Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a couple of my buddies are riding to Sturgis the end of June this year to see sites we have not been able to while attending the rallies and being swarmed all over with thousands of bikers! We've had enough of that rally so we're doing it different this year. Headed up from southern Arizona to the Rapid City area, ride around for a few days then we'll head west to Yellowstone and then on back south to cactus country. Looking forward to the ride on my 2017 RG that I bought new in April 2017. Never have done a cross country on a glide but I expect it to be a good one. :grin:

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Me and a couple of my buddies are riding to Sturgis the end of June this year to see sites we have not been able to while attending the rallies and being swarmed all over with thousands of bikers! We've had enough of that rally so we're doing it different this year. Headed up from southern Arizona to the Rapid City area, ride around for a few days then we'll head west to Yellowstone and then on back south to cactus country. Looking forward to the ride on my 2017 RG that I bought new in April 2017. Never have done a cross country on a glide but I expect it to be a good one. :grin:
It's going to be an awesome ride. I did it early September last year. I refuse to go near them rally's. Hate them. I like to ride and see things. Nothing against them. For you guys that go more power to ya.

Here's my trip.

https://www.roadglide.org/10-road-trip-discussions-stories-pictures/366293-devils-tower-bust.html

·
Registered
982 Posts
I recommend staying in one of the smaller towns like Sturgis, Keystone, etc. Rapid City is kinda expensive when it comes to hotels, plus you have to deal with the morning & evening traffic in Rapid. (although it's not bad).

Lil Chief

·
Registered
982 Posts
Lilchief is on to something there. I stayed in Spearfish last year and started every day off with a ride down Spearfish Canyon. Put me in a great mood for the rest of the day.
My thoughts exactly. Wake up in the hills, grab some coffee and breakfast, and take off. Puts ya alot closer to all the scenic riding if ya stay somewhere in the hills, or even Sturgis. Vannocker Canyon is right there out of Sturgis, or one can take the back highway to Deadwood, then thru the hills. Remember, Rapid is the biggest city, with a military base close by, so regular folks are still gonna be going to work every morning. I dont see the point in spending 30-45 minutes in morning traffic to get to the scenic rides.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I recommend staying in one of the smaller towns like Sturgis, Keystone, etc. Rapid City is kinda expensive when it comes to hotels, plus you have to deal with the morning & evening traffic in Rapid. (although it's not bad).

Lil Chief
We stayed 3 miles out of Deadwood. While it was off season. It was still quiet and nice to be out of town.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's going to be an awesome ride. I did it early September last year. I refuse to go near them rally's. Hate them. I like to ride and see things. Nothing against them. For you guys that go more power to ya.

Here's my trip.

https://www.roadglide.org/10-road-trip-discussions-stories-pictures/366293-devils-tower-bust.html
I'm right there with you. Give me the open road and no line when I gotta pee. I've been to the Black Hills and the area a couple times. Never during the rally.
Did Daytona once. Not had the desire to go back.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you stay in Cody while visiting Yellowstone take a day to ride up to Red Rock, MT and then cross Beartooth Pass into the Northern entrance of Yellowstone. If that isn't one of the best rides you ever take than there is something wrong with you.
I think you meant Red Lodge. But I agree. Beartooth Pass is absolutely one of the best rides in the country!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The only concern I can see is going into/ through Yellowstone during the summer tourist season. Unless you're EXTREMELY LUCKY it will be bumper to bumper traffic. Now, if you don't mind getting cooked on a motorcycle for hours on end, go for it. Just my .02 Have a great trip! BTW: Bear-tooth pass is a MUST! I had never heard of it until I started asking for advice from all the road sage's on this here forum b4 I did my cross-country in '16; it is phenomenal!

·
Registered
188 Posts
We stayed 3 miles out of Deadwood. While it was off season. It was still quiet and nice to be out of town.

Custers the place for us, nice and quiet in the evening. Gold Pan Saloon is the place to be in the evenings lots of great people, beer and conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm planning a similar trip with a buddy. Leaving PA at the end of July. Heading to CO, through Rocky MT National Park, Flaming Gorge, Yellowstone, Bear Tooth, Glacier National Park, Stop in Sturgis for a night or two during the rally (for him not for me), make our way home. Camping all the way. Hope you have a great trip.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Lil Chief
only 1 place to stay in the hills....DEADWOOD

Food, Entertainment, activities, 3 directiosn to go every morning. Never HOT, just a fun town.

Sturgis outside the rally sucks, Spearfish is OK but your a little far west. I would avoid Rapid IMO. Deadwood the entire town is walkable. always good live music also

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ive been out there quite a few times over the years.
Deadwood is one of my favorite places to stay.
Lots of great food and places to visit all within walking distance.
Red Lodge MT is also a must for a couple of nights (I stay at the Alpine)
Beartooth Pass is a must along with CJH…if your in the area Ten Sleep and a wonderful place to stop for lunch.
And the Badlands…don’t forget the Badlands.
Enjoy your trip and take lots of pics.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The only concern I can see is going into/ through Yellowstone during the summer tourist season. Unless you're EXTREMELY LUCKY it will be bumper to bumper traffic. Now, if you don't mind getting cooked on a motorcycle for hours on end, go for it. Just my .02 Have a great trip! BTW: Bear-tooth pass is a MUST! I had never heard of it until I started asking for advice from all the road sage's on this here forum b4 I did my cross-country in '16; it is phenomenal!

I was there on the 4th of July in 2012 and did not experience traffic. Came in from Red Lodge on the 3rd to a line of 3 vehicles in front of me. Then spent the night in a KOA in West Yellowstone and no issues coming back in the next morning. Exited to the south.

Here are some pics of Beartooth pass and Yellowstone.

This is the level of traffic I encountered.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
If y'all are camping you can experience the night sky and the sites that the Hotel folks won't get to experience. If you are not camping you have to leave the Devil's Tower.

I camped at Horsethief Campground while in the Blackhills. Spent my evenings sitting on the porch of the camp store charging electronics and gazing at the night sky when the smoke would let me.

You do get to ride at a faster pace if you want when there is no rally going on which was great for the type of bike I was riding.

The ranger did warn me that loud exhaust and buffalo don't mix well together. I definitely felt a little vulnerable since this herd had calves to protect.

As part of your loop you should hit as many national parks in Utah that you can. They are all great, but my favorite was Capitol Reef National Monument because it is an Oasis in the desert.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If you stay in Cody while visiting Yellowstone take a day to ride up to Red Rock, MT and then cross Beartooth Pass into the Northern entrance of Yellowstone. If that isn't one of the best rides you ever take than there is something wrong with you.
Took that same route starting from Cody. One of my favorite rides ever doing the Beartooth Pass!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts