Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '15 with the heated hammock seat for a little over a year. I'm 6'0" w/ 32" inseams and the seat has always made me feel a little too high up and close to the tank . . . but on long rides it has really been very comfortable seating-wise (no butt burn). I sat on a Sundowner seat on a 17 RGU at the local HD and it really felt great. Seemed to sit me a little lower and a little farther back from the tank both. So, I'm thinking about picking up a Sundowner for everyday use, and keep the hammock for long stuff.

Anyone who's used the Sundowner have advice or feedback on it???

Thanks in advance.

Ron

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I had a Sundowner seat on my 12 FLTRX. It was comfortable for long rides but really big and it showed without a TP on the back of the bike. Compared to the stock seat it sit me up quite a bit higher than the stock seat.

I eventually sold it and bought a Corbin solo and have been happy ever since. I don't have to change seats for long trips to short trips.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a sundowner on my 09 Dyna. It is a perfect travel companion, as per the name you can ride all day long and still feel confortable at arrival.
In terms of comfort to me is equal to the RGU seat.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I "borrowed" both the Sundowner and Hammock from the dealership when I bought my '18 to give them a run. The Sundowner was definitely comfortable but as stated in earlier posts by others, I felt like it pushed me up and forward. I just bought a Mustang Regal Touring Seat and have to say this thing is really comfortable (sits me back and down about 1-2"). I've only had it out for an hour or so at a time but love the riding position. Were pretty much the same height and inseam.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Considering I have an 09, and the Sundowner seat for the newer bikes I think is different than mine, take all this with a grain of salt...I really like my Sundowner, however, I absolutely wish it set me down/back more than it does. I have a 36" inseam, so you being a bit shorter, may find it works well for you. I normally run the CVO Solo Seat on my bike, as most of my riding is solo and I love that seat for me. When my wife does go, I put the Sundowner on with tourpack and we are good to go all day. I am seriously considering a LePera Daddy Long Legs seat to replace my Sundowner with, as it should give me more leg room and sit me down & back a bit over the Sundowner. You should be able to demo a Sundowner at your local dealership, I know you can at mine.?? Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a sundowner when I got my 18 and I felt the pad was way too squishy. After an hour to an hour and half it was like i was riding on the seat pan with my wife. The initial feel wasnt bad at all but I would just continue to sink in till I hit plastic. I'm 6'4" with a 34 inseam at 235 and the position was nice but the pad was just terrible. I switched to a mustang summit recently and as I have read previously, it is hard in the beginning but breaks in. I already went on two 100 mile rides on it and I didn't mind the firmness.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I am using a HD tall boy seat. I have been interested in the hammock or the sundowner as well but I must say I am completely happy how it rides and gives me the extra leg room. I am 6'1" with 34" inseam. Not sure I can bring myself to move forward towards the tank. Hoping to test ride some other seats but I will give the tall boy the true test to Sturgis in a week or so.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
I have had a sundowner seat for years and like it. I sent it off to Mean City Cycles in NC and had them modify it the way I wanted. I take it off when around home or use the stock seat, depending if 1 or 2 up, and have a Mustang single seat I use around home.

·
Administrator
10,483 Posts
I had a sundowner on my 08 RG , sure it's some what different for the new bikes , but I had a TP on full time so the look didn't stand out like without a TP .. I didn't like it at all , better than the stock seat , but was really disappointed ..

Trip to Pennsylvania , I was somewhere between miserable and sure wish it was better .
That's the problem with seats and bars and many other comfort items .. Even tho two peeps may be the same general size , what werks for one , will not for another ..

·
Registered
437 Posts
Everyone will have different opinions but may not mention that there are different types of Sundowner seats. I have the deep bucket Sundowner on my 2010. It’s not sexy to look at but sits me down and back from the tank.
I am 6’5” with a 36-ish inch inseam.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I went ahead and picked one up. I doubt it will be a perfect seat and mainly thinking of for non-long ride stuff. The hammock will definitely go back on for those. This sits me an inch oe so lower (I measured) and I just feel a little more planted when I stop at lights etc. For me it feels like a pretty good position. It’s funny to me that if I look down they both make me feel squished close to the tank. If I don’t look - especially this one - feels better. And we ride 2 up so much I want to avoid cutting into my wife’s space.

Maybe seating is like any motorcycle trip. It’s the journey - not the destination : )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts