Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to visit a close friend of mine who had to sell his bike due to illness. He had been unable to ride for a while. He gave me a crate of Amsoil oil and tranny fluid. The fluids are sealed but have been sitting in Long Island, NY garage for probably five years, exposed to hot summers and cold winters.

My question is this: under the conditions described above, should I be concerned about the quality of the fluids? If unopened, does time and temperature effect quality?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Nope. In fact I have a friend that runs his own shop and I believe he told me he did some research on this very subject and which oils might have a shelf life. He said the only one he found that mentioned anything about it was Royal Purple. I would not even hesitate to use the fluids your friend gave you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some of the additives may settle out from sitting for a long time. Shake it up reel good if you are going to use it. I've seen this happen with old hydraulic oil I used in the transmission of my tractor.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
There are no stupid questions.

A good ask

The only stupid question is the one You don’t ask.

As what has been previously stated, should be no problem with the oil, give it a good shake before opening it and a good question to be asked.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
In aviation we use 10 years for the shelf life of oil. I tend to use this as a benchmark for other oils as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lesson learned: If the bottles have become ‘oily’, that’s an indication of leaching usually caused by UV breaking down the bottle materials. If the fluid leaches out it will also leach inward and contaminate the fluid.

There should be a date either manufacturing or expiry on the container go to manufactures web site. They typically have a Q&A on how to read date codes. There appears to be no standard used. Just look at date codes in grocery stores.

Just sharing.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts