Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sturgis 2011 ***POLL ADDED***

Who's going? Would love to meet up with some of you guys. We are making a roundtrip of approx 3500 miles. Actually will only be at the rally for 2-3 days (sun 7th-tues 9th or wed 10th) then riding to other states.
So anyone wanna meet up?

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are staying in Rapid City...about 25 miles from Sturgis. Ive never been but my husband has, hes always stayed in Rapid City. So its not too far out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Were scooting down too, but leaving Kelowna on the 8th and coming in thru Yellowstone so won't get there till 11th.... We stay in Rapid City and Deadwood the last night. Room rates are a helluva lot better in RC and it's a nice ride in the back way and we always have a blast in Deadwood.

Dirk

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Rapid city is. Great jumping off point for sturgis. You Re gonna have a blast. We rode out there last year, headed in another direction this time around, yet to be determined.

Rowdy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Going for my 4th time this year. The first time was in 2001, for our honeymoon. I went again in 2004 & 2008, but the wife didn't want to go at that time.

Just before the first of the year, we were talking about going with another couple, and my wife, Becky, was all excited about going. They backed out, and she lost enthusiasm, so I figured it was out of the cards for this year.:(

Fast forward 2 weeks, we're talking about Sturgis with my brother and his girlfriend, they decide they want to go, and Becky's all excited again.:)

Last weekend I told my Becky I can't handle the emotional roller coaster. If my brother and his girlfriend back out, we're still going. And if she backs out, I'M still going!:D

I'll probably stay at Lamphere Campground again. The rates are good, lots of shade, a well stocked general store with a decent grill, and clean showers. The Full Throttle is right across the street, and Da Bus stops there.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Last there in '04. Plans are to go this year. Thats about as much as Ive planned. Will be camping. Hopefully this time it will be warm.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glenco is also a nice camp ground area.
Tents, rv`s, trailers, hot showers and food.

If your going to yellow stone, be sure to check out Beartooth pass, its a must see.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you going to Yellowstone try to plan more than one day. While you can do it in one day, there is so much to see. Yes Beartooth Pass is a must. Get ahold of me and I can give some pointers on roads and maybe join you. I'm planning on Sturgis but it is only 300 mile trip for me. Staying in Rapid City isn't bad as they have more hotels and campgrounds available.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Stopped there for a week just before last years event and rented a cabin by Deadwood. We flew the wives into RC and picked them up, had a great time riding the black hills and seeing the sites. Thinking about this year, but cost a few bucks last time, don't want to spend as much money.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have been to Sturgis nearly every year since 2000 and I have stayed out of town and in town and by far the most fun is staying in town. Days end campground is right in town and excellent camping.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Momma and I will be at the Chip. We are Sturgis virgins :eek:. We would love to meet up with forum members for a ride and maybe a beer. Devils tower, Rushmore, something like that...

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I am thinking of doing the week before trip. Seems lots of folks do this. I am not really interested in the crowds and all, just want to ride the scenic highways. Supposedly, a lot of the vendors are already there and open. I have a reservation at the Fairfield Inn in Rapid City, got it free on points. Free is good... :D That saves a lot of $$$ for the trip, just adds a bit of back and forth time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I found for us, staying in Rapid City is the way to go, saves money, you have a hotel room with your own can, and I like the 385 into Sturgis. Done the camping thing years ago and it can be a PIA, the Days End is the way to go if you don't want to listen to the yahoos allll night.

The riding thru Vanoker, Spearfish etc we always do in the early/midmorning time, keeps the idiots and drunks to a mimimum and you can ride the roads the way they were meant to be. Then we hit Sturgis, wander around do the usual and ride back as the crowds really intensify. We stay at the Budget Host, good pool and deck and big horse shoe covered deck for all the upper floor units and thats where we cut loose and party with eveyone - met some good people - and the bikes are parked and you can see them.

Dirk

W

·
0 Posts
Was planning on going this year but may not get out of town until the 8th or 9th. Wife's never been and I guess that saves me some money. The daughter has gone 2 times with me and now she is a Vegan and I'm not so I said you can't be seen with me and she said probably not. haha Therefore I guess it's me all by myself. I stay at either one of two campgrounds. Wyatt's, N of Spearfish or Chris' in Spearfish. Chris' has cabins, RV and tent camping, a nice breakfast area and a covered pavilion at night for some really good meals.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I guess if you have been there before the week before would be ok but really you miss the essance of Sturgis unless you are there during the rally. If you are going to go the week before you may as well go the month before. I have gotten there a couple of days early before and it is pretty dead. A huge part of Sturgis is just sitting on the corner watching people. For me that and the vendors (gear head vendors not clothing vendors) are what Sturgis is all about. The nice thing about staying in Sturgis is you can enjoy the night life and not have to worry about driving to RC or Spearfish etc.

W

·
0 Posts
A huge part of Sturgis is just sitting on the corner watching people.
Sitting on the lawn in the shade on a 100 degree day at the Meade County Courthouse. You see all kinds of interesting things sitting there. Then meander into town and sit on some of the benches and people watch. More fun than going to Disney Land.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Sitting on the lawn in the shade on a 100 degree day at the Meade County Courthouse. You see all kinds of interesting things sitting there. Then meander into town and sit on some of the benches and people watch. More fun than going to Disney Land.
exactly, some of the best entertainment going.

W

·
0 Posts
One of the most entertaining things was, there were a group of bikes backed up against the curb on one of the side streets which is 100% legal. Then a group of guys I believe it was 5 came and parked in front of those bikes thus blocking the other bikes in. Bad move on their part. A group of LEO's came by and that's when the entertainment began. The tow company arrived and I have never in my life seen a person that could put a Tow Truck sling on an MC so fast. In no time at all that chick had those bikes gone all under the watchful eye's of the 4 LEO's. One of the officers told me no matter if the person returned or not they would have to watch their bike get hauled away and then go pay the fine.

Only 5 more months till the fun begins.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts