Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Myself and the wife are going, yes we will be riding all the way from western Washington. a friend is pulling our toy hauler got VIP reservations at the chip. Hope the bands are really good this year!

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
did a doubletake on the sitting bull photo. forgot about the scale model lol
best riding i have ever done.
but never been anywhere else out west.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
We are planning our 3rd trip to Sturgis this year (2001 and 2016), just curious how many are going and maybe we can organize a meetup. We'll be staying between Keystone and Rapid City in Rockerville 8/10 thru 8/14 but we can ride anywhere!

View attachment 437716
View attachment 437718
View attachment 437717
View attachment 437719
My son and I plan to take a short (long weekend) ride to Sturgis this year. We typically stay at the Rush-No-More campground, Home – RV Camping Vacation Rush No More RV Park & Resort, Cabins, Camping, and Recreation, the Dakotas #1 RV Park in Sturgis SD when visiting Rapid City, Mt Rushmore and the Beautiful Black Hills Area& Recreation, Sturgis SD and the Black Hills at Rush No More RV Park, Cabins & Campground . No need for reservations.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
We are planning our 3rd trip to Sturgis this year (2001 and 2016), just curious how many are going and maybe we can organize a meetup. We'll be staying between Keystone and Rapid City in Rockerville 8/10 thru 8/14 but we can ride anywhere!

View attachment 437716
View attachment 437718
View attachment 437717
View attachment 437719
I should add that I have ridden to Sturgis and the Black Hills area for more than 30-years. If any newbies have questions about sites or rides, I can likely help. I have visited the "many local holes in the wall", local bars, music and usual tourist traps. Even the direction you take on a ride on a given day can make a difference, especially with traffic. There are also local routes to bypass the rally traffic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2022 will be our 32nd consecutive. Don't know why we keep going back. Maybe it's the friends we've made, or the rides, or the atmosphere. or just all of it, and again, just as excited like we were 32 years ago.
32 times! Wow. Would you share some of your fav routes from Sturgis/Rapid City for good day trips? I've looked up Devil's Tower, Spearfish canyon and a few others where I can find the data, but I'm curious of your best of picks. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
32 times! Wow. Would you share some of your fav routes from Sturgis/Rapid City for good day trips? I've looked up Devil's Tower, Spearfish canyon and a few others where I can find the data, but I'm curious of your best of picks. Thanks in advance.
I-90 is quickest to Sturgis from Rapid City. As soon as you arrive, pick up one of the maps of the Black Hills. It will show most all of the favorite rides and locations. Avoid night time riding, animals, cold as the sun sets, Rain or hail in the afternoons. Watch for the rookies learning how to ride their first ever motorcycle. You will be passed in the same lane your in, stay to the right to let them by. Sturgis is the epitome of price gouging, be well prepared. In the 31 years we still haven't seen it all. Have fun, we always do, still.

·
Premium Member
2021 Road Glide Special
327 Posts
Not only can you ride anywhere, but you can fly anywhere too! Is that your helicopter?

Will pass on Sturgis this year as I’m still a new rider. But I will make it up one year for sure. It’s a must on the list, that and Daytona. I’ve heard from a lot of people that say to go the week before or week after if you want to see everything, get the experience of Sturgis, and avoid the crowds.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I recommend exploring Custer State Park. There is Needles Highway which is a must. There are the Needles Eye and Hood tunnels (and a 3rd) and the pigtail bridges as well. The buffalo and animals are more to the south part of the park.
Here is one route. It is on the Indian Ride Command app. I believe you can look at it directly without an account. Easy to set up an account. Harley Ride Planner doesn't work for me anymore.

This is a route into Custer State Park, with the tunnels and pigtail bridges. It also maps to a nice restaurant/bar in Keystone that is off the beaten path (Halley's). Cheaper beer and good burgers! It then maps to Deadwood. Saloon #10 has some history. Next is Rochford. The pavement ends there. It is a beautiful ride! There should be some local musicians in the town and also with cheaper food and beer. Next is Spearfish canyon, followed by a potential stop in Whitewood. The route ends at the Iron Horse Saloon that has lots of music as well. I'll post a couple other favorite routes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
if you are staying in/around Sturgis then Vanocker Canyon is pretty great. Iron mountain road is good too but if you want to see it without getting stuck behind a car doing 20 under, then go early.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I recommend exploring Custer State Park. There is Needles Highway which is a must. There are the Needles Eye and Hood tunnels (and a 3rd) and the pigtail bridges as well. The buffalo and animals are more to the south part of the park.

Here is one route. It is on the Indian Ride Command app. I believe you can look at it directly without an account. Easy to set up an account. Harley Ride Planner doesn't work for me anymore.

This is a route into Custer State Park, with the tunnels and pigtail bridges. It also maps to a nice restaurant/bar in Keystone that is off the beaten path (Halley's). Cheaper beer and good burgers! It then maps to Deadwood. Saloon #10 has some history. Next is Rochford. The pavement ends there. It is a beautiful ride! There should be some local musicians in the town and also with cheaper food and beer. Next is Spearfish canyon, followed by a potential stop in Whitewood. The route ends at the Iron Horse Saloon that has lots of music as well. I'll post a couple other favorite routes.

Here is another route through Vanocker Canyon Rd to Nemo Road. Boondocks is a fun stop. Traffic can be hairy getting out to head into Deadwood. I sometimes have to head the wrong direction and take a U-turn. Beautiful Ride.

There is more of Nemo Road you may want to consider. Great ride! You ride into Rapid City and start there.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Here is another route through Vanocker Canyon Rd to Nemo Road. Boondocks is a fun stop. Traffic can be hairy getting out to head into Deadwood. I sometimes have to head the wrong direction and take a U-turn. Beautiful Ride.

There is more of Nemo Road you may want to consider. Great ride! You ride into Rapid City and start there.

Here is a good route on Wednesday's. Sundance has a burn-out contest around 12 or 1 o'clock. You can then head to Devil's tower. Cheap draft beer (relatively speaking) at the tourist shop behind the ice cream parlor. "Reasonably" priced BBQ hotdogs and hamburgers also. I recommend a stop in Hulett. Cheaper beer and food and sometimes live music. Next is the "Stone House" which is only open around the Rally. Do not speed between Hulett and the Stone House, because the Wyoming State Patrol are "thick as thieves" on this route. Beautiful ride though. Also live music there as well as drink and food. The route then takes you to the new Full-throttle but from a different direction. You miss a lot of the Sturgis traffic this way.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Going with my brother. Trailering to Wyoming to my Bro and Sis n laws place, they are 4 hrs from Sturgis. Then Ride to Sturgis and surrounding areas.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Here is a good route on Wednesday's. Sundance has a burn-out contest around 12 or 1 o'clock. You can then head to Devil's tower. Cheap draft beer (relatively speaking) at the tourist shop behind the ice cream parlor. "Reasonably" priced BBQ hotdogs and hamburgers also. I recommend a stop in Hulett. Cheaper beer and food and sometimes live music. Next is the "Stone House" which is only open around the Rally. Do not speed between Hulett and the Stone House, because the Wyoming State Patrol are "thick as thieves" on this route. Beautiful ride though. Also live music there as well as drink and food. The route then takes you to the new Full-throttle but from a different direction. You miss a lot of the Sturgis traffic this way.

Here is an alternate Wednesday ride to Sundance etc, that includes Spearfish Canyon. Again, WY does love their state patrol during the Rally!

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Here is an alternate Wednesday ride to Sundance etc, that includes Spearfish Canyon. Again, WY does love their state patrol during the Rally!

Here is another option. I recommend seeing the Badlands at least once. Might as well stop off a Wall Drug along the way for an ice cream code if it is a hot day. The Wagon Wheel Bar is a great hole-in-the-wall for cheaper drink and food. This route takes a back road to Wall. Faster if you do I-90, depends on your priorities.

I also mapped a route through Sturgis on side-streets. This is useful when the main entrance gets clogged up with stop and go traffic (mostly stop). This route also returns via Nemo Road and Vanocker Canyon Rd.

There is a lot of options on this route, so it should give you some ideas if interested.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts