Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am going throught Yellowstone in mid July and going to Jackson Hole, Cody, Chief Joseph Highway, and Red Lodge, MT. Is there any roads around West Yellowstone like in Idaho or Montana that are really scenic and worth riding. I have a couple of days to mess around near the West Yellowstone area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

1BadGlide

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I rode down from Cataldo, ID to Yellowstone via 287 and then caught 287/191/20/89 into the west gate. Amazing scenery along the Madison River with many switchbacks, climbs, and dives. Look out for deer!

The Cody Rodeo is a BIG event. Check to see if your travel falls within it because the close off some of the roads. I told the officer that I was a volunteer and needed to get to the other end and they let me through. Everyone else was turned back and had to take an alternate route.

Have you been to Yellowstone before? It's pretty much a one lane ride in both directions and traffic is THICK. Be patient and remember how to ride in parade mode. Watch out for clueless rental camper drivers!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Good advice Shrug, the roads in the park stay in disrepair, timing is everything, course Beartooth, best part of Jackson is on the pass out of town, Cody has the guns & bars, lil town of dubosis..............alot depends on your which way your pointed.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
+1 on Bear tooth pass.. Didn't see it listed in your post, and is not to be missed..IMO

I would suggest booking a room early also if you plan on staying inside the park. I had to back track and stay outside the west gate entrance of Yellowstone. Because all the rooms were full last aug.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
In case your interested in a good breakfast place also. I enjoyed the Running Bear pancake house outside the west gate... Enjoy your trip :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have been to Yellowstone before. I am from Wyoming, but have never ridden up outside of West Yellowstone. This is our trip plan so far.

Day 1: (Monday) Ride from Rock Springs, WY to Jackson Hole. We can't leave until that afternoon.

Day 2: (Tuesday) Ride from Jackson Hole through Grand Teton National Park into Yellowstone and end up in West Yellowstone. I don't know if I want to do the eastern loop and up by Canyon and then over to West Yellowstone?

Day 3: (Wednesday) ??? Open to Suggestions

Day 4: (Thursday) ??? Open to Suggestions

Day 5: (Friday) Be in Cody that night to meet some others that are meeting us there.

Day 6: (Saturday) Ride to Red Lodge, MT via Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass

Day 7: (Sunday) Ride from Red Lodge, MT to home in Rock Springs, WY.

If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

1BadGlide

·
Registered
52 Posts
Grew up in that part of the country. +1 for what Shrug said. 287 takes you over to Ennis and then Virginia City which is a great little town. Should be a great trip for you!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Yes, I have been to Yellowstone before. I am from Wyoming, but have never ridden up outside of West Yellowstone. This is our trip plan so far.

I wasn't questioning your experience and your profile doesn't say where you're from. My point was that I looked at the terrain on Google satellite view and had expectations of being able to rip through the place, or at least not stop so often to let the family from Chicago stop their rental trailer to take pictures of every animal they see.

The park is beautiful and seeing the lake and realizing how far up it is was pretty cool. I suppose riding Yellowstone is like riding to Key West. It ain't that great, but it's a must do destination on a bike and the photos are excellent. My trip in and the one out to Sturgis were awesome.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Went in June 2001 from Evanston, was a nice ride up. Spent one day in a nasty hail storm but managed to keep trudging along. I ran into the same problem with a room in the park as I didn't reserve one and ended up riding into Gardner Mt to spend the night. Had a great time the traffic was slow but gave us time to take a bunch of pics. I don't have any route suggestions but all in all its a beautiful ride.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Shrug,

Please don't think I was being a SH*T-head by how I replied to what you posted. I was just trying to let you know that my background was from that general area. I need to update my profile. I appreciate all your help, input and everyone else also.

Thanks,

1BadGlide

W

·
0 Posts
They have been repaving the roads in the West side of the park from the Jackson Hole side of things. They should be much better than before. There is plenty of scenery to see, just whatever may catch your fancy. Aside from the typical deer issue, you also know that Big Ass Bison do exist.

Get as much Road Report information as possible. mdt.mt.org or call 511 for Montana road reports.

My primary concern for years (I live in Montana) are the friggin TOURONS. For those that don't know what that is, it's the Tourist that is a Moron. No matter if in a car, a motorhome or some other RV, they will stop on a dime to see something, even a Doe.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm looking forward to a 9 day trip in that area sept 2014. Please do a post ride write up. Hoping for less campers & slow go inside the park in sept. any concern for being surrounded by buffalo? Kind makes me nervous.....

W

·
0 Posts

I love it when I learn new words! That's one to remember!!
Any time, glad to add to your dictionary. :D

I'm looking forward to a 9 day trip in that area sept 2014. Please do a post ride write up. Hoping for less campers & slow go inside the park in sept. any concern for being surrounded by buffalo? Kind makes me nervous.....
September is a great time of year unless there is a good snow fall. Never can tell in parts of MT & WY.

Don't usually get surrounded by Bison unless you split a herd and that's not too wise. Just don't piss them off by revving up your bike and honking a horn. They are not afraid of anything!!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
If i wasn't @work, i photo ya that those BOFOS don't givasht how loud your pipes are or about your 2wheels, when in motion (usually slow) there head -horns larger than RGfairing. Even some tales of em charging GW's:eek: just remember the parks a figure 8

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm leaving texas on july 22,going to milion dallor highway then to yellowstone,red lodge and then to sturgis aug 2-3.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The west slope of the Tetons in Idaho is my hunting turf. If you want a change of pace and much less "tourons" (LOVE THAT!), try this route:

WY 22 out of Jackson over Teton Pass. WY 22 becomes ID 33.

In Victor, ID, head west on ID 31 to Swan Valley (VERY curvy and scenic). Stop for ice cream. Turn around and go back to Victor (home of my favorite beer, Bitch Creek Ale).

Head north on ID 33 to just past Tetonia and turn onto ID 32 to Marysville.

Take ID 47 from Marysville to where it rejoins US 20 near Harriman Stae Park.

Take US 20 to West Yellowstone and have a delicious bison steak and a large Moose Drool at Bullwinkle's!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts