Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been to Sturgis before but I know how quickly the rooms book up..

I've decided to ride to Sturgis next year so I went ahead and booked the rooms.. Here's my proposed itinerary....

Aug-1 Riding from Guthrie, Ok to Garden City, KS
Aug-2 Riding from Garden City, KS to Sidney, NE
Aug-3, 5 Arrive in Sturgis and see the sites
Aug-6 Riding from Rapid City to Estes Park, CO
Aug-7, 8 Explore Rocky Mountain national park
Aug-9 Riding from Estes Park, CO to Garden City, KS
Aug-10 Riding from Garden City, KS to Guthrie, Ok

Anyone have any input on Things to do or see along the way?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I know what you mean about the rooms filling fast. Two years ago we rented a house with some other folks in Lead, SD. It was ok. This year it's just the wife & I going, so we booked a hotel room in Rapid City. That was about two weeks ago. Yesterday, I logged in to see that there are no more rooms available!!!!

I don't know if you're giving yourself enough time to see everything with only three days at the rally?? There are so many great roads and great sights, you can EASILY do a week.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean about the rooms filling fast. Two years ago we rented a house with some other folks in Lead, SD. It was ok. This year it's just the wife & I going, so we booked a hotel room in Rapid City. That was about two weeks ago. Yesterday, I logged in to see that there are no more rooms available!!!!

I don't know if you're giving yourself enough time to see everything with only three days at the rally?? There are so many great roads and great sights, you can EASILY do a week.
I worry about only spending 3 days there also, but we really want to ride the Rocky Mountains, and I figure since were only 6 hours away my liver might be happier if we head out of Sturgis a little early.... LOL

Every one I know who has gone to Sturgis says to get in early, get out early...

·
Registered
557 Posts
My best trips are when I don't plan and just go. I can understand booking rooms in Sturgis or the surrounding areas but the rest of the trip, go with the flow. That way you are always on schedule.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I couldn't agree more with "going with the flow"! The group I went with were some really great people, and I love them all like brothers, but...............Every friggin time we stopped they were on their cell phone. I said "WTF..you're 2,000 miles away from home. It would take you two days to get there if you left right now. Lets be like Wild Hogs and toss the phones!" Needless to say we all still have one. That stuff only happens in the movies. LOL

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My best trips are when I don't plan and just go. I can understand booking rooms in Sturgis or the surrounding areas but the rest of the trip, go with the flow. That way you are always on schedule.
That's exactly my plan... I've only booked the room in Sturgis, the rest will be get there when we get there....

·
Registered
852 Posts
Make sure you ride nemo road from sturgis to norris peak rd to 44. Stop for breakfast at the fire station in nemo. You can go that way to rushmore or custer. 3 days is going to be tough to get everything. Spearfish canyon is a dont miss, go up to roughlock falls. Go to devils tower spend some time in huelet and stop at stone house saloon. If you like wildlife do the wildlife loop in custer. Needles is a must. Needles and iron mountain do early in the morning to beat the parade. Booze and food is expensive during the rally. Drink at thw hotel or house and walk.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am going for 1st time as well 2014, and will be riding from NH.. I am staying in Keystone fri-8/1-tues 8/4 so I can do the rides and tourist thing then moving to the buffalo chip for 3 nights so I can park the bike and do sturgis the way I want to before riding back to NH. I am meeting friends who are putting their bikes on trucks and flying out so if anyone wants to ride out from the east coast hit me up, as of right now I am solo but wife will be riding back with me on her own shark as well. Woo Hoo can't wait,:D:eek:

Can you buy beer out in town and bring it into the Buffalo chip? Any tips and things to do will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
That is pretty much what I like to do. My ride too and from Sturgis in 2012 was planned the night before each days ride. I even got sidetracked by a Canadian and ended up riding thru the Beartooth pass on a wim. My trip to SW Missouri this year was the same way planned the night before each ride. I had a general idea of where I was going before I left home, but never made reservations or defintative plans.

2-full days in Sturgis is not anywhere near enough time to see the area and get a good Sturgis expierience IMO. It's your trip though so plan it as you wish. You could always ditch Colorado this time and run there the following year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If your plans stray, keep in mind that your 3 1/2 hours from the Little Bighorn battlefield in Montana. Great riding thru Black Hills National Forest and Custer National Forest, take 212 West out of Belle Fourche. (Takes you right there) I have been there a couple times, I find it fascinating. If you go top off the tank in Belle Fourshe, gas stops are scarce for a while.

Great Steaks are at:
Stockmans Club
Hwy. 212
Broadus, MT 59317

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I am going for 1st time as well 2014, and will be riding from NH.. I am staying in Keystone fri-8/1-tues 8/4 so I can do the rides and tourist thing then moving to the buffalo chip for 3 nights so I can park the bike and do sturgis the way I want to before riding back to NH. I am meeting friends who are putting their bikes on trucks and flying out so if anyone wants to ride out from the east coast hit me up, as of right now I am solo but wife will be riding back with me on her own shark as well. Woo Hoo can't wait,:D:eek:

Can you buy beer out in town and bring it into the Buffalo chip? Any tips and things to do will be appreciated.
I went for the first time this year but was only there a couple days which was not nearly enough. Some of us are planning to go again next year then ride to SW in New Hampshire so maybe we can hook up on the way back across. I know there will no doubt be several groups heading east from the left coast and such.

Some say it ain't what it used to be, it's too crowded and on and on. I don't know about that but we had a blast the time we were there. We only scratched the surface though riding and seeing the area. As far as the crowds, yeah there's a bunch of people but it's not bad really if you ride smart. Pick what you wanna see and get out and ride in the mornings when the crowds are smaller. Later in the afternoon when everyone is getting out ride into Sturgis. Go down Lazelle St. find a side street, around 7th and find a place to park. If there's only one or two of you you may find a place on the street somewhere but if not there are empty (grassy) lots that are all free parking. Dont run your gas too low so you have to sit in line to get it. Whenever we saw a station 10 deep in line to get gas we'd ride to the next station and there'd only be one or two if anyone in line. We didn't sit in line for anything.

·
Registered
158 Posts
IMO, one of the most important things to do in and around Sturgis and Rapid City is OBEY THE LAW!!! The gestapo out there cut no one a break for anything and will even lie to make an arrest. If you are wearing colors and not in a large group, expect to be stopped for no reason at all. They will photograph your colors, bike and everyone on the bike.
Good luck,

Kudu40

·
Registered
158 Posts
PS to my last post; the Chip doesn't allow you to bring your own booze onto their property but they don't search. We brought our own every day and kept a low profile with it and had no problems.

Kudu40

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm still working out all the logistics.... For those who have been, when do all the bars and attractions start opening? Do they start a couple days early?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Pretty much everything is open the week before. Only stone house saloon was closed on Thursday before this year. No lines or crowds until Friday. Prices shot up Thursday. Example: bottle of bud light at knuckle was 2.50 on Wednesday and a can was 5.00 on Thursday. Food was same jump. Paid 65/night week prior this year at deadwood gulch in deadwood this year.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pretty much everything is open the week before. Only stone house saloon was closed on Thursday before this year. No lines or crowds until Friday. Prices shot up Thursday. Example: bottle of bud light at knuckle was 2.50 on Wednesday and a can was 5.00 on Thursday. Food was same jump. Paid 65/night week prior this year at deadwood gulch in deadwood this year.

If things start opening the week before, then I'll probably head out a couple days early and stay an extra couple of days...... That would get me up there on the Friday before the rally and give me SAT-WED.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
First time to Sturgis in 2014. We (16 of us) have a BFH rented in Deadwood. Looking for suggestions for full day rides from Deadwood or Sturgis. We will be there for 10-days so plenty of time to see the area if we do it smart. Definitely will spend a day in Deadwood and a day or two in Sturgis. We already know we will ride to Mt. Rushmore and Spearfish Canyon. Any other ride suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts