Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased my first Harley last summer, 2015 Road glide. Very soon i will be upgrading from stock handlebars, I am having trouble deciding what size of bars. I'm torn between 12" and 14" apes. I also have to keep in mind that I plan on purchasing a seat within the next year (taking my upgrades in baby steps). The seat I really like and seems to get great reviews on is the Lepera Maverick Daddy long legs which will move me back about 2". Note: I am 6'3" and constantly find myself trying to scoot back in the stock seat.

I guess my main concern is if I go with the 14" bars once i install a new seat they may be a bit much. I also have never had a bike with apes, but i do need to get my arms up and out a bit, I tend to get discomfort between my shoulder blades.

I would hate to buy new bars/seat and not have them workout. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Buy the seat then the bars. A little bit of patience for a life time of comfort, Or least as long as you own the bike. I did my bars first and now I "have" to change my seat. I wish I had gone 2" more on my bars and saved the money of changing the seat.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm 6'6" with a 40"inseam. I run a mustang summit seat with road 6 custom 13" standard apes. It suits me just right. Got the seat first, then the bars. With hd extended highway pegs I get a full extention on my legs, and the bars put my arms and hands just right for my riding style. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
You're right in realizing the seat will change the bar height. My 12" bars and CVO seat combo sit me as if I have 14" bars. When I put my Hammock seat on it moves me up at least 2" so now my 12" bars are more like a 10" bar. I'm more than ok with the variance. Because the seating position is really now purpose built. I couldn't have planned this if I tried. With the CVO I'm in a somewhat aggressive riding position. Still very comfortable. With the Hammock. I'm in that perfect touring position.

I'm 5' 10" with a 33ish" inseam. I would like have no issue with the 14s but I don't like the look. At 6' 3" I'd suggest you go with the 14" wife's cousin is 6' 3" he has the 13" road 6 customs and loves them.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Get these...
I was at a bike nite a few years back and there was a little guy with giant apes, looked like his but was barely on the seat as he rode away. Was it his bike? Did some one put them on as a joke? I don't know, but it looked ridiculous.

Back on topic, I'm 5' 9", 31 inseam, I have 12" JSR Customs and a stock seat and these fit me great! Since you plan on changing your seat, do that first, then put your hands up and see where you want them. But at your height, I think the 14's.

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
For your height, I would definitely suggest the 14..... if not a 16. 14 won’t be too tall, you have to remember that you can move the bars a little forward or backwards to fine tune your position.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
OP, Like you, I'm 6'3" and like you I had never ridden a bike with apes before. But I kept reading how every guy on here had em....and LOVED em. They all said they were MORE comfortable than stock bars.
I just didn't get it. I'd sit there on my bike making vroom vroom noises in the garage and holding my hands up about shoulder height and just think....wtf are these idiots talking about, this does NOT feel right.

And to top it off...often times guys on here would say it's better to get one size too big then one too small.

Yeah, I didn't get it.

Luckily, Factory 47 is local to me. And they run a booth at the Long Beach Cycle Swapmeet every month. They bring in bikes and have a demo / Fake bike thing welded up off a old frame and a single seat. You can sit on it and adjust the bars they rigged up to see how the different sizes feel. So I hopped on it. And pretty much just took it over for about 20 mins. Going back and forth between 14" and 16" bars. (took about 10 seconds to adjust back and forth) and you know what?

It wasn't uncomfortable. In fact it actually felt kinda natural. Totally went opposite of what my instinct thought it would be like.

So I ordered up a set of 16's and got em installed.

I haven't regretted it once. Not for one second. All the idiots were right (sorry guys)

I went from having burning in my upper back....inbetween my shoulders after about an hour to being able to ride hours with no issue.

That and a drivers backrest made ALL the difference. Now I can ride all day... and I'm on a stock seat.

6'3"?

Go 16's. Or at the VERY least....get over to the dealer find a used bike with 14's AND one with 16's and get some serious seat time in the parking lot and judge for yourself.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A buddy told me not to put 12's on but I did anyway. Thought the 14's would be too tall.
I ended up taking them off a couple of months later and putting on some 14's.

I shoulda listened.

Go woth the 14's & be done with it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Iff you're torn between 2 sizes,always get the taller ones,or you'll be wishing you had,sort of like a first bike,you always get a bigger one than you think you want,cause you'll be wanting a larger motorcycle in a month or two.

·
Registered
277 Posts
First piece of advice is check local ordinances. Some states say can’t be (insert “ value here) above the seating area, some (NH) can’t be above shoulder height.

I’ve got 12” khromewerks 2+2 bars on my 12 roadie with a Corbin Hollywood solo seat, wish I had gone taller. With the bend, they’re more like 11”. I’m 6’ with 30” inseam. Taller torso proportionately. I’ve got 16” Carlinis on the Roadking. Haven’t been able to ride yet as I’m waiting on the paint. However, just sitting on it, it feels much better than the khromewerks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts