Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While putting my faring back on I cross threaded a nut insert located on the left side of the bike. It is the screw that holds the small wind deflector on and also Connects to the faring itself. I went to HD today and they said they don’t have this part alone and you have to buy the entire assembly.

Does anyone know where to find this or if it is a HD part, have a part number ?

IMG_6460.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
While putting my faring back on I cross threaded a nut insert located on the left side of the bike. It is the screw that holds the small wind deflector on and also Connects to the faring itself. I went to HD today and they said they don’t have this part alone and you have to buy the entire assembly.

View attachment 364073

Try McMaster-Carr Or Grainger

You should be able to find a replacement or come up with another fix.

Here's a link to "NUT INSETS"

https://www.mcmaster.com/#nut-inserts/=1cvbqfx

https://www.grainger.com/product/32FY61?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166589327917!!!g!328308774695!&ef_id=WoINTQAAAJMMOCKh:20180516193700:s

Swomack

·
Registered
357 Posts
I haven't torn one up that bad, but there's supposed to be rubber around that!
You can get them at Ace Hardware. Called wellnuts.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I haven't torn one up that bad, but there's supposed to be rubber around that!
You can get them at Ace Hardware. Called wellnuts.
That is not a "wellnut" like the 2013 & older glides use for the windshield. That is molded into plastic in the inner fairing to mount the outer fairing.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I stupidly buggered one of those. I ran a tap though it and fixed it. A tap & die set isn't too expensive and is handy to have around

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

View attachment 364073
sorry can't help with a part number. can it be anchored back in the fairing?
could you post a pic of where it goes?
how did you get the windshield off?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Use vice grips to separate. Tap & die the threads. JB weld the nut insert into fairing then hammer a brad or fine wire to make the fit more secure. I used that technique on my 96 EGU, no problems for I’ve 3 years with that repair.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Use vice grips to separate. Tap & die the threads. JB weld the nut insert into fairing then hammer a brad or fine wire to make the fit more secure. I used that technique on my 96 EGU, no problems for I’ve 3 years with that repair.
BINGO

JB WELD WILL WORK PERFECTLY FOR THIS FIX

Swomack

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I stripped a similar one. Went to the dealer, pointed at the part on a bike on the floor, and the guy got it in a minute. $3 if I remember.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I dont know much about the 15+ Road Glides, or Street Glides, but i think that is a common threaded insert they use on Street Glide Fairings.

The insert part number for those threaded inserts is: 16585-96
Won't that hurt the bloodline of the Shark to insert a Street Glide part into its system? I wouldn't do it! It may never run the same. :wink:

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Won't that hurt the bloodline of the Shark to insert a Street Glide part into its system? I wouldn't do it! It may never run the same. :wink:
TOO FUNNY :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I went to the stealership with part in hand and the parts guy could not locate it. He even showed me his parts module and was unable to pull up that part. It showed the entire media pocket assembly. I even pointed it out on a floor model as someone mentioned and no dice. I bought a replacement screw and searched at Home Depot, Lowe’s, harbor freight and ace hardware. No luck.

I attempted to re thread this piece and it’s too chewed up to JB weld back in to re use. I even considered JB welding the physical screw in but I would not be able to get my faring off in the future.

As of right now I ordered the entire media cubby assembly ($98). I will show up with that part number in hand and see if they give me what I need.

I spent over 2 days trying to figure this out and finally said F IT and ordered the entire media pocket.

·
Registered
155 Posts

View attachment 364073

Go to Lowes and go to the wood screw section. The brass insert for the wood is the same thread and size and is a gentle screw in. I learned this trick from an Indy Dealer, worked perfectly. I think it cost, well... very inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
As of right now I ordered the entire media cubby assembly ($98). I will show up with that part number in hand and see if they give me what I need.
I spent over 2 days trying to figure this out and finally said F IT and ordered the entire media pocket.
could you post the part number for the cubby assembly for future reference?

TIA

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
could you post the part number for the cubby assembly for future reference?

TIA

I will post the part number once I receive it. As of right now it’s ordered but hasn’t been delivered to my dealership yet.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
You should tell the parts man at your HD dealer to get off his lazy ass and do a kit breakdown. All HD kits have a breakdown sheet listing all the parts in the kit and the part# for all the parts in the kit. Call Horny Toad HD and talk to them, they should be able to do the kit breakdown for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts