Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any sugar addicts out there? I'm a sugar fiend and in need of help. I can't put down the donuts and pepsi. They are the worst. I'm not a diabetic yet but if I don't stop I'll be one someday. It's not something I'm looking forward to but I'm seemingly helpless against it. I'm 57 but eat like I'm 18 and feel like I've been rode hard and but away wet. I'm like a junkie but my fix is sugar. I can't stay away from it. Anybody been down this road and come out the other side?

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
I'm on the road with you, I love sweets.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
389 Posts
Tough to cut the sweets I know as I am type 2 diabetic. Splenda is your friend for coffee and the like. If you have to have chocolate most of the big groceries have some sugar free stuff. Winco bulk has some good selections. Go easy on it cause it will give you the trots. The sweetening agent is Manitol, a baby laxative.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I can certainly relate to your sweet tooth. Before I changed my ways, to me a Sara Lee cheesecake was a "single serving". And I haven't had a donut in years and I really do miss them. But to keep my cholesterol and, to a lesser degree, my weight in line I gave up desserts. Period. Except for the low fat pumpkin pies my wife makes at Thanksgiving and Christmas, covered with non-dairy fat free (it really isn't bad) whipped cream, I haven't had ANY desserts in almost 2 years.

Now I do eat some sweets, but I stay away from refined white sugar. If I need to sweeten something I use honey or agave. Sweet, yes, but honey & agave both have some nutritional food value and aren't going to do you in like refined sugar. So, my oatmeal gets honey (or agave). And I warm a couple of slices of good bread in the microwave and then drizzle them with honey but NO butter or margarine. My hot cup of tea gets agave. My blender drink with a protein drink and couple of banana's gets some honey. Etc., etc., etc.

Hope this helps you a bit.

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
I'll give up sweets when my body is cold and stiff. ....... if I can't enjoy my food, I might as well starve. I may cut back. ....but not giving them up.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Soda is my "crack". I do eat the sweets but only once or twice a week. Soda i drink a few 20oz bottles a day. I am trying to limit that though. I do know if i can cut soda out completely id loose a bunch of weight. We all know how tough it is to stop something we're addicted to

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been able to quit the pepsi before. i did loose some weight in the process. But it never last for long. Sooner or later I get back on the juice. I tried diet soda but it's not the same.Exactly like being addicted to other things. some of use just have an addictive personalities and some of use are just addicts.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Can't help also need sweets, cookies, chocolate, ice cream, just to start. Hard to past on the desserts after a meal.
If must quit try sugar free items offer on many restaurants and supermarkets.
Use to drink two or three cases of soda a week changed to diet or zero cut to one case or less. Water was terrible with a meal at first sandwich or hamburgers can't go without soda.
Good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
117 Posts
sugar is just as addictive, if not more than most methamphetamines. The hardest part if you're going to do a cleanse is the first 2 weeks. after that it's usually pretty easy. I do a sugar cleanse about twice a year, and notice a drastic change in health and energy (for the positive). If you guys are interested, I can post the food style change, and the cleanse portion, it'll also help you lose weight. I run a performance athletics gym (professional athletes training center) so I deal with this stuff on a daily.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
I would rather eat dessert first. Its really hard for me to say no but Ive been doing pretty good. I have lost 31 lbs since the end of October.
I buy the 100 calorie packs of cookies and/or the 60 cal sugar free jello pudding cups to help my craving.
Like xdelaforcex said above, if you can get past the 2 wk detox, you'll do great. The first wk is a bitch but it gets easier the 2nd wk.
Thankfully I drink water 98% of the time so pop was never an issue for me.

·
Registered
934 Posts
My name is Dude and I am a sugarholic. I have been clean for about 3 hours and I need help. I would be interested in seeing the info on the sugar cleanse. Good job Tracy on dropping those LBs.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
any sugar addicts out there? I'm a sugar fiend and in need of help. I can't put down the donuts and pepsi. They are the worst. I'm not a diabetic yet but if I don't stop I'll be one someday. It's not something I'm looking forward to but I'm seemingly helpless against it. I'm 57 but eat like I'm 18 and feel like I've been rode hard and but away wet. I'm like a junkie but my fix is sugar. I can't stay away from it. Anybody been down this road and come out the other side?
Substitute those sweets with alcohol & cigars. You'll never look back.:D

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Good for you to try and change your life style! Studies show that sugar is 10 times more addictive than cocaine! Not easy to give up but you can do it. Take baby steps and give up the soda's for start. Did you know the ave soda has 10 tsp of sugar? Look at it this way would you put 10 tsb of sugar out of the bowl in your mouth? We use to consume 10-15 lbs per person per year of sugar in the 60's and 70's. Now the aver person consumes 150-200 lbs per year!! It's no wonder why we are over wt :) I use to have at least one candy bar a day till I realized I was putting on to much wt and could not drop it no matter how much I worked out. I have been sugar free now for 5 weeks and have lost 16lbs! Yep felt like crap the first few weeks but now I have no more cravens for the daily candy bar. I am not 100% sugar free and prob never will, I still use flavored creamer in my coffee. But at least I have cut down considerably. Hope this one testimony helps ya.

·
Registered
844 Posts
While I am in gd shape and athletic I also love cookies,cake ice cream, jelly bellies. About every 4 months I notice I wake up in the night and just have to have whatever I have in the house. That's when I know it's time for a Detox. I do a juice cleanse for 5 days and then no desserts for the next 3. After that I am gd to have a handful of JB, or 3-4 cookies and milk and am fine till the next time.
I do not really drink soda and never really have. Maybe 4-5 a yr usually at a party or dinner because I don't drink alcohol.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I to must admit I am a sugarhead! My lady even calls me sweets. My stress food / go to food is ICE-CREAM. Braums double scoop $1.99, Pint of blue bell $1.86,
Chic FIL a large vanilla shake with whip cream and cherry $3.68, marble slam Peach cream with pecans $5.63, and my ace in the hole Dairy Queen Medium tropical blizzard with snickers bar $4.63. I have put on 25lbs in the last year heaviest I have been in my life. Someone please schedule an intervention! :(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts