Road Glide banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
I to must admit I am a sugarhead! My lady even calls me sweets. My stress food / go to food is ICE-CREAM. Braums double scoop $1.99, Pint of blue bell $1.86,
Chic FIL a large vanilla shake with whip cream and cherry $3.68, marble slam Peach cream with pecans $5.63, and my ace in the hole Dairy Queen Medium tropical blizzard with snickers bar $4.63. I have put on 25lbs in the last year heaviest I have been in my life. Someone please schedule an intervention! :(

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Thanks TracyB :) and congrats on your weight loss. I gotta do better and don't laugh but the woman and I will be attending some Zumba classes.

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
Thanks!
You wont hear me laughing about the Zumba classes. I for one, HATE exercise with a passion especially in a public setting. Im paranoid that all the skinny people are watching me & making fun...lol

Good job on what you've doing and keep in mind that ice cream is the DEVIL! :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just read my original post. Halloween has come and gone. I'm still suckin' down the sugar. I've had so many mini candy bars this week. I'm almost in a sugar coma. I wished I had done something back in Feb 2014. I'm gonna try this month to get off Pepsi and sugar and switch to fresh juice and fruit. Gonna be a ruff ride esp without the bike to ride. Ole man winter is knockin' on our door here in the land of Misery. Wish me luck for I am weak.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I hear ya man. Good luck. I'm in the same boat only with coke (the drink). Its tough to stop the habit. I resently just stopped bringing soda in the house. I figured I'd try the baby steps first. I'll try this for awhile then I'll try to stop drinking it at work on my breaks eventually stopping drinking it all together. We'll see how that goes

·
Registered
633 Posts
I try just to cut the quantity in half at first. Drink half screw the lid back on and put it in the fridge. I don't eat half the pie now it's a small piece. It sucks but once you start seeing slow results it is not as bad as cold turkey. I've done that on other vices and with success but I was tuff to live with. Sometime baby steps aren't so bad good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
WOW, its been over a year since I've visited this post. Sad to report I'm still in the clutches of the sweets. I've tried to cut down or quit without much success. Gonna try it again. Baby steps seem like a good plan. Frickin sugar is everywhere I turn. Damn its like being addicted to a drug only you can fix almost anywhere.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My Dr said if I excercise, lose weight, eat my vegetables, cut out sugar, quit smoking cigars and drinking alcohol....I'm still going to die. Enjoy yourself just remember everything in moderation

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've been trying to cut out sugary stuff, and low fat flavored yogurt makes me feel like I am getting my fix. Strawberry or blueberry works for me. If you can make some small changes, that helps too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was diagnosed diabetic 18 months ago, so my choices were made for me.
Once you get over the first 6 months of a lifestyle change and cut our sugars and starches and NO fizzy drinks you actually come to terms with it.

However what is difficult is finding processed foods that DONT contain some sugar - oh - and be carefull of the high calary corn starch syrup as it is in so much stuff.

Another benefit is that I lost 23 kilos in the 18 months.

SLIM

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am 55 and am also a sugarholic!! I am 6'2" and a barrel chested 54" and have always hid my weight well and working construction kept me fairly healthy even though I was/am overweight. If you are an alcoholic or drug addict you quit. If you are addicted to food you have to cut down or eliminate some of your foods, difficult at best! I don't smoke, rarely drink, food is my one vice!!

About 6 months ago I decided to change and was doing very well. I had lost 30lbs and was walking 4+ miles a day plus 40-60 minutes on a stair stepper and feeling the best I had in years! On March 20 this year I got injured on the job and tore both shoulders. Couldn't walk or exercise due to pain. I put all the weight back on! I am going for the first surgery next Wednesday for the right shoulder. The last 2 weeks I am walking 5 miles every other day and trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and cutting out the snacks. Good luck to us all.

I guess I'm trying to say I feel your pain...

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Here's what's crazy, most people are so worried about what oils, fuels to put in their bikes that are REPLACEABLE! Why try to run your body on shit when you wouldn't expect your bike to run good on crap. We are programmed from day one to eat crap, fruit loops, frosted cereals, pancakes etc all loaded with carbs/sugar. Most of the time we aren't hungry, it's a sugar craving. Most people don't even realize how sugar dependent they are starting day with coffee which is ok but some load up with sugar and maybe a bagel or donut (carbs/sugar) then lunch rolls around and maybe a big subway sandwich (carbs=more sugar) and for dinner a big plate of pasta (more sugar) and then all the other snacks & sugary drinks on top. It's not a matter of if but when your body is gonna break down, we are not starfish that'll grow back limbs either. We are taught that fats are bad, all these low fat diets & foods are all bullshit. Once you get reprogrammed it'll change your life.

Here's an article you should read: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

Check out https://www.primalblueprint.com/what-is-the-primal-blueprint/

Here's a few gifts that sugar offers that'll keep on giving:
Sugar stimulates a physiological stressor-reaction cascade that provokes adrenaline and cortisol release and thickens the blood.
Sugar effectively disables your immune system by impairing white blood cells’ functioning.
Sugar decreases your body’s production of leptin, a hormone critical for appetite regulation.
Sugar induces significant oxidative stress in the body.
Sugar appears to fuel cancer cells. (Check out Free the Animal for much more on the cancer connection.)o
Sugar promotes fat storage and weight gain.
Sugar disrupts the effective transfer of amino acids to muscle tissue.
Sugar intake over time spurs insulin resistance, subsequent Type II diabetes and the entire host of related health issues like nerve damage and cardiovascular disease.
Yes, sugar is one insanely powerful drug. Addictive, to boot.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
So true,great info! For years and years people have been on these low or no fat diets,meanwhile the culprit for poor health has always been sugar and good fat has shown to be healthy and very much needed for the body. It's true,sometimes folks care more about the oil or best fuel they can put in their bikes but don't worry about "best fuel" for the body. Can start a another new oil thread on the forum typing with one hand while holding a giant big gulp Pepsi in the other LOL

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Dang, I thought I was the only one having difficulties. I can work for a couple weeks to loose just 5 lbs. A banana for breakfast, apple mid morning, a subway 6" sandwich for lunch with bottle of water and a sweet potato with blue cheese dressing for dinner. Walk 3 miles about 4 times a week. Have a couple slices of pizza on Friday evening and I gain back everything I lost during the week.
This crap of being hungry all the time is very distracting.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts