Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered stretched saddlebags for my 17 RGS. I know they are standard on 18s. I was reviewing the instructions and they come with wear strips that go on the lower portion of the bag's bottoms. From pictures I am looking at, the wear strip looks very noticeable and ugly. I have two questions for anyone who has them:

1. Are they as noticeable as they appear to be in photos?
2. Is it necessary to put them on to protect your bags? I mean, will the bottoms of the bags actually scrape on a lean?

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
If you are not scraping anything now, then probably not. If you are, then probably. If you get larger diameter slip ons they might scrape first.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I just ordered stretched saddlebags for my 17 RGS. I know they are standard on 18s. I was reviewing the instructions and they come with wear strips that go on the lower portion of the bag's bottoms. From pictures I am looking at, the wear strip looks very noticeable and ugly. I have two questions for anyone who has them:

2. Is it necessary to put them on to protect your bags? I mean, will the bottoms of the bags actually scrape on a lean?
I’d like to say You’ll never really see them....but I ride super low so maybe Yours will be different. With chrome mufflers they blend right in. Ive definitely never heard anyone say anything negative about them. Not sure why they’re there. I scrape my mufflers all the time but never have touched the bag protectors.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are not scraping anything now, then probably not. If you are, then probably. If you get larger diameter slip ons they might scrape first.
I occasionally scrape the floorboards but that's it.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d like to say You’ll never really see them....but I ride super low so maybe Yours will be different. With chrome mufflers they blend right in. Ive definitely never heard anyone say anything negative about them. Not sure why they’re there. I scrape my mufflers all the time but never have touched the bag protectors.

Thanks for the info. Great looking bike!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I have an 18 and really don’t notice them.

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
721 Posts

If this is what you mean, even in the new 2018 RG CVO you can see it. Also in the 2018 RGS. I don't know how they were before. Here some pics:

http://www.roadglide.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=338361&stc=1&d=1512573808

http://www.roadglide.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=338369&stc=1&d=1512573837

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
no the bags will not scrape-I put cvo style bags on my ultra cvo.only extend 3" or so,and you don't need chrome pieces.mine is lowered 1" rear-2" front no rub-however with a full 4" ext bag I have rubbed before

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a 18 Road Glide Special,They are not that noticeable but you don't need them,These Harley Bags are not really extended.I had Yaffe Stetched Bags on My Street Glide Much lower than the HD Bags,Would have liked the Chrome Strips on those.If you are gonna spend money on Bags Don't get Harley you can get Some bad ass aftermarket bags that look better.I will stick With these on my Special Bike cost Enough And they look Good.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 18 Road Glide Special,They are not that noticeable but you don't need them,These Harley Bags are not really extended.I had Yaffe Stetched Bags on My Street Glide Much lower than the HD Bags,Would have liked the Chrome Strips on those.If you are gonna spend money on Bags Don't get Harley you can get Some bad ass aftermarket bags that look better.I will stick With these on my Special Bike cost Enough And they look Good.
Thanks for the info. I looked into aftermarket bags but I have the hard candy custom color. I couldn't find anyone that paints their bags that color. (The same for inner fairings and side covers.) Too late now anyway; they have been shipped!

I'm going to leave the chrome strips off. I looked at them at the dealer and personally don't like the look.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If this is what you mean, even in the new 2018 RG CVO you can see it. Also in the 2018 RGS. I don't know how they were before. Here some pics:

http://www.roadglide.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=338361&stc=1&d=1512573808

http://www.roadglide.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=338369&stc=1&d=1512573837
I'm looking closely at these pics and the slope of the bottom of the bags. Is there any chance the protective strips are there for road debris (rocks, pebbles, gravel) and not for scraping? The locating of the strips gives me the impression that they are there to protect what is coming from the front of the bike while in motion and not scraping. Angling the bike during a lean, it appears that if the bags did scrape, it would happen on the edge and not on the bottom anyway.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm looking closely at these pics and the slope of the bottom of the bags. Is there any chance the protective strips are there for road debris (rocks, pebbles, gravel) and not for scraping? The locating of the strips gives me the impression that they are there to protect what is coming from the front of the bike while in motion and not scraping. Angling the bike during a lean, it appears that if the bags did scrape, it would happen on the edge and not on the bottom anyway.
No idea at all.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Probably some of the folks who have bought RGS or CVO 2018 could tell us (if they have been told in the dealer).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts