Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Sturgis. First time. Need some suggestions on some places to stay. Don't want to camp and don't mind staying 30 or so miles away. Thanks in advance for the information. I know I need to book a room right away.

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
We stayed in Rapid City as well. Ramada Inn....fairly cheap for that time of year. They had the parking lot blocked off just for bikes. Free bike wash area with towels and soap.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If going with a group, look to rent a house. Spearfish has some nice rentals. A big plus is you can pack light and do laundry at the house and most have garages.

+ 1, we rented a house in Blackhawk for the whole week. Worked perfect and with the group we had it was not any more than a motel or hotel would have been with many more benefits. We were lucky to have someone that trailered their bike so we had a place to carry coolers with food and beverages plus 1 guy broke down(stator) so we had a way to get his bike back without paying the $900.00 they wanted to fix it out there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Cambria Suites in Rapid City is really nice. Had a room with two queen beds and a sofa sleeper for about $250 a night, which was split three ways. Also had two flat screen tvs. I already have my reservations for this year. They reserve their parking right in front for motorcycles during the rally plus they setup a free bike wash on site.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Depends on if you're going out there to ride or party. Looking to tent camp or something better? If you're going out there mostly to ride, Piedmont is a good option. It's half-way between Sturgis & Rapid City, close enough to all of the action yet far enough away to get some sleep at night. Below is the information for where I stayed last year (as well as my whole group plus a couple other guys from this forum). It worked out really well. Good luck. Also note, prices where from last year.

Piedmont Rancheria (also called the Horse Ranch)

Edgar (Ed) Lamkin
H: 605.787.6758
M: 605.430.6506
I-90 between exits 44 & 46
Rm w/ 2 queen beds & private BR ($170)
Rm w/ bunkbed & queen bed ($150)
Rm w/ bunkbed ($120)
50% deposit required

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
1. Close
2. Quiet
3. Costs less than an arm & leg.

Pick any two.

As a reference, I saw where the Super 8 on Rushmore Highway in Rapid is $225/night, 5 night minimum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Rapid City Ramkota Best Western had a reception the day we got there. The rooms are really large. It is a full service hotel with a restuarant and a bar. There is a gas station next door to gas up in the am. I think it was $250 a night.

·
Registered
202 Posts
VRBO.com

Five of us are headed up from north Georgia (the week before.) and have a 5 bedroom on Sherman street IN Sturgis for 3k. Comes out to $651 each ( with tax) for the week. Week during is much more expensive.

Beavz

·
Registered
432 Posts
We stayed in Lead last year, which is a few miles south of Deadwood. Rented a house on Terry Peak for $2500 for the week of the rally. We had three couples, three bedrooms and two baths, so I guess the price was comparable to staying in a hotel. We plan to go back to the rally in 2014.

·
Registered
32 Posts
At least once

Would like to go to Sturgis at least once I finally can get enough time to go. I want to ride out from Jersey. Take my time getting there and my time getting back. Maybe like plan a route there or on the way home through Michigans upper pinnensula. Looking for a place to stay and somebody to ride out with. I'm looking to do alot of riding while I'm out there. Any info would help thanks T-Bone

·
Registered
983 Posts
Going to Sturgis. First time. Need some suggestions on some places to stay. Don't want to camp and don't mind staying 30 or so miles away. Thanks in advance for the information. I know I need to book a room right away.
If you're going with a group, renting a house is a great way to go. Check out http://www.vrbo.com/

We rented a large log cabin just outside of Deadwood a couple years back and it was great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Right now it's just me myself and I. Been traveling that way for a few years now.When I deacide to go I let people know if they can come great if not thats ok too, I'm not getting any younger. Traveling alone aint all that bad.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just booked a room using Travelocity. It is the Hampton Inn in Spearfish, SD for the AAA rate of $125 a nite, it's less then 20 miles back to Sturgis from there. It will be our first time to Sturgis, my only concern is getting back and forth from there especially if we want to go to a concert at Full Throttle, Buffalo Chip in the evening. Is it safe riding that area at nite?

·
Registered
569 Posts
BLJ i suggest renting a car for those specific issues. The cops at the Throttle are crazy if you blink wrong you are going to jail. look at car rentals outside of Sturgis though. May save a big headache.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I just booked a room using Travelocity. It is the Hampton Inn in Spearfish, SD for the AAA rate of $125 a nite, it's less then 20 miles back to Sturgis from there. It will be our first time to Sturgis, my only concern is getting back and forth from there especially if we want to go to a concert at Full Throttle, Buffalo Chip in the evening. Is it safe riding that area at nite?
Thats a helluva price. Best I can find is around 330 for that hotel. I like Hampton though and its a brand new hotel that is supposed to open sometime this month. Great find!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Don't worry, it'll be daylight before you get home.

But seriously--you might want to confirm that pricing directly with the hotel in writing. Have you noticed that this hotel is several hundred dollars a night cheaper than others nearby? I'd check out that "additonal mandatory hotel charges" clause on the travelocity site that says the hotel can stick you with extra charges in addition to the travelocity rate for just about any reason they want.

You might have found the deal of the rally....and then again, you might have found a deal too good to be true.

·
Registered
432 Posts
WOW!!! That's a great price! When we looked at hotels, almost everything was in the $225 to $275 per night range.

Take the interstate down to Buffalo Chip & Full Throttle from Spearfish, Get off at Junction Ave., north to Lazelle St. and right to FTS. That way you're only stuck in traffic for half of Sturgis. Good idea about bringing a car, then all the drunks aren't puking on your bike. LOL

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the info on maybe getting a car. I am trailering the bike so I will have my SUV there so we can use that. I just called the motel to verify the rates that Travelocity gave me and the woman who I spoke to said those are the correct rates of $125/nite AAA and $139/nite Best Available. I am booked for Aug 1-7 not sure if that makes a differnce on the rates. I am considering going the campground route as I am currently looking into buying a toyhauler trailer. So does anyone have any good recommendations for campgrounds? I have friends that stay at DaysEnd and some that stay at Bulldog Creek.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts