Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one going? where are you staying? I am staying at the Powder House lodge.First trip there cant wait.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I wish....haven't been since '98.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We're going. It will be the 20th anniversary of our first trip out there. We're actually going to ride the Rockies for a week before going up to Sturgis. Usually stay at Bear Butte campground but have no real plans yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
sturgis

Last time I went was in 2000 on my 2000 Heritage Springer. Stayed at Dakota Spirit Campground. Had a real nice site under the trees, which was really nice under the S. Dakota sun. Real nice owners, and an onsite "adult entertainment bar", and two other bars with food and stuff????? Had a great time, looking forward to the next time.:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Heading out with the family and friends,

We will be staying at the Cedar Wood Inn in Deadwood. It is only 6 blocks from the downtown area.

The wife is riding on the back of the FLTR, my son is again, "Borrowing" my 2003 Super Glide and riding with us. It is his 21st Birthday gift from us, the trip, not the bike!

First, and only other Sturgis visit was in 2004 on the Super Glide. On the way home my riding buddy and I did the "Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000". Made it home in a day and a half!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
We are going. The wife and I are going with three other couples from Omaha. We typically rent a house up in the hills outside of Deadwood or Lead. This year we are staying in a house on Terry Peak.

We are going to be there 7/31-8/4. We go either the week before the rally or after to miss most of the crowds. We just go there for the great roads and pass on the wild parties (there's guy trips for that). Unless we take someone new who has never been, we don't even go into Sturgis.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We are going. The wife and I are going with three other couples from Omaha. We typically rent a house up in the hills outside of Deadwood or Lead. This year we are staying in a house on Terry Peak.

We are going to be there 7/31-8/4. We go either the week before the rally or after to miss most of the crowds. We just go there for the great roads and pass on the wild parties (there's guy trips for that). Unless we take someone new who has never been, we don't even go into Sturgis.

Howdy!

A large group of riders, on a organized trip from our local H-D dealership, "Steel City Harley-Davidson" will be staying at Terry's Peak.

They will be there from the 8th thru the 15th. the cabins are the "Northwood's Lodge" and "Da Bear's Den".

My little group, the wife, me, my son and son-in-law, wanted to be closer to town, walking distance from some good watering holes,

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I'm riding through the week before the rally on my way down from Canada to Texas. Plan to spend a day or two in the area before the craziness hits. suspect I'll do a lot of waving at all the bikes heading up as I'm heading down.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I plan on going. Will be arrive on Monday and leave on Thursday, right now we have a room in Rapid City (but that may change if I end up finding a vacancy some place closer).

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Sturgis

We are headed that way the first week of July. I am not much on huge crowds, but REALLY want to ride out that way. I am not sure where we will be staying yet, but have to finalize pretty quickly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Heading down for the 8th time. Usually camp on Bills front lawn 10 blocks from main street. Able to go out and pop a pouple pops without the worry of getting back to the campgrounds that way.

·
Registered
934 Posts
If you are looking for a nice quite place to stay near mt Rushmore check out Palmer Gulch. It's a KOA with a motel and cabins. Bar and Resturant on grounds. Pancake breakfest in the morning. It is just outside Hill City so you are a good hour ride from Sturgis. Great riding nearby.

·
Registered
525 Posts
At our local Hog Chapter meeting last night, Bill Davidson (Willie's son) was our speaker. He is now responsible for the Musuem.

Anyhow, he mentioned that he and his dad are planning a large group ride from Milwaukee to Sturgis, this year, with detalis to be announced soon.

Bill rides an anniversary RG, and I want to be on that ride to Sturgis!

That would be a trip!

·
Registered
94 Posts

I bought my RG at Dillon Bros in Omaha. They treated me great there. I would recommend them to everyone. Our daughter & grandkids live in Bellevue so we get to Omaha a couple times a month. Great city you guys have.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone ever stay at the Powderhouse lodge in Keystone SD? Place looks good just wondering how far from town.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I will be there. I have been in 2008 & 2009. My daughter will be riding with me. I am fortunate and have family in Sturgis so I get to stay for free. We take in a couple concerts at the Buffalo Chip and ride through the hills and badlands. You can't beat the riding. I enjoy going back every years since I grew up about 2 1/2 hours away in Nebraska.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Digga, never heard of the Powderhouse but Keystone is a good hour ride from Sturgis. You are close to most of the good riding, Needles, Iron mountain and Custer Park. When I stay in the south hills I usually only go into Sturgis once or twice. If you don't care about the night life the south hills are the way to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm going...

Me and my paadna Fuzzy are headin out on Aug. 4th. Gonna hang out a few days and head home on the 10th. Staying somewhere in Lead. A co-worker and his family have rented a house and we are staying with them. BTW...I have a couple more buddies (one of them a recently coverted RG owner) who might ride out with us but we don't have room at the house. If anyone knows of accomdations near Lead, I would appreciate a heads-up.

I was there in Aug. of 2004 for a couple of days on a Houston to Denver to Sturgis to Billings to Beartooth to Yellowstone to Denver to Houston ride but didn't get to see much so I'm looking forward to spending more time seeing the countryside.

BTW...I really enjoy this site. It's packed with great information and insight. I joined a few months ago and have just been lurking. I haven't posted before because, basically, I don't know nuttin...:) I am on my second RG. First one was an '05 Black Cherry. Last summer I swapped it out for an '09 Red Hot Sunglo. I will post some pics as soon as my wife teachs me how to use the camera.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts