Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ,first time going to sturgis wife is 48 i am 47 called rest and ride campground they have cabins with ac she is saying she will be ok with showers a few feet away.also calling rapid city to see if hotel is available really want to make the best choice.i know we will do daytrips on the bike and downtown one day.
Leaving florida august 3rd have a f150 with a 8X12 open trailer for my rgc plan on stopping in tenn for night then iowa next day to see pals then sturgis day 3.plan on sating for rally from the 6th to 12th then back home.
please all advice will be helpfull thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
Enjoy! :D
Suggestions: Mount Rushmore; Iron Mountain Road; Needles; Custer State Park; Badlands (all day trip); Devils Tower (all day trip); Deadwood; Spearfish Canyon.

·
878 Posts
You will sleep better in Rapid City...rather than a campground in the Sturgis area.

Black Hills Harley Davidson has a "mini-Sturgis" for vendors at the dealership. Actually I go there both on my way in and and out. It keeps me from having to stop at all the vendors in Sturgis proper...and is far less crowded.

When you do the Main Street thing, park early morning in McDonald's parking lot, and make it your "base" of operations. There is enough activity there to keep your stuff safe, and it is a very short walk to the wild side. Besides there are bikini bike washes on the way...hint...walk behind your significant other...she can't see ya looking...

Be ready to to go nuts waiting for bikes to get the hell out of the way. Plenty of amateur riders that can't get on the go handle and get pulled into traffic...waited 20 minutes to get onto the highway to get out of there one time...and I was within 100 feet of the intersection.

Bring all weather clothing. Be ready to freeze or cook. Be ready to get wet. Those thunderboomers are there fast! See if you can find out when the B1 bomber will make one of it's flights low over the masses...it wins the loud pipes competition hands down. It's fun to see the looks on jaded biker's faces when it thunders through the valley.

·
878 Posts
...oh, and be ready to see things you shouldn't see. Damn...some of the exposed bodies shouldn't be naked in their own shower...

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
ok ,first time going to sturgis wife is 48 i am 47 called rest and ride campground they have cabins with ac she is saying she will be ok with showers a few feet away.also calling rapid city to see if hotel is available really want to make the best choice.i know we will do daytrips on the bike and downtown one day.
Leaving florida august 3rd have a f150 with a 8X12 open trailer for my rgc plan on stopping in tenn for night then iowa next day to see pals then sturgis day 3.plan on sating for rally from the 6th to 12th then back home.
please all advice will be helpfull thanks

Those cabins look like a small box. Call this place and see if they have any cabins left. http://www.lakeparkcampground.com/ Air conditioned, cable TV, kitchen (stove, fridge, microwave), bathroom w/shower. Bedding and dinnerware provided. Real bed!!!!! And a grill outside :D

This is the cabin my wife and I stay in when we're there

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Might want to check out Big Sky Motel in Rapid City as well. We stayed there two years ago, and it was great. Great jumpin off point for all the rides.

Rowdy

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Do the campground thing, adds to the experience, both times we've been there we slept in a tent 100yds off I90 just outside of town, never noticed the noise after the 1st nite.

Do your riding in the morning, get up 8-ish and go ride till noon or 2pm, by then it will be getting hot. Go back to the campground and nap then go into Sturgis in the evening. This will keep you out of the heat, and you'll get your riding in before the idiots get out of bed. If you intend to go out to the Badlands do it early in the morning before it gets hot and windy. I90 east of Rapid City is one of the windiest places on earth I think, happens every afternoon.

The rest stops along I90 all have their welcome centers fully staffed handing out all kinds of good info and most importantly really good maps of all the major roads.

Take plenty of cash, figure on $100/day per person to be safe. Make sure your credit cards and debit cards won't expire on you during the trip(seen it happen). Call your credit card company and let them know you will be on vacation.
Eat at the regular restaurants, yes, McDonalds is safe, they are less likely to have their prices jacked up. The street vendors are obscenely priced.
Our first stop after setting up camp is the local grocery store for water. There's a grocery store next to the Sturgis community center that has really good specials on all the stuff you'll need for the week.

Practice your low speed parking lot riding skills, you'll need them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Do the campground thing, adds to the experience, both times we've been there we slept in a tent 100yds off I90 just outside of town, never noticed the noise after the 1st nite.

Do your riding in the morning, get up 8-ish and go ride till noon or 2pm, by then it will be getting hot. Go back to the campground and nap then go into Sturgis in the evening. This will keep you out of the heat, and you'll get your riding in before the idiots get out of bed. If you intend to go out to the Badlands do it early in the morning before it gets hot and windy. I90 east of Rapid City is one of the windiest places on earth I think, happens every afternoon.

The rest stops along I90 all have their welcome centers fully staffed handing out all kinds of good info and most importantly really good maps of all the major roads.

Take plenty of cash, figure on $100/day per person to be safe. Make sure your credit cards and debit cards won't expire on you during the trip(seen it happen). Call your credit card company and let them know you will be on vacation.
Eat at the regular restaurants, yes, McDonalds is safe, they are less likely to have their prices jacked up. The street vendors are obscenely priced.
Our first stop after setting up camp is the local grocery store for water. There's a grocery store next to the Sturgis community center that has really good specials on all the stuff you'll need for the week.

Practice your low speed parking lot riding skills, you'll need them.

Great ideas we stay outside of town on a friends property for about 12 dollars a day, my best friend has known them for a while. and buy your liqour before you get there will really help. Get a saddle bag cooler as well. Best of luck and ride safe. make sure you have all types of gear just for sitting around you are going to need it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Don't miss Chief Crazy Horse Mountain. It makes Rushmore look like a postage stamp.

You could tent camp or rent a camper at the Sturgis RV Park. I camped there last year, but a month before the rally. You'll probably get little peace and quiet there, but you'll right in the middle of the party!

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
122 days 13 hours 27 minutes and 15 seconds to go.
You are heading there 2 days after me. 120 days 16 hours 54 minutes and 48 seconds for me.

Where, you staying? We'll have to do lunch at the Throttle.

And you must have the same sidebar gadget that I do :D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Don't miss Chief Crazy Horse Mountain. It makes Rushmore look like a postage stamp.
Ah, yes. Definitely hit Crazy Horse!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dam lakepark camground has no opening for 1 bedroom cottage but thanks for the try.almost all hotels in rapid city are asking min 200 a night .i will keep looking this forum is great and i love that everybody says i have a grandpa bike

·
Registered
184 Posts
try the Super 8 in Rapid City, we had to book for the entire week, but got it for 7-800 for the week... not bad considering other room rates. yes, it was a super 8, but i gotta say it was the nicest super 8 i have ever seen. towels and hoses for washing bikes was free. breakfast included. and a great group of people gathered outside every evening for drinks and all. it's right off I 90, gas station next door, and a few restaurants all walking distance.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
dam lakepark camground has no opening for 1 bedroom cottage but thanks for the try.almost all hotels in rapid city are asking min 200 a night .i will keep looking this forum is great and i love that everybody says i have a grandpa bike
Bummer

Here's some other places to try.

http://www.blackhillscabins.info/

Have you considered going the week BEFORE the rally?

Benefits:

All the vendors are open

All the rally bars are open

Not crowded

C H E A P E R

No lines to get a beer, or food, or to pee (I consider the last one to be the most important.... but I'm an old guy) :rolleyes:

The locals aren't (as) pissed off...... yet. :eek:

No traffic jam

Much easier to find a nice place to stay.

PARKING :D Self explanatory

The week before the rally there are usually over 100,000 bikes in the Sturgis area....... so you won't be alone

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
If you find a cabin or a hotel for a reasonable cost you might want to jump on it quick. If you find a place that is booked that you like perhaps ask if they will take your info anyway in case there is a cancellation. I imagine there are cancellations when the rally gets closer.

Camping is your best bang for the buck and you can always find a place to camp if you cannot find anywhere else. I like Cottonwood Creek Camp. It's quiet, shaded, they serve beer, have good shower facilites, and about 3-miles past the Broken Spoke.

I hope your ready for a hefty fuel bill trailering out. Gas prices are gonna be insane this summer. From Florida I would bet $1500 worth.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am not sure that I am going to stay there but there is a new hotel in Rapid City called Cambria, which is a Choice Hotel property. They had rooms available last week for arrival Friday August 3rd. The AAA price is roughly $200 a night, but check out the website. The place looks really nice. I'm debating whether to stay there or at another place in Deadwood at $300.00 a night.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
will try,that all makes sense but i guess i am thinking for the first time i want the full effect so to speak,called shade vally they are building a couple of more sheds 1100 clams
That's why I like to camp ($75 for the rally), plus I'm a tight wad. :D I think that is pretty much the going rate for those sheds out there. The good news is they have AC (Happy Wife) , the bad news is you share a toilet and shower facilities with everyone else as if you were camping. The one thing you might want to look for if you are not in a hotel is a place with Flushing Toilets. Some do, but from what I have researched most don't. That is the only negative about my camping place they have a privy with 4 toilets, but it gets a little ripe sometimes. :eek:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts