wondering if I should save the $500 on the pipe upgrade, for now...

·
Registered
35 Posts
"Prolific" I have been pondering the same question since I purchased my 2017 RGS and I have been thinking of taking the money I would use for the stage 1 upgrade and buy some rear OLIN shocks and make the ride even better. Once the warranty is over then I will buy a complete exhaust and the Tuner of my choice. Anyway that's my thoughts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you take it one stage further to Stage II with a Torgue cam, you will feel a significant improvement in power and sound. You get a little bit of the lumpy idle back as well as much improved power trough the normal riding rpm band (2.5-4.5K). Make sure you run at least one smart tune session with your street tuner. The map HD downloaded with my stage II upgrade was crap until I did a smart tune run which made it acceptable. Rode it like that for a while then did a second smart tune and holly crap it's even better now!! Guess I'll try a third run in the near future and see what happens..... I have read on here somewhere that the M8 Cat is way less restrictive than previous years. Mine is still in place so can't speak to what it sound like removed. Over the years I've had straight pipes to stock pipes and everything in between. Personally, I like the sound I have now with Street Cannons but sound is totally subjective to each individual.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do plan on getting an improved SE air cleaner, tuner, auto-tuner and Stage II torque kit. I don't have a desire for super loud pipes like some people do. Been there, done that. I do like a nice low tone rumble as opposed to the sound of many stock pipes (not just HD stock pipes). However, if the Street Cannons aren't going to help with performance, and they're just a slight improvement in sound, then I may just wait it out and add pipes a few years down the line. That's $500 bucks saved for now.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I had a set of Street Cannons on my RGU. Better sound than stock muffs but not deep enough to suit me. I sold them and went with something else.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a set of Street Cannons on my RGU. Better sound than stock muffs but not deep enough to suit me. I sold them and went with something else.
That's what I think will happen with me. I may go with something superior in the future and if there's really no significant performance gain and very little improvement in sound then I plan to save the $500 right now and wait it out. The other option is dropping significantly more money ($1400 :surprise: ) and go with the SE high-flow exhaust system and street cannon package. I'm sure that's far better than the street cannons straight up, and it will still keep my warranty in tact... But is it $1400 better? LOL

·
Registered
702 Posts
That's what I think will happen with me. I may go with something superior in the future and if there's really no significant performance gain and very little improvement in sound then I plan to save the $500 right now and wait it out. The other option is dropping significantly more money ($1400 :surprise: ) and go with the SE high-flow exhaust system and street cannon package. I'm sure that's far better than the street cannons straight up, and it will still keep my warranty in tact... But is it $1400 better? LOL
Guessing they will still have to meet federal guidelines for noise and emissions so NOT going to be a great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You don’t gain much horsepower wise, which is wonder why I’ve done a Stage 1 on every bike I’ve had. I’ve had the Street Cannons for two years. It takes some time, but the tone gets deeper and louder as they age.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
So, I know HD considers a Stage I to be air cleaner, pipes and tuner. I'm planning to keep my (upcoming) new 2019 SGU under warranty for a few years, so that means using SE/HD upgrades. But how much performance will I actually get paying for Street Cannon slip-ons. Again, to keep the warranty intact, mean keeping the cats too. Is it primarily just a sound improvement, or will I get a some performance? I'm basically wondering if I should save the $500 on the pipe upgrade, for now...
You are really only getting an increase in sound by going stage I. If you want to actually feel something, you'll have to go stage two. I started with Street Cannons and a tune. Change: sound only. Then I put on the HD Ventilator air cleaner (retune). Change: I "think" the sound changed but honestly, it could have been me convincing myself that it did. Then I went HD torque cam and that is when you will actually feel a difference in performance. You also get the loping reminiscent of a twin cam engine when you add the torque cam.

If your goal is performance, wait till you have the bucks to go Stage II.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just watched an Adam Sandoval video on Youtube where he had a stage 4 with stock pipes, then upgraded pipes to the SE high-flow exhaust system (MSRP $1400). They dyno'd before and after. He gained 5 HP and 2 ft-lbs of torque. Um, that pretty much guarantees I am not going that route.

I think I'll probably just keep the stock exhaust until my warranty runs out, then I'll upgrade to something good and remove the cats.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You are really only getting an increase in sound by going stage I. If you want to actually feel something, you'll have to go stage two. I started with Street Cannons and a tune. Change: sound only. Then I put on the HD Ventilator air cleaner (retune). Change: I "think" the sound changed but honestly, it could have been me convincing myself that it did. Then I went HD torque cam and that is when you will actually feel a difference in performance. You also get the loping reminiscent of a twin cam engine when you add the torque cam.

If your goal is performance, wait till you have the bucks to go Stage II.

This. And the sound change will be modest especially compared to a twin cam and if you go with free flowing pipes you will be going backwards on bottom endD torque performance. Stage II will get you your sound. Been there done that now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i think you're looking for a better sound, but want to take a smaller step.

$360 for these, i don't think you can go wrong.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23897428-jackpot-m8-street-outlaw-chrome-slash-up-slip-on-mufflers.html#!year=2018||make=HARLEY-DAVIDSON||model=TOURING ROAD GLIDE ULTRA FLTRU

they sound good and add a little performance without sacrificing torque on the bottom end.
Agreed and fuelmoto are running these on some big horsepower M8's as well. So no need for a future upgrade when not if you do it lol. They also have a flashier model called the High Roller.

·
Registered
307 Posts
On the m-8's they are very exhaust sensitive like previously said big baffles ie. 2.5" will give you sound at the cost of torque.The 1.75 " baffle is what works best. Actually if you're looking for a performance exhaust on the m8 the D&D Billet Cat 2-1 is the king.Add a cam to that and you'll have tq right off idle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you take it one stage further to Stage II with a Torgue cam, you will feel a significant improvement in power and sound. You get a little bit of the lumpy idle back as well as much improved power trough the normal riding rpm band (2.5-4.5K). Make sure you run at least one smart tune session with your street tuner. The map HD downloaded with my stage II upgrade was crap until I did a smart tune run which made it acceptable. Rode it like that for a while then did a second smart tune and holly crap it's even better now!! Guess I'll try a third run in the near future and see what happens..... I have read on here somewhere that the M8 Cat is way less restrictive than previous years. Mine is still in place so can't speak to what it sound like removed. Over the years I've had straight pipes to stock pipes and everything in between. Personally, I like the sound I have now with Street Cannons but sound is totally subjective to each individual.
I agree with all these points. I started with stage 1, SEPST, cannons and hi-foo AC, diy. Improved sound so cars could hear me better, but didn’t notice big performance change, even with a few “auto” tunes. Later got toqu cam, 447. As stated, noticeable performance gains, and nicer lope sound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts