Road Glide banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
That was a dose of reality. :)

So you’re saying that I basically won’t hear anything out of the lids? Since I changed my windshield from stock to a 13 inch Freedom I’m not able to hear the speakers well in my faring. I was assuming the same would be the case for the speakers in the lids.

The lowers arent an option for me as I hate lowers.

Would any amp and speakers be compatible with the Boom Infotainment system and work fine? Do you have any suggestions for amp and faring speakers?

Lastly, is the Harley version of Rockford Fosgate the same as the “regular” Rockford Fosgate offered directly from them?

Thanks!
Well guys, thanks for all the input. Speaker lids or out. Combination of you guys and the audio place also telling me it’s a waste of my money.
Not sure why you wouldn't install bag lis speaks. I have R.F. front and back with amp. I can hear the back speaks. True, when youre running 75 MPH they arent loud but without them is worse. They make a huge difference to me. Running the wires was not a big deal and R.F. gives you a cut out template for your stock lids.

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
IT's still on the back burner. A friend of mine has a pair of the lids with the cut out sold by HD, and I can get them for free. "Supposedly" are different than just cutting your own. Maybe a baffle or compartment it sits in to help the sound.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Don't buy into the hype of lid speakers while riding, at least not just by adding 6x9s. There is just too much working against speakers there to make a huge difference in riding sound.

I love my lid speakers, but they are there for when I am in town or parked. Very minimal difference in sound at speed from when I just had fairing speakers.

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It’s amazing the replies for and against. I guess it all comes down to each person’s definition of sound from the rear.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,406 Posts
I think the biggest thing people are saying is that bang for your buck lids don't add up. Will you hear them and are they cool to have sure but is it worth it for the cost? That is personal preference, the best advice has already been given, get a good set of fairing speakers and amp and if you feel you need more you can add lids later. I am sure if you go with the SD and GZ combo you will be more than satisfied and anything you add later will fall under the category of "unicorn hunting"

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I think the biggest thing people are saying is that bang for your buck lids don't add up. Will you hear them and are they cool to have sure but is it worth it for the cost? That is personal preference, the best advice has already been given, get a good set of fairing speakers and amp and if you feel you need more you can add lids later. I am sure if you go with the SD and GZ combo you will be more than satisfied and anything you add later will fall under the category of "unicorn hunting"
I understood that before I made my first post that the rear speakers maybe marginal at best. I was OK with that. Was just looking for some fill.

With regards to what the dealer put together for me, was not him upselling me. I asked him to put me together a package if cost wasn’t an issue out of curiosity. However I am not going that route.

I’m going with the 800.4 amp and GZ Coaxial speakers and call it a day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brand new to the site!
Didn't read all of the replies yet, but my recent experience might help. Maybe?
In short, I bought a 2020 RG in November. Upgraded to the Stage 1 Boom system. After about a week they told me it was on back-order until May! So I wait.
Then comes the 2021 reveal where they tell us about the team up with Rockford-Fosgate!
An IMMEDIATE call to the dealership and I cancel the Boom and switch to R-F.
Side note: the parts guy accidentally quoted me the Stage 2 and I said sure.
They just installed it AND IT SOUNDS AMAZING!!
I was told R-F actually designed the speakers specifically for the R-G where they point right at the driver.
This system is more for riding than sitting in a parking lot.
My system is just the standard 4 speaker setup, but they put the Amp in the left saddlebag.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agree with everyone else. Also depends on where u live. If your just cruising around town the sound great and def turn heads but highway forget it. Passenger may hear it. With that said, I went with the Fosgate kit. Super easy and you can swap out with other 6x9s if you want to later. I'm not sure about the HD Fosgate one (no experience with it) but if HD uses those weird 5x7 things they suck. IMHO if you do them def go with 6x9s. Good luck tho.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Boom Stage 2 amp and Boom Stage 2 speakers in the faring. I want to add two speakers to the saddlebag lids.

I understand that I would need another Boom Stage 2 amp to go in the saddlebags. I really didn't want to give up space as I don't use a tour pack. I could go for the HD Rockford Fosgate Stage 2 amp in the faring and power all 4 speakers (provided that the Boom front speakers are compatible), or put all RF stage 2 speakers front and back and sell the Boom amp and speakers. Any suggestions?

Also, is the HD Rockford Fosgate amp and speakers that same as the Non HD version?

Thanks in advance.
soundz customs. You can hear AND FEEL them in the saddlebag lids. They are expensive tho. But they are amazing. You can hear up to 80mph.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A lot of good advice here; def get away from HD 2 ohm stuff. Saddlebag lids are not so hot from an ROI perspective. I have a Biketronics BT4180 with 4-MMATS PA601.cx (about $100 ea) in the front fairing and Tour-Pak on my 2020 RGL and I rarely listen to it much higher than half-volume at 80 mph with a full face, and I like it loud. Clear as a bell. BC of the massive magnets on the speakers, I had to heat up the inside of the speaker enclosure with a heat gun for a couple minutes and push it in until flush (btwn 6-9 o'clock on the left and 3-6 o'clock on the right; heat until the plastic looks a little shiny, then quickly push it in until the mounting holes are flush. Def take the outer fairing off so as to not harm the paint). Seriously though, just two in the fairing is really sufficient with a 2 channel Biketronics BT2180 (a guy on HD Forums has one listed for $225) IMHO.

BTW, I did the $520 RF saddlebag kit (cut out the stock lids using their templates) on my 2018 RGS, very easy (Fat Head Cycles has a good video on the site), but with the BT4180 the RF TM90's sounded like they were about to turn into confetti; seriously bad. Couldn't turn them up very loud, or even enough to tell they were on...

·
Registered
367 Posts
I did the $520 RF saddlebag kit (cut out the stock lids using their templates) on my 2018 RGS, very easy (Fat Head Cycles has a good video on the site), but with the BT4180 the RF TM90's sounded like they were about to turn into confetti; seriously bad. Couldn't turn them up very loud, or even enough to tell they were on...
Kudos for this comment. I know when we make big upgrades it sucks to come back with a report that it didn’t work out as planned or worse “I wasted my money”. Less than a year ago I was running a set of Faital 10s in the bags and decided that they’d play louder if I gave them more power (duh, right?). Went from 325w each speaker to 750 each speaker and the result was less than impressive. It was hard to report back to the crew that adding 400w in additional power to each speaker was not worth the time, effort and money BUT that’s exactly how we learn and help others from making mistakes. Like many others here, I’ve had 50+ different speakers and amps in this bike, testing and trying to find the best possible setup. Some stay in for hours, some weeks, some stay for months but I’ve learned that nothing is ever permanent except the knowledge I’ve got from the mistakes I’ve made.

·
Registered
2018 RGS
7 Posts
I’m new here and seems like a perfect thread to say hello to everyone as I’m looking to upgrade my system on my 2018 RGS. With that being said.... hello. Anyways I’ve read through and absorbed what everyone has said here. My question is ... if I wanted to upgrade my stock system so that it was louder and clearer for me at highways speeds, and my wife could hear it as well, would lid speakers be the only way to go? Or can I accomplish this with just a fairing speaker upgrade and amp? And if there is a quality kit for the simple route, (front speakers /amp). Really would just like to get everything I need in one shot. Any help is appreciated in advance!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ref,
More and more I read these stereo threads, the below picture comes to mind as to how you want the speakers and sound coming at you. Regardless of what you think would work on a bike that is.

:p

P.S. Welcome too BTW!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
REF, welcome, there’s a recent thread (this week) titled 2 speaker install or something like that. Freakfxr is the OP and everything he did is what I’d recommend. Your passenger will hear the fairing. In fact, a passenger will all but eliminate anything coming from a tourpak pod and their legs sitting on floorboards obstruct anything coming from the lids. Your best bet is to invest in what’s in front of you, get it as solid as you can and make decisions from there. Lowers with the right speaker and a ton of power will also impact what a passenger hears far more than TP or lid speakers. This is coming from someone who has a passenger 75% of the time with TP pods and lids and a ton of power. Once they settle in, your rear stage goes bye bye.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts