Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is killing me. A simple oil change over a couple beers...the nut (17mm) on the end of my K&N oil filter stripped and broke off. Mr strap wrench won't get in there and the HD oil filter wrench doesn't fit the K&N. I don't want to do the screwdriver trick but will if I have to. Any other ideas? Are K&Ns thick enough to do the screwdriver trick? It's friggin 72 degrees...I don't have time for this crap.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359153396.644159.jpg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Get a big enough pair of channel locks and squeeze down on the filter to make a flat spot on each side. Then can slowly loosen the filter a hair at a time. Been there done that.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Napa

I use K&N filters also, but the nut is useless IMO. I have a couple of strap wrenches from Napa auto parts that work great. Basically it is a piece of 1/2" square tubing about 3-1/2" long with a web strap on one end to go around the filter and you insert a 1/2" ratchet in the other end. They never fail. It also helps to have your engine at operating temp.

Peace

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well.... I went out for a few hours with friends to blow off steam. Got a metal strap wrench on the way home and just tried that. Even that is crushing the filter. This thing is really stuck on there. I'm afraid a screwdriver will just shred it and still not get it off. I'll mess with it in the morning.

·
Registered
323 Posts
When my old bike had that, i just jammed the screwdriver through it and that got it to turn:banghead:

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've had filters crush before using strap wrench that I suggested earlier, but eventually they will come. I wouldn't use the screwdriver, if it doesn't turn the filter it will certainly tear the shit out of it and then you can't use any type of wrench at all on it.

Make sure motor is at operating temperature, it will make a difference.

Good luck

·
Registered
402 Posts
get the strap wrench as close to the crimp (threaded) end as possible.

had a real stuck one on a 4x4 years ago...drilled a hole all the way through it sideways about 2" above the crimp and put at long screwdriver through for leverage.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not to be a wise-ass, but just go buy the full coverage filter wrench that does fit the K&N. 8 or 10 bucks and you can continue to use the KNs with no problem getting them off. That's what I did. Quick solution.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try in the morning over a cup of coffee vice beer tonight. Maybe that'll keep my blood pressure a little lower and let me get it off!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to be a wise-ass, but just go buy the full coverage filter wrench that does fit the K&N. 8 or 10 bucks and you can continue to use the KNs with no problem getting them off. That's what I did. Quick solution.
Didn't know they made one. The K&N is completely smooth at the edge, so I don't understand how a cap wrench would grip it. I have the HD cap wrench and that doesn't come close to fitting it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Only reason for this is it was overtightened when it was installed. Very common problem because people think that because they can still turn it when tightening it that it must not be seated all the way.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only reason for this is it was overtightened when it was installed. Very common problem because people think that because they can still turn it when tightening it that it must not be seated all the way.
I've ALWAYS have gone hand tight plus a quarter turn all my life without any problems. K&N's box calls for more than that too. It says hand tight plus 7/8ths of a turn. Not saying I didn't over tighten it, but I went way less than recommended and it still won't come off.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Drill a hole on each side close to the base. Find a screwdriver that fits clean through it and turn it like an anchor. Makes a mess but works fast.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got it. I guess my beer muscles last night were working against me! A cup of coffee this morning was the trick along with a metal strap wrench.

Filled her back up and went for a nice ride! Putting the Tour Pak on now so the wife and I can ride a little later.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've ALWAYS have gone hand tight plus a quarter turn all my life without any problems. K&N's box calls for more than that too. It says hand tight plus 7/8ths of a turn. Not saying I didn't over tighten it, but I went way less than recommended and it still won't come off.
I have been a mechanic for 35 years and have had to deal with all kinds of uncooperative filters. Even if the filter can twists off and the threaded portion is still attached to the filter base don't freak out. You can use a punch and hammer to work the piece loose. On the other side of it, make certain when you install the filter to wipe a small amount of oil on the rubber seal. This will help when it comes time to remove said filter. Another thing to think about is most rubber seals with swell a little from the oil over time. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Get a big enough pair of channel locks and squeeze down on the filter to make a flat spot on each side. Then can slowly loosen the filter a hair at a time. Been there done that.
they usually call those "water pump pliers"...not sure why,but they work well in these situations.

Also,when you tighten the filter,don't go more than hand tight.Just get it as tight as you can by hand and it will usually come right off when it's time to change,been doing that for years and never had one leak yet.

plus,on some car filters that are hard to reach,it's really nice when you can unscrew them by hand.

Glad you got it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts