Road Glide banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2018 RGS
7 Posts
REF, welcome, there’s a recent thread (this week) titled 2 speaker install or something like that. Freakfxr is the OP and everything he did is what I’d recommend. Your passenger will hear the fairing. In fact, a passenger will all but eliminate anything coming from a tourpak pod and their legs sitting on floorboards obstruct anything coming from the lids. Your best bet is to invest in what’s in front of you, get it as solid as you can and make decisions from there. Lowers with the right speaker and a ton of power will also impact what a passenger hears far more than TP or lid speakers. This is coming from someone who has a passenger 75% of the time with TP pods and lids and a ton of power. Once they settle in, your rear stage goes bye bye.
Thank you kindly sir. This is what I was looking for. I didn’t want to spend a fortune for the lids if it’s a negligible difference. I too have a passenger probably over more than 50% of the time. I am going to go with just the up front upgrade, guess I just needed some reassurance!! Again, you guys are great, thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also new to the forum. I ride a 2020 RGS scorched orange. A couple of my buddies have the Rockford Fosgate setup and I’ll say they are ok but for the money there’s much better out there. Check out americanhardbag.com. I went with the diamond audio setup front and rear. 800.4 amp, fosgate DSR1. Since my bike didn’t come with speakers in the lids I also had to cut them. Boss audio makes a kit that is about $200 less than Fosgate and since you won’t be using the speakers you’re better off buying that for the template, grill and speaker mounts. By the way it looks like it was made by fosgate for Boss, it’s exactly the same. You could run with just the diamond audio fairing speakers and amp and you’ll drown out the Fosgate four speaker setup at half the volume and it’ll be crystal clear. For me it was definitely worth the money.
252997E8-1527-4C1F-854F-56677486835A.jpeg

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
For 800 bucks- ish you get a full 2 speaker set up from Biketronics that blows away the new RF system. It's full plug and play and lifetime warranty. That's the BT 2180. Couple hundred more. The BT 2250. 180w per channel and 250w per channel. They have a 4180 and a 4250 also.

Just adding another option. But everyone is leading you in the right direction. Away from the HD stuff. I have no stock in BT. Just couldn't be happier with mine.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
There is a lot of great info on this thread. My thoughts on lid speakers, I have them and I like them and would do it again a lot sooner.

But, it took me 7 years to get there. I started with an amp and 2. Then added lowers which add a great increase in sound. This past summer I added lid speakers with no regrets. The stereo guy I used uses the RF speaker kit but
upgrades the speakers.

I have lost a little space in the bags and have to be careful how I pack them. I have had no water leaks after the better part of 1 riding season. For how I ride, 1 or 2 up mostly back roading maybe 60 and under (I ride very little super slab) in my opinion it completes the audio sound I wanted. As I said earlier, I wish I had done it sooner.

Good luck with your decision!

PS, ditch the Boom shit.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
There is a lot of great info on this thread. My thoughts on lid speakers, I have them and I like them and would do it again a lot sooner.

But, it took me 7 years to get there. I started with an amp and 2. Then added lowers which add a great increase in sound. This past summer I added lid speakers with no regrets. The stereo guy I used uses the RF speaker kit but
upgrades the speakers.

I have lost a little space in the bags and have to be careful how I pack them. I have had no water leaks after the better part of 1 riding season. For how I ride, 1 or 2 up mostly back roading maybe 60 and under (I ride very little super slab) in my opinion it completes the audio sound I wanted. As I said earlier, I wish I had done it sooner.

Good luck with your decision!

PS, ditch the Boom shit.
That's good info You have listed there @madmat .
I find that even tho the sound from lids gets washed out at higher speeds they still round out the whole system.
Mike U.

·
Registered
2018 RGS
7 Posts
For 800 bucks- ish you get a full 2 speaker set up from Biketronics that blows away the new RF system. It's full plug and play and lifetime warranty. That's the BT 2180. Couple hundred more. The BT 2250. 180w per channel and 250w per channel. They have a 4180 and a 4250 also.

Just adding another option. But everyone is leading you in the right direction. Away from the HD stuff. I have no stock in BT. Just couldn't be happier with mine.

I just happened to just pull the trigger on the BT setup with the 2180, coincidentally. Spoke with them on Friday, will be shipped out this week. Their customer service and warranties are what steered me towards them, as well as the reviews. Can’t wait to install this and for this NY winter to break so I can get out on the road. Feels like 6 months of winter in these parts.
Thank you everyone for the input

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I just happened to just pull the trigger on the BT setup with the 2180, coincidentally. Spoke with them on Friday, will be shipped out this week. Their customer service and warranties are what steered me towards them, as well as the reviews. Can’t wait to install this and for this NY winter to break so I can get out on the road. Feels like 6 months of winter in these parts.
You'll be happy with it for sure. I'm adding the Hertz SV 165s to my lowers. Just ordered the speakers Friday. I'm in NE Ohio. So I feel your pain in the weather.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
Congrats REF!
BT has some of the best Customer Service in the business.
Mike U.

·
Registered
2018 RGS
7 Posts
You'll be happy with it for sure. I'm adding the Hertz SV 165s to my lowers. Just ordered the speakers Friday. I'm in NE Ohio. So I feel your pain in the weather.

I’ll probably be doing that at some point down the road. We’ll see how this goes and what kind of sound I get with just the amp and upgraded speakers. I’ll be interested in what you think about yours once you get them installed. Please let us know.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm adding the Hertz SV 165s to my lowers.

Hi RFG, are you adding another amp to do this? If not, you’re taking speakers that sound great with 180w each, that you’re super happy with and cutting the power to 90w each. Atop that you’re adding a set of speaker that desperately WANT to play above 200W each and giving them 90w. More important, the Hertz SV 165s are designed to play between 150Hz and 8000Hz. If you’re running parallel off that one amp you have a situation. You’re sending a full spectrum of sound to a speaker designed to play less than half of it. The SVs are phenomenal speaker when used in the right configuration — bandpassed between 150 and 7500 and a shit ton of power- like 250+. What you’re planning simply won’t deliver the results you’re hoping for. As always, do as you wish and this is only an opinion that you didn’t ask for. Sounds like you’re already pregnant with the SVs but to make them work right, they require a bit more planning.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Hi RFG, are you adding another amp to do this? If not, you’re taking speakers that sound great with 180w each, that you’re super happy with and cutting the power to 90w each. Atop that you’re adding a set of speaker that desperately WANT to play above 200W each and giving them 90w. More important, the Hertz SV 165s are designed to play between 150Hz and 8000Hz. If you’re running parallel off that one amp you have a situation. You’re sending a full spectrum of sound to a speaker designed to play less than half of it. The SVs are phenomenal speaker when used in the right configuration — bandpassed between 150 and 7500 and a shit ton of power- like 250+. What you’re planning simply won’t deliver the results you’re hoping for. As always, do as you wish and this is only an opinion that you didn’t ask for. Sounds like you’re already pregnant with the SVs but to make them work right, they require a bit more planning.
I've heard from a few guys that have run this Amp this way and we're very happy with it. I have in the back of my head if I'm not happy I will get the 4250 for it. But was also told I would see a drop to about 130w. The Amp is supposed to compensate when it feels the extra draw. But like anything. It's subject to what ya like. I'm going with the 250.00 option to start. I want to do other stuff to the bike this winter too. Upgrading the front end and a 9" KW windshield. Already ordered the CVO rear fender. Doing an Amp now shuts down the budget. @BH103 ran this set up.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Spoke with Donna from Biketronics. She assured me that it will only drop to 120 to 130 watts. And said it's unlikely I will even notice. She also said some amps absolutely will drop that much. But theirs is designed not to. She said the 2 - 4ohm speakers in parallel will drop to 2 ohms and then be able to pull more power.

Speakers are on the way. Looking forward to seeing how this sounds.

Absolutely appreciate the input. Thanks

·
JMJOHN
1,034 Posts
REF, welcome, there’s a recent thread (this week) titled 2 speaker install or something like that. Freakfxr is the OP and everything he did is what I’d recommend. Your passenger will hear the fairing. In fact, a passenger will all but eliminate anything coming from a tourpak pod and their legs sitting on floorboards obstruct anything coming from the lids. Your best bet is to invest in what’s in front of you, get it as solid as you can and make decisions from there. Lowers with the right speaker and a ton of power will also impact what a passenger hears far more than TP or lid speakers. This is coming from someone who has a passenger 75% of the time with TP pods and lids and a ton of power. Once they settle in, your rear stage goes bye bye.
I agree with CP.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts