Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Boom Stage 2 amp and Boom Stage 2 speakers in the faring. I want to add two speakers to the saddlebag lids.

I understand that I would need another Boom Stage 2 amp to go in the saddlebags. I really didn't want to give up space as I don't use a tour pack. I could go for the HD Rockford Fosgate Stage 2 amp in the faring and power all 4 speakers (provided that the Boom front speakers are compatible), or put all RF stage 2 speakers front and back and sell the Boom amp and speakers. Any suggestions?

Also, is the HD Rockford Fosgate amp and speakers that same as the Non HD version?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi Ken,

I don’t know why the price tag is on the options you described but I know it’s steep. Let me throw a new wrench in your plans. Be clear, I do not have a product to sell and you can do whatever you decide to do as it’s not my bank account! I can’t in good conscience recommend you follow the path you’ve outlined.

First, you’re buying overpriced, underperforming components. For the equipment that’s available in the open market, there’s no comparison. Bravo to HD for marketing and advertising their stereo stuff but anything you buy from HD is chasing bad money with bad money.

Second, you are proposing speakers in the bag lids. From someone who has been down this path, I can all but guarantee you will be disappointed in the route you’re considering. At a stoplight you will hear them - probably - but as soon as you let the clutch out, you are asking a garbage speaker that is underpowered to overcome a) distance and b) wind and c) road noise/wind noise. This is not an easy ask.

Unless you already have lids on the bike, you also have a fair expense ahead of you, running wires under the tank, drilling wires into your bags and mounting an amp back there.

Consider yanking all the boom out and putting a quality amp in the fairing and a GOOD set of speakers. You may find yourself not needing to add everything you are pondering. Sell the boom pieces to the next guy that drinks the Koolaid and never look back. I believe you can replace what you have for less than the budget you’re planning on and get a very quality sound coming from the fairing. If you want more, i would consider favoring lowers over lids if what you want is good sound. In this case you have sound coming from in front which takes two of the environmental challenges out of the mix. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with cpb. I took the stock stuff out of my 2020 and put in a SD amp, yellow baskets in the fairing and Mmats in the lowers and it is a night and day difference.

I probably would have went with yellow baskets in the lowers but I already had the Mmats when the yellow baskets came out.

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was a dose of reality. :)

So you’re saying that I basically won’t hear anything out of the lids? Since I changed my windshield from stock to a 13 inch Freedom I’m not able to hear the speakers well in my faring. I was assuming the same would be the case for the speakers in the lids.

The lowers arent an option for me as I hate lowers.

Would any amp and speakers be compatible with the Boom Infotainment system and work fine? Do you have any suggestions for amp and faring speakers?

Lastly, is the Harley version of Rockford Fosgate the same as the “regular” Rockford Fosgate offered directly from them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with cpb. I took the stock stuff out of my 2020 and put in a SD amp, yellow baskets in the fairing and Mmats in the lowers and it is a night and day difference.

I probably would have went with yellow baskets in the lowers but I already had the Mmats when the yellow baskets came out.
Amy specific SD amp model? Who makes the yellow baskets, and is there a model number, or just goes by size of the speaker. This is all compatible I assume with the entertainment system?

I assume you think the lids option is a waste as well? As mentioned, lowers aren’t an option for me.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I put in a stinger 2 channel amp and MMats speakers in the fairing. It’s compatible with the boom audio. I just needed to have the bike flashed for it.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Can confirm, speakers in the lids are pretty useless while riding. I have them for when its parked and I need tunes, and they are great for that. If all you need is some tunes while you are riding, focus on the front 2 speakers.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Any amp will be compatible with the Boom head unit. You can either get a Biketronics Line Leveler and it takes speaker level inputs and transitions them to RCA to feed your amp and also corrected the trash signal that Boom HU sends out OR get a PAC SNI-35 and convert speaker level to rca level and go to the dealer and have the correct flash put on the radio. Cost will be about equal.

Someone mentioned the stinger/mats coax. Great option and more budget friendly. I’ve heard that in a RG and it’s a great sound

The “one up” is to put a Soundigital 800.4 in the fairing and bridge it to a set of Ground Zero yellow basket coax speakers. Last I checked, this entire setup was being offered in the Parts for Sale section of this forum. Current owner decided to not do the upgrade. The advantage of the GZs is the tweeter is a little milder and the speaker will play quite a bit lower (80hz) compared to the mmats (100hz) giving you a little bit fuller sound.

Lids aren’t “a waste” but they’re also not “a good option” if you’re hoping to hear the music while riding.

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet but you guys all push me in the right direction, and certainly away from Harley offerings.

I spoke to a company called Garage Bagger Stereo. He asked how I liked to listen to music, in terms of a warmer sound or very detailed etc. He’s going to email me a few different options of amp and speakers.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,973 Posts
No one has responded to your question about the RF gear because that's brand new for the 2021s which are just hitting the dealer showrooms now. I don't think anyone has had an opportunity to really dig into that subject yet.

I agree with the other comments on here that all you really need is a 2 channel amp and two good quality speakers for the fairing. I took that route 10 years ago (spent about $500 total) and am still satisfied with my decision. I can hear the music well at 80mph and that's all I need. This isn't like a home 2 channel system, you have all kinds of things working against producing 'great sound' on a bike and you reach the point of diminishing returns for money spent fairly quickly, unless you're going to load up your TP and bags with amps, speakers, crossover circuits, etc. In the end, do what makes you happy based on your own needs and budget.

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No one has responded to your question about the RF gear because that's brand new for the 2021s which are just hitting the dealer showrooms now. I don't think anyone has had an opportunity to really dig into that subject yet.

I agree with the other comments on here that all you really need is a 2 channel amp and two good quality speakers for the fairing. I took that route 10 years ago (spent about $500 total) and am still satisfied with my decision. I can hear the music well at 80mph and that's all I need. This isn't like a home 2 channel system, you have all kinds of things working against producing 'great sound' on a bike and you reach the point of diminishing returns for money spent fairly quickly, unless you're going to load up your TP and bags with amps, speakers, crossover circuits, etc. In the end, do what makes you happy based on your own needs and budget.
I do agree with that. I'm not sure if, and how many people have actually heard the new RF audio. I also never found out if there is any difference between it and the RF amp and speakers in their own non HD line. In the end, I'm sure I can do a lot better not using these or Boom.

I still question not being able to hear the rear speakers. I have to assume that all of the people that have the rear speakers on their Ultra Classics can hear them. Is it going to be like they are in front of you? No, but they may offer fill for the fronts.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,973 Posts
As has been said above, bag lid speakers are terrific if you are stopped at a light or moving slowly through traffic or a parking lot, but once you get rolling "sound" doesn't have much of a chance against a 40-80 mph wind blowing right at it.

I have some serious 2 channel equipment for my home system, and recently invested in a new DAC and a new streamer/server, so I do really enjoy listening to music, and appreciate good sound. I was just trying to say that unless you're into having the biggest, baddest sound system at your local bike night, you won't gain an awful lot by adding an amp and two bag speakers. Invest in an amp and speakers for the fairing and if you pic the right equipment, you'll be very happy with the results. Have fun with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
@Ken6217, the most used Saddlebag Lid Speakers with good sound are MMats PA 690.4 CX, GroundZero 7x10 GZCF 7104XSPL, and Hertz SX 690 Neo SPL Coaxial.
Give The YouTube a try by searching those speakers I listed and listen with a good set of headphones to help You find the sound that You like.
Best Of Luck Bro!
Mike U.

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Ken6217, the most used Saddlebag Lid Speakers with good sound are MMats PA 690.4 CX, GroundZero 7x10 GZCF 7104XSPL, and Hertz SX 690 Neo SPL Coaxial.
Give The YouTube a try by searching those speakers I listed and listen with a good set of headphones to help You find the sound that You like.
Best Of Luck Bro!
Mike U.
Will do, Mike. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
As has been said above, bag lid speakers are terrific if you are stopped at a light or moving slowly through traffic or a parking lot, but once you get rolling "sound" doesn't have much of a chance against a 40-80 mph wind blowing right at it.

I have some serious 2 channel equipment for my home system, and recently invested in a new DAC and a new streamer/server, so I do really enjoy listening to music, and appreciate good sound. I was just trying to say that unless you're into having the biggest, baddest sound system at your local bike night, you won't gain an awful lot by adding an amp and two bag speakers. Invest in an amp and speakers for the fairing and if you pic the right equipment, you'll be very happy with the results. Have fun with whatever you decide to do.
Gonna 2nd this. Bag lid speakers just don't add much when you are going around 40 and up. I have them in mine and when I am moving it's like they aren't even there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing to mention is if you listen to FM radio I would get the Stinger amp. When I changed to the SD amp I lost most of my FM reception. The Stinger 700 bridged to a good set of coax will be way louder than the stock H-D stuff.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
One thing to mention is if you listen to FM radio I would get the Stinger amp. When I changed to the SD amp I lost most of my FM reception. The Stinger 700 bridged to a good set of coax will be way louder than the stock H-D stuff.
@SmittyGlide, I have three SD Amps on My Glide and still can pick up FM Radio although I rarely use it.
What FM antenna do You have? I have the Long OEM Antenna run up the side of the rails hidden.
Mike U.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My experience with 6x9s in the lids is that they’re for everyone else on the road to listen to, just not me. Understand that you’ve got speakers behind you — challenge 1. You have wind pushing sound backwards at 45mph to speakers that are already behind you - Challenge 2. Last, the amount of power you’ll need to get to hear the speakers well through challenge one and two will require a different amp and speakers that will tolerate that power. When I had them, I could hear them when I looked back for a lane change. I found myself constantly turning my head to see if they were playing. Sure they “fill” the sound and if you want to spend $1000 on “fill” nobody is stopping you. Many of us have been down this road before and are just trying to give you information to make a decision.

I have an ultra and have speakers in the TP pods and when I don’t have a passenger on, yes I can hear them quite well BUT I am also running 300w to a 98db speaker with a DSP that balances out the rest of the speakers in order to get that sound. If you are dead set on lids, skip the 6x9s and go directly to 8” lids and plan on driving them with 300+W. You’ll hear them!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts