Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some stupid questions about by 2012 FLTRX that I feel silly for asking but am going to anyway:

1) If the Primary case was just off to install a new compensator sprocket kit does that mean they also had to replace the primary fluid? (so I shouldn't bother replacing it again right now)
2) If I was going to replace the Primary fluid, do I actually need to open the primary?
3) can anyone point me to an online step-by-step guide on doing the 20,000 mile service myself?
4) I have never really worked on this bike, save for doing an engine oil change once. I have had the dealer do everything while it has been under warranty. My warranty is up in a month and I'm taking a cross country 10000 mile trip in a few weeks. What should I know/do? I am tired of being charged a lot of money at the Dealership and I want to do as much of my own work from now on as I can.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
All you need to service your bike is in the link below

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=8324

to answer your question, no you don't need to change it if it was just recently done, and you only need to pull the derby cover to full the primary. To drain it there is a plug just below on the rear. You'll definitely save lots of money doing it yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
A HD service manual is in your future ;) and it is a wise investment.

If your primary has just been worked on the answer is NO you shouldn't need to change the primary fluid, The HD maintenance schedule is every 10,000 miles on the primary.
No you do not have to take off the primary cover. You do have to remove the derby cover (you can reuse the old gasket) on the primary on the 2007 and later touring models, that is where you will fill the primary with the new fluid.
There is a drain plug under the primary just to the rear of the kickstand.
Make sure the bike is in an upright position when filling the primary and you only need to put in 38 fl oz (1124 ml) of fluid.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I actually already have the HD Service Manual but for someone who has never worked on this bike, and not really done all that much work on bikes in general, save for some old Hondas many years ago, I don't find it answers all my questions. This forum rocks. Any other manuals/books you all recommend?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
d I want to do as much of my own work from now on as I can.
Not stupid questions at all. We all start somewhere...

Others already answered your questions. You might consider getting one of these:

For about $10USD, it sure makes adding primary fluids easier.

Look into getting a service manual and take it to Kinkos to have it Spiral bound. Take a few minutes and costs about $5USD. Spiral binding allows the pages to lie flat while you're working.

Doing your own maintenance (even just routine fluid changes) will give you a sense of pride and accomplishment from taking care of your ride yourself and you can grow your tool inventory with the money you save.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Thanks!
Any other manuals/books you all recommend?
Yes, in addition to the Service Manual, get the Part Catalog for your year and model. Besides to showing an exploded view of the parts, it furnishes the part number to help in any replacement of parts. Sometimes you can get a single part instead of a "Kit" because you see what is needed for any repair.

I, personally have multiple years to aid in a possible future upgrade.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I may or may not ;) have electronic versions of the service manuals, parts, electrical diagnosis for 2012 touring handy. PM me if you (or anyone) is interested.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Not stupid questions at all. We all start somewhere...

Others already answered your questions. You might consider getting one of these:

For about $10USD, it sure makes adding primary fluids easier.

Look into getting a service manual and take it to Kinkos to have it Spiral bound. Take a few minutes and costs about $5USD. Spiral binding allows the pages to lie flat while you're working.

Doing your own maintenance (even just routine fluid changes) will give you a sense of pride and accomplishment from taking care of your ride yourself and you can grow your tool inventory with the money you save.
Spiral binding is a great idea. Never thought of that. EDIT.. just got the manual spiral bound. It cost me under $7.00. I tried to find the kinkos but apparently FedEx bought them out in at least my area.. FedEx Office did it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts